Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It all works out the same - When its actually a rip off

Options
  • 27-04-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

Was talking to a mate in work yesterday from the UK, we both work in Germany, I live in the Netherlands.

At the moment he has a bit of a sideline going where he buys tyres off Germany eBay and then sells them on a Dutch website called Marktplaats for a healthy profit.

He also has an American Campervan that he needed to buy parts for, looked in the UK and then in Germany, there was a saving of around 200% buying them from a place in Munich.

Coffee is another one, driving over the border from Germany to the Netherlands, its about half the price.

Cars in Germany are about 30-40 percent cheaper than NL and in the UK you can pick up an old car for peanuts.

On the other side, in the UK you pay rates, which can be anything up to 2000 sterling per year, in Germany you can pay upto 3200 a year for you health insurance and in the Netherlands you pay 1100 per year.

My Motor Tax per year on a 2 Liter Diesel is 1400 euros / year, his 2 Liter Diesel in Germany is 360 euros / year.

He pays around 1.51 / liter for Diesel in Germany, I pay 1.39 / Liter in the Netherlands.

Ireland is cheaper than the Netherlands and Germany for Clothes (Going on a shopping trip next week) also cheaper for meat, beef and lamb are around half the price in Ireland.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that from living in a few different countries you can't compare one to the other, it costs what it costs in that country based on what people are willing to pay / can afford, it pretty much works out the same and you can exploit some cross border differences.

A true rip off is when you have a captive audience or when its price fixing in one particular market.

It's not a rip off when your comparing a local price to an online price or a price in another country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I am going to ignore your sensible arguments and instead call rip off because I saw something on Amazon which was way cheaper than what I could get it for in my local shop.

Rip off Ireland rabblerabblerabble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

What would you define a rip off to be, just out of curiosity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Something is only a rip off is you pay it. From what i see is doent matter how much something is people are always going to say its a rip off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The difference is for your tax euros in the Netherlands they get something in return from the state, like a functioning economy or some public services. Here we pay for everything but when we need something we have to go private or do without.

You get nothing in return in Ireland except the dole, everything else is run backwards and we are a total joke of a country. I do not mind taxation when the money is used and spent properly for the benefit of the nation. nstead most of taxes are going into the hands of Fianna Fail cronies through what they did whilst they were in power and sold the country into indentured slavery. For this reason I am against tax and do everything I can to avoid giving one penny to the Irish state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Stinicker wrote: »
    The difference is for your tax euros in the Netherlands they get something in return from the state, like a functioning economy or some public services. Here we pay for everything but when we need something we have to go private or do without.

You get nothing in return in Ireland except the dole, everything else is run backwards and we are a total joke of a country. I do not mind taxation when the money is used and spent properly for the benefit of the nation. nstead most of taxes are going into the hands of Fianna Fail cronies through what they did whilst they were in power and sold the country into indentured slavery. For this reason I am against tax and do everything I can to avoid giving one penny to the Irish state.

What do you think we get for our taxes in the Netherlands?

I have to pay private health insurance by law.
    My car tax is about double what it would cost in Ireland.
    My household tax is about 440 euro a year for a two bedroom apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

One of my best friend's is an air hostess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Stinicker wrote: »

I think you contradicted yourself there.

Advertisement