Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad and the Kindle App

Options
  • 27-04-2012 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Has anyone found a good way of sideloading books onto the Kindle app on the HP Touchpad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I found this elsewhere on the Interwebs ...

It is assumed you have Kindle installed and have also installed the KindleImport program and done a full shutdown & restart (not Luna).

Step 1. Get a copy of Calibre and install it.

Step 2. Import your books into Calibre and check that all the meta data is correct (no funny characters in the book name, author sort order is consistant etc).

Step 3. If they are not .MOBI format, convert them to .MOBI. Set the output format type to "Kindle".

Step 4. You are finished with Calibre now. You now need the following files (the zip file here http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip). Open the zip file and copy all the files to the Calibre directory. On my Windows 7 PC, it's at {my documents}\Calibre - but check where yours is. You will see a list of authors as directories.

Step 5. Run the file "kindleside.bat" by doubleclicking on it. You may see the odd EXCM error - ignore it. If you see other errors, check them out.

Step 6. You will now have an extra directory called .palmkindle sitting there. Connect your TouchPad to your PC and put it into USB mode. Open the disk in file explorer. You will see a list of directories including (I hope) one called .palmkindle.

Step 7. Drag the .palmkindle directory from the calibre directory to the top level of your USB connected Touchpad. You should get a message asking if you want to merge the folder with one also called .palmkindle. If you don't, you've done it wrong! Wait till that has finished.

Step 8. Eject the Touchpad. Then run the KindleImport application that you installed. Touch "add new books". When that has finished and you see a long list of books, touch "Import books.

That's it. Start up Kindle and you should see your books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 88juniorfan

I've followed this method to a T, TOADVINE. Problem is when I put all my ebooks in to be converted I get different folders. A LOT of different folders. Does that mean I have to run that script in EVERY SINGLE folder, and then combine them all into one .palmkindle folder when they're done? It's gotta be easier than that......

Advertisement