Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing tastes

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I understand the concept of an acquired taste, and have managed to acquire a love of olives and fresh coriander over time - but what about 'lost' tastes? I used to enjoy - even love - peanut butter, now the thought of it makes me feel a bit sick. Same goes for pasta, and now it seems fried mushrooms are becoming unpleasant. Avocados are another former love that I've fallen out with.

It's not like I've overdosed on any of the above, just eaten normal amounts over the years - I'm not allergic to nuts or anything else that I'm aware of. Do other people have this happen to them? A previously liked, or even loved, food gradually becomes off-putting? Any idea why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I dunno if you're male or female! But I have heard of tastes changing after pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only real change I've noticed is that I've lost my sweet tooth, and now prefer savoury tastes above sweet ones. It's not that I actively dislike sweet things, I just don't actively crave them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

the palate develops with age and experience imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I now don't like the taste of milk chocolate. My sweet tooth has effectively disappeared over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Alun wrote: »
    The only real change I've noticed is that I've lost my sweet tooth, and now prefer savoury tastes above sweet ones. It's not that I actively dislike sweet things, I just don't actively crave them any more.

Yeah, I'd say the same for me too.

In fact, I actively seek out strong flavours, between extra-hot curries and whiskies.

There was a time I would skimp on main course to have desert, but now I can't recall the last time I had desert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Darkginger wrote: »
    peanut butter, now the thought of it makes me feel a bit sick.
    I think people associate it with kids and as a cheap processed food. Some lad on come dine with me was making peanut soup and the narrator guy was sort of sneering about using peanut butter. And one of the guests was not impressed. If they had called it by another name they might have been OK with it, e.g. blended peanuts -which is what it is, some are 100% liquidised nuts, I think some people think its some sort of flavoured paste substitute.

Ketchup is another badmouthed food.

I think some products have changed over the years to get rid of the need for developing an acquired taste -e.g. guinness, on arthurs day you will see loads of people downing it no problem when its all the pub is serving, 20 years ago I would see people wincing when tasting it. I don't hear half as many people describing it as having an acquired taste these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've gone off foods after eating them too often for a long time.

I can usually go back to them after a break though.

Advertisement