Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Vodka Recommendation

Options
  • 27-04-2012 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I've been invited to a polish families house on Sunday and I'd like to bring a bottle of vodka over to them as a gift. Can anyone recommend a bottle which they may like? The only brands I know of are Smirnoff and Huzzar, though I'm not sure if this what the Polish would normally drink. Do you know if there's a particular brand which the Polish tend to go for?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

A mate of mine brought Żubrówka back from Poland. Great flavour, blade of grass in it - popular with bison and locals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BBubr%C3%B3wka

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Ranelite wrote: »
    A mate of mine brought Żubrówka back from Poland. Great flavour, blade of grass in it - popular with bison and locals.

Thanks for that. I came across this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62660735 which also recommends that brand. I live in Cork and I'm not so sure that it can be picked up relatively easy down here, I'll give it a go tomorrow though.

If anyone else can recommend something which can be easily picked up then I'd appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

WYBOROWA VODKA

You should be able to pick this up anywhere, it's from poznan in poland and for me is one of the nicest vodka's on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'd recommand to stay away from vodka :D
    If you want to try a good quality Polish alcohol get "Miód pitny" it's similiar to Irish mead. There are few types (półtorak, dwójniak, trójniak, czwórniak) depending on the amount of water used to dilute it. Półtorak (means "one-and-a-halfer") is the strongest and with most intense favour. Serve on ice with slice of lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Pan Tadeuzse is my favourite, but Przemek's suggestions are good too. Nothing better than strong Polish Wodka straight from the Freezer, maybe with a little Apple Juice too. Na Zdrowie (Cheers!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Ukranian vodka rules - esp Nemiroff
    http://www.thefind.com/food/info-nemiroff-vodka

I like the Cranberry flavoured Nemiroff
    http://www.wineanthology.com/p-2885-nemiroff-cranberry.aspx

Crikey! There's plenty of choice, thanks a million! I'll scribble them down and check what the local offie has.

Owen wrote: »
    Pan Tadeuzse is my favourite, but Przemek's suggestions are good too. Nothing better than strong Polish Wodka straight from the Freezer, maybe with a little Apple Juice too. Na Zdrowie (Cheers!) :)

There's not many things that make polish vodka sound really gay.

But apple juice? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Belvedere Vodka is one of the best ones but it is expensive. WYBOROWA Vodka was mentioned and it is a really nice one for the money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ntlbell wrote: »

But apple juice? really?
    You make it sound like being gay is a bad thing.

Żubrówka and apple juice is popular, but I found it just too sweet.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    You make it sound like being gay is a bad thing.

Żubrówka and apple juice is popular, but I found it just too sweet.

Indeed, sorry and apologies if I offended anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Phew! Crisis over. Let's all have a drink. :)

tHB

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

But apple juice? really?

at the other end of the spectrum is the mad dog - rasberry extract at the bottyom of thr glass, vodka in the middle and Tabasco on top.

My advice is that instead of buying what they consider an inferior brand of vodka (and you really won't know what they think is good without asking them) consider buying them an Irish drink eg whiskey

at the other end of the spectrum is the mad dog - rasberry extract at the bottyom of thr glass, vodka in the middle and Tabasco on top.

My advice is that instead of buying what they consider an inferior brand of vodka (and you really won't know what they think is good without asking them) consider buying them an Irish drink eg whiskey

Tried the mad dog in poznan, really enjoyed the kick from the tabsco soothing of the rasp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Why not a bottle of Irish vodka?

Surely Polish peeps came to Ireland to experience new things?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

n97 mini wrote: »
    Why not a bottle of Irish vodka?

Surely Polish peeps came to Ireland to experience new things?

No one should be subjected to that!

I picked up a bottle of Żubrówka in my local Centra and brought it over yesterday, they seemed absolutely delighted with it and they liked that I put some research in to it, I told them to blame boards.ie if it's not good ;) Thanks a mill for all the suggestions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

If you don't like with apple juice try orange juice.

Did you know that:

"Żubrówka in the United States Żubrówka (bison grass)is prohibited as a food additive by the Food and Drug Administrationbecause it contains warfarin a drug that, under the trade name Coumadin, is the most widely prescribed oral anticoagulant drug in North America. Importation of Żubrówka was banned in 1978 by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
    When produced according to traditional methods (between one and two kilograms of grass per thousand litres of alcohol), Żubrówka contains approximately 12 milligrams of coumarin per litre. In 1999, distilleries that were not connected with the Polish brand introduced lower quality reformulated versions of the product,[1] sometimes using artificial flavors and colors, with the emblematic blade of grass in every bottle but "neutralised" so as to be coumarin-free. In 2011 the American licensee of the Polish company worked with Rémy Cointreau to introduce a new American formulation, which they called "Zu".[1]"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

But apple juice? really?

It's what they do in Poland ... :confused: But sure what would I know like ... I only went out with a Polish girl for 6 years ;)

It's what they do in Poland ... :confused: But sure what would I know like ... I only went out with a Polish girl for 6 years ;)

is she a hipster? ;)

Well after watching a German put banana juice in his beer, I would believe anything at this point :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement