Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies before gents ?

• 27-04-2012 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

I've always held a door open for a person (male or female) allowing them to enter before I exit, especially when I'm the person who is holding the door open, it means no bumping into each other or squashing pass.
    IMO it makes sense and its manors...

Recently noticed (especially in work) every time myself or another female is at the door if a man is there he will always insist on holding the door for the lady, allowing us through the door first... So much so that your in one of them "you go", "no you go ahead" sistuations... awkward

Got me thinking.........
    anyone else find this old fashioned ?
    Or do agree ladies before gents always ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

its so men can check out the ladies ass as she walks through the door, everyone knows that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

meh - chivalry ain't dead ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Shít before shovel. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Men are sexist pigs.

Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I will always hold the door open for a lady. it's not that i don't think you can do it yourself or anything like that but this is how i was brought up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

FatherLen wrote: »
    I will always hold the door open for a lady. it's not that i don't think you can do it yourself or anything like that but this is how i was brought up.

your dad taught you to check out their asses too then :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm always shocked how women never cop to the real reason we say 'Ladies first!' We get to see their arses without retribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I do it. Basic good manners cost nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I say ladies before gents, as somewhere in me I think it will help me get me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Basic manners cost nothing but I don't see why men should only hold doors open for women. That's not manners, that's just sexism. It may be 'good' sexism that (most) women appreciate but it's still sexist.

I'd hold a door open for a man or woman, especially if they seem in a rush or are carrying something big that means they have difficulty opening the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

You have to be in front if you're going downstairs, in case she falls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Ladies first here as well. Had the old "go ahead" "no, it's alright, you go ahead" thing happen plenty of times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What the fúck is it with women who always walk through the door just before I do or right after I do? I can't close the thing in their face becuase that'd be considered rude.

Women, give us men a chance to close the door when we are done with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I get a little rush of endorphins when people smile and say 'Thank you' to me for being mannerly and holding the door. So there it is, I hold the door open for purely selfish reasons.
    And to check out your ass.
    Irrespective of gender.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

i hold it for women because their weak little arms cant handle the weight of modern day doors!
    seriously though id walk through first mostly but hold the door until they can hold it for themselves, thus avoiding them either walking into the door or the door closing and being called a cnut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I always hold the door for someone irrespective of gender and will always allow the other person through the door first, the only exception being if I'm outside and they are inside and it's raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"The study said that holding a door open for a woman, carrying her shopping bags, or offering to take over driving duties on a long journey is actually an indication that a man doesn’t think a woman can do the tasks herself."

- The Journal

general rule of thumb. If you reach the door first, you hold it open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Women are weak and cannot hold doors open.
    Besides they should be in the kitchen making me a sammich

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Besides they should be in the kitchen making me a sammich

only a matter of time before this was said.
    congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

FatherLen wrote: »
    only a matter of time before this was said.
    congrats.

Thank you Father :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like holding the door particularly if I'm well ahead of the other person.
    I then stand there with a "c'mon, hurry up!" expression on my face as they speed up so it won't be too awkward.
    Life's little pleasures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

davet82 wrote: »
    its so men can check out the ladies ass as she walks through the door, everyone knows that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

Nothing wrong with a nice mannerly young man, its better than him swinging the door back into your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Will always do it, however if they refuse to say 'thanks' I will call them a geebag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

its hard to do or say anything to women these days without the fools on the midday intpretating them as being sexist. this is a good example of one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

paky wrote: »
    its hard to do or say anything to women these days without the fools on the midday intpretating them as being sexist. this is a good example of one
    Where? Or do you just want that to be the case?

Vast majority here are saying it's a nice thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've always done this. Whether it's a man or woman. No discrimination there. On bad days though it annoys me when the other person doesn't show gratitude. Not that I do it for that reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Sergeant wrote: »
    I do it. Basic good manners cost nothing.

True, advanced good manners cost a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

paky wrote: »

Would you hold a door open for a man?

Even if you wouldn't, I don't particularly care. It's still a nice thing to do if I ever find myself in the position that you're holding a door open for me. I'll smile and say thank you very much. But it's still sexist if you wouldn't do the same for a man

Not a particularly important sexist issue though...not in any way comparable to something like gender quotas or unequal pay etc. I'm just making a point that it is a sexist tradition, if you're not willing to afford the same decency and politeness to a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hold the door open for whoever...AND I'm a woman....

Is your mind utterly blown by that statement, society?

Bet it very well isnt because its what polite people do. Yet, we still have these darned threads.

Well darn socks, I say. With thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

FTGFOP wrote: »
    You have to be in front if you're going downstairs, in case she falls.

And, more importantly, behind when going upstairs, for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Adhamh

One thing that really twists my towel is when I open a door for myself, usually in a busy public place and a girl just walks through it from the other direction without saying thanks. Literally happened 5 times in the past three months.

Bitches and whores, mayne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Adhamh wrote: »
    One thing that really twists my towel is when I open a door for myself, usually in a busy public place and a girl just walks through it from the other direction without saying thanks. Literally happened 5 times in the past three months.

Bitches and whores, mayne.
    I find anyone, regardless of genitalia, can be capable of that unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Apple before the tart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

WindSock wrote: »
    I hold the door open for whoever...AND I'm a woman....

Is your mind utterly blown by that statement, society?

Bet it very well isnt because its what polite people do. Yet, we still have these darned threads.

Well darn socks, I say. With thread.

Yeah, except when there carrying shopping and the door has a clear shot of their nose, then I slam it for the laugh, I find it fills everyone who, witnessed that hilarity, with mirth and warmth, which decreases the stress of shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Cobwebs behind the picture :p

I would always keep the door open for the person behind me regardless of male or female, the male generally lets the woman go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

misunderstood title thread -thought you meant orgasms. In which case - always ladies before gents. Guys take note! :P;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

If the door opens towards me i would let the other person through first be they man or woman. otherwise door closes on the person going through

Id hold the door open for someone if they are with 3-5 paces any further and your just standing like a tool holding the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Ficheall wrote: »
    And, more importantly, behind when going upstairs, for the same reason.

Sure. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I generally hold the door open for most people regardless of sex (im female). Although men generally insist I go first majority of the time with the exception
    of when I'm working, even if I'm carrying a large tray of plates on my shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Dudess wrote: »
    Where? Or do you just want that to be the case?

Vast majority here are saying it's a nice thing to do.

It is a nice thing to do and the vast majority of folk with manners will offer assistance, irrespective of gender.

I had an ex-girlfriend that used to give out to me for holding/opening the door for her - "oh, so my little woman brain doesn't know what way the door opens?" No, i was just being polite, to you, my girlfriend! :confused:

If i offered to carry her shopping - "oh, so i'm a woman and i'm incapable of carrying heavy objects now?". No, i was just being polite, to you, my girlfriend! :confused:

Ah, she's my ex for a reason :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes, but if I think they aren't going to thank me, I let go and it hits them in the face, doesn't matter if they're 80, bang if you don't say thank you mam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

It is a nice thing to do and the vast majority of folk with manners will offer assistance, irrespective of gender.

I had an ex-girlfriend that used to give out to me for holding/opening the door for her - "oh, so my little woman brain doesn't know what way the door opens?" No, i was just being polite, to you, my girlfriend! :confused:

If i offered to carry her shopping - "oh, so i'm a woman and i'm incapable of carrying heavy objects now?". No, i was just being polite, to you, my girlfriend! :confused:

Ah, she's my ex for a reason :pac:

She was getting better sex somewhere else? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

biko wrote: »
    I like holding the door particularly if I'm well ahead of the other person.
    I then stand there with a "c'mon, hurry up!" expression on my face as they speed up so it won't be too awkward.
    Life's little pleasures.

I did that recently, I was going out, he was coming towards the door from the other direction. He didn't speed up, just strolled past me really slow, hands in pockets, not a nod or a thank you so I let the door go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I hold the door for all and sundry but when someone walks through it, like I'm a fcuking doorman and doesn't acknowledge in the slightest (with a nod, 'cheers', 'thanks' or offer of a blow job) then I feel like giving them a flat foot boot in the hole, sending them into the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

There Their They're doing it wrong and are not gentlemen.
    A gentleman opens the door and enters the room before the lady to ensure there is no danger.

Advertisement