Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale of ammunition by club

Options
  • 27-04-2012 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

We have recently formed a gun club,& for my sins i have been elected chairman, We have not had a gun club here for nearly 30 years, our nearest rfd is 25 miles away & he is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Most of our members have 100 cartridges on there licences. We have been having clay shoots for the past few months & one member ends up going to buy 1000 to 2000 cartridges & holding them in his house for up to a week. We don't want to continue with this practice. Can we as a club buy cartridges & sell them to members? Can we obtain licence to do the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Best way is to get an increase on the memebers ammo amount.

From the Garda Commissioner Guidelines it states:

The type or category of shooting being conducted by the applicant will be a key consideration when an issuing person is determining the amounts of ammunition to be specified in the firearm certificate. The following ratio of ammunition to purpose could be considered average:
    • Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    • Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    • Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    • Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.
    So if they are clay shooting they will have a good reason for an increase in ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

The only way I can think of is to register as a RFD for ammunition only.
    You would be able to stock cartridges and .22lr ammo.
    It costs €75 for 3 years I think.

Give this a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Remmie 223 wrote: »
    We have recently formed a gun club,& for my sins i have been elected chairman, We have not had a gun club here for nearly 30 years, our nearest rfd is 25 miles away & he is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Most of our members have 100 cartridges on there licences. We have been having clay shoots for the past few months & one member ends up going to buy 1000 to 2000 cartridges & holding them in his house for up to a week. We know he is breaking the law & we don't want to continue with this practice. Can we as a club buy cartridges & sell them to members? Can we obtain licence to do the same?

If it bothers ye that much get the licences changed next time they're up for renewal, the FO could probably even do it at the station. I think I have 1000 cartridges on my shotgun licenece, the Garda queried why i need that much and I explained it was for buying cartridges in bulk for clay shooting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's not as simple as getting the ammunition dealers license, and going at it. If i remember correctly under the law all firearms/ammo dealers must have a yearly tax clearance cert to renew their license. This means one of ye must register as a business, get a VAT number, C2, etc. This means if the s**t hits the fan you are classed as self employed and hence not entitled to Welfare, etc. Now you must provide detailed accounts to an accountant for your tax every coupe of months, and have him do the books to obtain this clearance cert. If you fail to do it then your ammo license is not renewed, and all the ammo must be removed.

Then there is the issue of security. If the CPO deems your house not to be secure it means building a seperate secure structure to hold the ammo with all the necessary alarms, etc.

There is more to it, but i looked into this a few years ago, and found that all the "hidden" or not so obvious things that need done make it more trouble than it's worth.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

Remmie 223 wrote: »
    We have recently formed a gun club,& for my sins i have been elected chairman, We have not had a gun club here for nearly 30 years, our nearest rfd is 25 miles away & he is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Most of our members have 100 cartridges on there licences. We have been having clay shoots for the past few months & one member ends up going to buy 1000 to 2000 cartridges & holding them in his house for up to a week. We don't want to continue with this practice. Can we as a club buy cartridges & sell them to members? Can we obtain licence to do the same?
    why not find a dealer that will do your club a deal on about 5000 cartridges,and get him to hold them for you and take it in bulk as you need it

• Advertisement
Advertisement