Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worcestershire sauce substitute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Brown sauce would probably be closer in taste, if you have some. Given the small quantity being added it shouldn't be too huge a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks Alex, we do have some brown sauce, thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you knew how they made it, you probably wouldn't eat it anyway. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Please don't tell us vibe666, I use it a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat Worcestershire sauce (anchovies).
    I use a little dark soy sauce instead, in any recipe that calls for Worcestershire sauce.

• Advertisement

Please don't tell us vibe666, I use it a lot!!
    don't worry, i won't, just don't let your curiosity get the better of you if you have a sensitive stomach! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

vibe666 wrote: »
    don't worry, i won't, just don't let your curiosity get the better of you if you have a sensitive stomach! ;)

Stick some spoiler tags on it and tell us. I've had a furious Google and it's not throwing up anything odd.

Waiting the "Worcestershire sauce is people" shocker......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The wikipedia page has a pretty good explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce

No worse than oriental fish sauce anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lea & Perrins ingredients.

Distilled White Vinegar, Molasses, Water, Sugar, Onions, Anchovies, Salt, Garlic, Cloves, Tamarind Extract, Natural Flavorings, Chili Pepper Extract.

Tamarind is in brown sauce, you can get tamarind paste in many asian supermarkets. Molasses is like treacle (some might say they are the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not so much the ingredients but the fact that it's fermented I think that puts some people off. One of the many stories / myths surrounding it's discovery is that it was a failed attempt at a sauce that was forgotten about and left in a cellar for 18 months to ferment and when discovered later was found to be much improved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Doesn't sound so bad after all!

Doesn't sound so bad after all!
    you might change your mind if you ever see the hairy bikers episode where they get to see how it's made and crack open an 18 month old barrel of rotten anchovies. :p

you might change your mind if you ever see the hairy bikers episode where they get to see how it's made and crack open an 18 month old barrel of rotten anchovies. :p

Think I'll give that a miss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

quaalude wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat Worcestershire sauce (anchovies).
    I use a little dark soy sauce instead, in any recipe that calls for Worcestershire sauce.

quaalude, Goodall's Yorkshire Relish tastes pretty much identical to Worcester Sauce, but doesn't have anchovies in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I doubt that myth is true. That's how fish sauce has been made for thousands of years.
    Basicaly, a tiny portion of Worcestershire is fish sauce. If that puts you off it you should probably give up asian food in general too.

Mellor wrote: »
    I doubt that myth is true. That's how fish sauce has been made for thousands of years.
    Basicaly, a tiny portion of Worcestershire is fish sauce. If that puts you off it you should probably give up asian food in general too.
    it's not a myth, the hairy bikers went to the factory where they make the stuff and they showed them the basics of the process, including opening up a barrel of 18 month old rotten fermented (bus basically rotten) anchovies so they could have a whiff of it before showing them some of the basics of how it's made.

don't forget there's quite a history of people around the world having rotten/fermented fish delicacies such as hákarl in iceland, rakfisk in norway and funazushi in japan so the idea of using ropey anchovies in worcestershire sauce isn't a new thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Alun wrote: »
    It's not so much the ingredients but the fact that it's fermented I think that puts some people off. One of the many stories / myths surrounding it's discovery is that it was a failed attempt at a sauce that was forgotten about and left in a cellar for 18 months to ferment and when discovered later was found to be much improved.

Its a not a myth, its a half story.

Worcestershire was introduced to England by a colonial who loved a sauce that he got when he lived in India. He asked for the list of ingredients, had it made ( by the kitchen staff, of course) and the result was rank. 18 months later someone tried it and it was it was lovely. The instructions he got in India failed to point out that it needed time to ferment / mature.

If you are put off by the the fact that is fermented for 18 months, so be it. I'm not and neither are lots of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

You're spot on there. Saw it on the telly so it must be true.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

quaalude, Goodall's Yorkshire Relish tastes pretty much identical to Worcester Sauce, but doesn't have anchovies in it.

Cheers for that, Little Alex!
    Will buy, try it and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

it's not a myth, the hairy bikers went to the factory where they make the stuff and they showed them the basics of the process, ...
    sorry, i'm not sure why your psot was quoted I was supposed to quote the previous post that said.
    One of the many stories / myths surrounding it's discovery is that it was a failed attempt at a sauce that was forgotten about and left in a cellar for 18 months to ferment and when discovered later was found to be much improved
    don't forget there's quite a history of people around the world having rotten/fermented fish delicacies such as hákarl in iceland, rakfisk in norway and funazushi in japan so the idea of using ropey anchovies in worcestershire sauce isn't a new thing. :)
    Yeah, I know.
    Which is why I menitoned fish sauce. Which is basically what they were making with the anchovies. it was made confusing my the wrong post quoted. Sorry.

As I said, its a tiny bit of fermented fish. Just like fish sauce, shouldn;t obther anyone.

• Advertisement

it's the gremlins! :p

Advertisement