Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red cherry shrimp

Options
  • 27-04-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

thinking of getting some rcs.
    i have x2 tropical tanks and one cold water tank and id like something different.
    i was thinking of getting a 10 or 20 litre shrimp tank,
    but what size tank would you need to breed them?
    do i need to cycle a tank for shrimp,if so can i use filter media from existing tank to jump start it?
    any advice welcome on keeping shrimp as i want to do it right:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i suppose it depends on how many you are planning on getting in the first place.

i'd say a 50-60L tank would give you plenty of room for breeding, but i'd imagine that regardless of what you are putting into an aquarium, you'll need to properly cycle it first but a good squeeze from and established filter and maybe even some of the water from one of your other tanks should get you well on the way, assuming you've used either conditioner or RO water to fill the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

i have an old 10 gallon tank there i can use so,taught a smaller one would do tho.planning getting 20 to start with to allow for casualtys and that.
    i have a magic 200 filter(same as in link).would this type of filter be ok for shrimp or what would i need?i have seen that some filters arent suitable as they kill shrimp.
    thanks
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RESUN-MAGIC-JET-Submersible-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Filter-/200642399557?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2eb7380d45#ht_7242wt_952

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've a 25 litre and a 23 litre shrimp tank. I would start with maybe 10 in 20 litres minimum, they breed pretty fast.
    The filter should be fine, you may need to put a piece of sponge over the intake to stop baby shrimp getting sucked in. Adults too, once a week I have to open up the filter and take out about 4 adults who've gotten wedged in between the sponges.

For starting it up, I just cut a piece of sponge from my other tank, wedged it into the filter without reducing the flow, and dropped food in the empty tank for about a week to make sure it was dealing with the waste.

cool,
    thanks for the info.
    going to cycle the tank and start off with 10.
    see how i get on.
    if there is any other tips please feel free to add:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I got 2 rcs and 2 black bee shrimp last weekend and just can't stop watching them! Now I'm wondering at the chances of me having gotten a male and female of each so they can breed and I'm thinking of going back to get a few more to up the chances! They're addictive :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

What you need to be wary of with shrimp is pH, ammonia and nitrites - swings in pH can harm their moulting process, and ammonia or nitrites = dead.

Check your pH before choosing the shrimp - for example, cherries won't breed at the same pH level as crystals will, and vice versa.
    You'd be better getting a shrimp to suit the pH rather than trying to change the pH to suit the shrimp.

And lots and lots of moss and wood, and some shrimp tubes are great for them as well, tie some moss onto them with string. It gives them a place to hide after moulting, and a safe place for babies to hatch.

Cherries are pretty hardy little things, mine have survived all sorts of disasters.

Silverfish wrote: »
    What you need to be wary of with shrimp is pH, ammonia and nitrites - swings in pH can harm their moulting process, and ammonia or nitrites = dead.

Check your pH before choosing the shrimp - for example, cherries won't breed at the same pH level as crystals will, and vice versa.
    You'd be better getting a shrimp to suit the pH rather than trying to change the pH to suit the shrimp.

And lots and lots of moss and wood, and some shrimp tubes are great for them as well, tie some moss onto them with string. It gives them a place to hide after moulting, and a safe place for babies to hatch.

Cherries are pretty hardy little things, mine have survived all sorts of disasters.

would it be ok to add moss and wood at a later stage?
    i have tank setup with gravel and plastic plants at the min,have old filter in to "jump start" the bacteria cycle in the tank

Advertisement