Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm feeling optimistic about the Leaving Cert!

• 27-04-2012 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey guys, is it just me or does the leaving cert seem much less of a struggle to get through now that the orals/practicals are over? I was stressing out over them, especially the irish (the dreaded 20) and now that they're finished, the content that is left of the courses is just revising over past exam questions and practicing the aural. Also, would anyone agree with me that it is so refreshing to be studying in english, rather than irish/french? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

It's not the Leaving Cert for me anymore. It's just 82% of the Leaving Cert. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Ive gotten less motivated I think.
    Just so much to do and no idea where to begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

biohaiid wrote: »
    Ive gotten less motivated I think.
    Just so much to do and no idea where to begin.
    You should write a list of what you realistically could have covered in every subject by June then break it up into manageable periods like a week. By the end of that week you should have a certain amount of your list done and the just repeat this until June!! :D That's what I'm doin and it's been working so far.. Makes you feel pretty good and that you're making progress which helps motivation! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I wish I was optimistic. I won't fail my LC, but I won't get what I want! It's really frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

The next week will be stressful for me - with these Construction projects due, but at least I've finally gotten this Geog Field Study over, and the orals. To be honest, I just want to get out of school and get the LC over with. If I have to spend another year in school I'll probably go insane - I've never enjoyed it. So best thing to do is just have a crap life for the next few weeks by doing loads of work, studying, not going out etc, and it'll pay off with your chosen college course being rewarded to you. What are people looking to do? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    The next week will be stressful for me - with these Construction projects due, but at least I've finally gotten this Geog Field Study over, and the orals. To be honest, I just want to get out of school and get the LC over with. If I have to spend another year in school I'll probably go insane - I've never enjoyed it. So best thing to do is just have a crap life for the next few weeks by doing loads of work, studying, not going out etc, and it'll pay off with your chosen college course being rewarded to you. What are people looking to do? :)

I'm looking at it with the same outlook it's the only thing that's getting me through! just putting in the work now so I will feel incredible when I get my chosen course! :D I'm looking to do corporate law at nuig :)

bluugirl wrote: »
    I'm looking at it with the same outlook it's the only thing that's getting me through! just putting in the work now so I will feel incredible when I get my chosen course! :D I'm looking to do corporate law at nuig :)

and just think about how good you'll be feeling when you put the last full stop of the last exam down. :) Then you can just get out and live life! For me hopefully it's Aviation Technology in DIT - may be looking to join the Air Corps when I leave :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

None of my subjects have projects or practicals, but it's definitely nice to have the orals over with... though now I'm thinking that I could've done better and hoping I did enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm hoping to study Civil Law & Business (BBL) in NUI Maynooth. I cannot wait to get the Leaving Cert. behind me and just close that door in my life completely. Aim? A1's in both my Business Subjects. How possible do you think would it be for me to get these Grades, I have to cop on and realise I need to do a lot more serious study

Business A1
    Economics A1
    Geography A2
    Music A2
    English A2
    French B2

In the Mocks I got:

Business (A1)
    Economics (A2)
    Geography (B1)
    Music (B3)
    English (A2)
    French (C2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 iblamecoco

@JonnyMcNamee: Thats what I'm doing too, and it really works! I think you have to do daily revision with the science subjects like chapter by chapter, but with the languages, you can focus in on them for one day each and then leave them for a week or so. Also I think aural practice should be a must on everyone's revision lists, I'm trying to do 2 per week at least in both irish/french.

@Chuchoter: I agree, we have great taste in music! ;)

@GaryIrv93: Yes, for the next 40 days our lives will comprise of studying and sleeping, but I completely agree with you, it will really be worth it in the long run! And to answer your question, I'm hoping to do primary school teaching in either St Pats/Marino. And I cannot wait to cross my last t and dot my last i in my last leaving cert exam, which will be Music (Listening) on the 21st.. whats your last exam?

@PictureFrame: Don't worry, you are well on your way to getting what you want! As I don't do any business subjects I can't advise you on them, but all I can say is that if you are looking to improve your grade in music, I would suggest writing out very short summaries of the key features in each work like A4 size for each section of the work, as I find this much easier to study from, rather than writing the notes directly onto the scores. I find that my score becomes so messy that I can't follow the melody line or read the scribbles of notes written beside them. Best of luck, and I'm so jealous of your mock result in english, its amazing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think the orals being over just indicates the beginning of the end :( I mean I'm really happy they're over and I'm so happy with how they went...but the pressure is really on now, and I'm completely burned out from my mocks. :(

Added to that is the fact that 3 or 4 of my teachers are expecting me to get high grades in their subjects, B1/A2s, and I dont even know if I'll manage - its really encouraging that they think I can do it but the pressure!

Aaaaaaaand there's always the "what if I fail maths" in the back of my mind. :D But I graduate in like...3 weeks? 4 weeks? So in that regard I just cant wait to get it started and get it done!

Is anyone else really nervous that this whole "less predictable" thing means we're gonna have absolutely awfully hard exams though?

If you're feeling really burned out after your mocks, maybe you should take the weekend off and do something you enjoy and just generally take it easy. And maybe catch up on some sleep too? Because an hour of study when you are mentally alert is much better than three when you're feeling burned out. And don't feel pressured by teachers expectations of your grades, just do your best, its all you can do (as cliché as it gets!). Are you doing higher/ordinary maths? :)

iblamecoco wrote: »
    If you're feeling really burned out after your mocks, maybe you should take the weekend off and do something you enjoy and just generally take it easy. And maybe catch up on some sleep too? Because an hour of study when you are mentally alert is much better than three when you're feeling burned out. And don't feel pressured by teachers expectations of your grades, just do your best, its all you can do (as cliché as it gets!). Are you doing higher/ordinary maths? :)
    I do take a bit of a break but I just dont even know where to start sometimes, like with history I've so much to do but I plan on not counting it, but I cant just ignore it at the same time. I get plenty of sleep anyways though, still tired a lot but I go to bed at 10pm :o When I do study I do it well I think though :) And that is true!

Higher level and I managed a C3 in the mocks, but I'd just absolutely hate to fail it when I dont need HL for my course, I just need an OD3 to get into the college - but I want the points :P How about you? :)

I'm in the same boat as you, I have one subject (chemistry) where I too don't know where to start, I've been advised to just concentrate on organic chemistry and the experiments, but what I say is, there are experiments in most topics, so I would have to have some knowledge of the topics that the experiment is based on, but that would require me to study a lot of differents chapters? Its seems like there is no way out with this one, I'm just going to have to put my heart and soul into it for the next few weeks... not looking forward to it...:( I'm doing ordinary level maths so I won't be counting it. I must admit, the bonus points appealed to me at one point, but then I remembered that I found Algebra 1 difficult... so I dropped to pass after the Junior Cert!

I'm in the same boat as you, I have one subject (chemistry) where I too don't know where to start, I've been advised to just concentrate on organic chemistry and the experiments, but what I say is, there are experiments in most topics, so I would have to have some knowledge of the topics that the experiment is based on, but that would require me to study a lot of differents chapters? Its seems like there is no way out with this one, I'm just going to have to put my heart and soul into it for the next few weeks... not looking forward to it...:( I'm doing ordinary level maths so I won't be counting it. I must admit, the bonus points appealed to me at one point, but then I remembered that I found Algebra 1 difficult... so I dropped to pass after the Junior Cert!
    Ugh same with history case studies! And even at that you cant be sure you're covered :eek: Haha yeah I got a B3 in the Algebra 1 test and failed Algebra 2 but managed an A1 streak after that and my teacher thought I'd manage a B1 in the LC...then I looked at exam papers and realized the actual standard :( I get it to an extent but project maths trig/geometry, 75 marks, I'll be lucky to get 1 mark :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Chemistry is horrible and will continue to be horrible, but then one day the whole thing will click. If you could, take a day per section, ie
    Bonding, periodic table trends, Radioactivity, Acids and Bases relevant experiments

PH and indicators, rates of reaction, chemical equilibrium, experiments

Oxidation and reduction, titrations

Organic will take two days

It will be a horrible week but do 7/8 hours a day and you'll be amazed how much you can get done. Its a short course and they ask the same thing every single year.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Is anyone else really nervous that this whole "less predictable" thing means we're gonna have absolutely awfully hard exams though?

To be honest I'm not paying attention to the question patterns, as they could always just decide to switch they around this year. Let's say for example with Geography there's been for example a River Q every year since 2000 (making this up completely) and then this year they might just decide to not put it in. Because there's a risk of that, I'm just going to study everything I can. What annoys me most about the 2012 LC is the Project Maths crap and the Irish Oral being worth 40%, they just had to turn it all around on our Leaving Certs....

@GaryIrv93: Yes, for the next 40 days our lives will comprise of studying and sleeping, but I completely agree with you, it will really be worth it in the long run! And to answer your question, I'm hoping to do primary school teaching in either St Pats/Marino. And I cannot wait to cross my last t and dot my last i in my last leaving cert exam, which will be Music (Listening) on the 21st.. whats your last exam?

Yes it's going to be stressful, but considering how quickly 4 -5 weeks can pass motivates me and warns me to cop on and to keep studying. I've been doing a good bit I think, however for the last 3 weeks i havn't been doing any due to my Construction project being due in a week. You know how we can be complete idiots and leave everything to the last minute!:D Primary Teaching is a good choice - go for it! My last exams Construction on the 15th June I think which I guess is an early enough date to be getting off :D Constructions easy enough I think, although the first Q is a big foundation one and can be pretty hard - they don't give you pictures to help you so you've got to read the Q carefully! Any plans for summer?

Chuchoter, I know you're right about the 7/8 hours a day but I have to admit I am dreading it! I really have a mental block when it comes to chemistry....but I'll try my best! :)

GaryIrv93, I really hope I get that course! I read an article recently that said there are 600 less leaving cert students who put teaching as their first choice this year, droppped from 3700 in 2008, to 3100 in 2012... so the points for college courses are determined by demand... so the points could drop a small bit (not a lot though). Also the 4 year course has made teaching less attractive, no longer the same length as an arts course. There also has been an overall drop of 11% in applications to do teaching! I'm expecting a drop of 5 points, nothing too drastic, but I'd be happy with that! :)

GaryIrv93, I really hope I get that course! I read an article recently that said there are 600 less leaving cert students who put teaching as their first choice this year, droppped from 3700 in 2008, to 3100 in 2012... so the points for college courses are determined by demand... so the points could drop a small bit (not a lot though). Also the 4 year course has made teaching less attractive, no longer the same length as an arts course. There also has been an overall drop of 11% in applications to do teaching! I'm expecting a drop of 5 points, nothing too drastic, but I'd be happy with that! :)

Only 600? :eek: I thought it was a good few thousand. Yeah it seems to be the same with Aviation Technology in DIT - last year it required only 285 points, this year it's suppossed to going up to the high 300's due to it's higher demand and with only about 40 places this year getting it will be more of a challenge. The high 300's for me is certainly doable, but still a bit of disappointment came there when I found out that it had moved up. At least people say it has, but no one seems to know how much exactly or whether it even has or not. I can just hope for the best. :o I was thinking about not going to college until next year with plans looking for a job once I leave school. Hopefully there I can reserve a place in my course if I get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Davin123

Hey guys, is it just me or does the leaving cert seem much less of a struggle to get through now that the orals/practicals are over? I was stressing out over them, especially the irish (the dreaded 20) and now that they're finished, the content that is left of the courses is just revising over past exam questions and practicing the aural. Also, would anyone agree with me that it is so refreshing to be studying in english, rather than irish/french? :)

yes , now that the orals are over i happy out. just getting stressed because of my parents saying study study study! :mad:
    but yeah looking to get around the 400 points range for computer science in nuig. got 300 points in the mocks but i wasnt studying well then and failed higher maths but dropped to ord , big relief!
    anyone else f**ked for dcg and history?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heheusofuni

okay this is more or a vent on my behalf rather than part pf this forum but ..my leaving cert is in one month and I actually think I've forgotten anything I've ever learned! I was just browsing through different forums about the leaving cert and everyone is aiming for 450+ and I was just wondering is there anyone else who's doing their LC now and is ****ED like me ! I'm in six honors subjects but I actually have the memory of a sieve I am completely average at everything I do and it's not like I don't try ! I mean I do my homework and study and notes etc nearly every night but now it's suddenly May and I don't know what has happened to me like if you put an exam paper in front of me I wouldn't be able to answer it ! infact I don't even know what I want to achieve by posting this ... just is there anyone else In the same boat as me ... I know I'm not going to do well in my LC but I don't think I'd b any better if I repeated ! and plus I havnt a noticen what I want to do in college ....

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

GaryIrv93 wrote: »

I find having the 'get it over with' attitude has led me to not being motivated- at all. I have my craft practical for Art in 4 days and I don't even have my Prep sheet started. I'm such a fail. ):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Davin123 wrote: »
    anyone else f**ked for dcg and history?

Fairly fecked for DCG, I'm just trying to keep practising as many questions as possible. My project will bring me up a lot, but the problem is I need to pass the drawing paper for that to happen! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Ye but the summers gonna feel so good after this

Advertisement