Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's official - most Galway city dwellers are blowins!

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

One in four city people born outside Ireland
    The data shows that 25%, or one in every four residents, enumerated in Galway city on Census night were born outside the state. This is a far greater proportion that Dublin, Waterford, Cork or Limerick and the Census release says Galway is “the most international of the five major cities”.

The report notes that fewer than half (49.3%) of the 76,778 residents of Galway city were actually born in the city or county. In Dublin, almost 70% of the population was born in Dublin, while the same is true of Cork, Limerick and Waterford.

Of the 25% of the residents of Galway that were neither born in Galway or outside the country, 10% are from the surrounding counties of Connacht – Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim and Sligo – while another 10% approximately were born in Munster.

Come on fess up - who are you?

Edit - born in Mervue, raised in Castlegar now an economic refugee elsewhere

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

*points at someone else*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I am wondering - is galway the San Francisco of Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr justMary calls it the Hotel California of Ireland.

(And we're both blow-ins!)

In fairness though, with the number of people who claim not to have done the census form, it may just be that the locals are better at hiding from the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Such an illiberally titled article more 'céad míle' than "failte".

Galway is a cosmopolitan city to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Henry Street Boy here...born and bred :) But all my old Galway pals have left :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

So thats why all the jobs and women are nearly gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Grew up in Barna, live in salthill now.

My wife is american mind so our household nicely reflects the census figures

for the first time in my life i feel like i'm properly conforming

can't wait to wash the car on sunday morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The census was in April, well over ten thousand students, probably over twenty thousand
    Many from Galway but a lot from elsewhere and international too

Take that census in July and it would be a very different result

The students are a huge part of the population of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Myself and the last of the auld shtock have known this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The census was in April, well over ten thousand students, probably over twenty thousand

you could say that about every city that had a college tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

You could be living in Galway for the last 20 years and still be considered a blow-in by the natives...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The article doesn't say that "most Galway city dwellers are blow-ins", it says 25%....! Either way, it's great to part of such a cosmopolitan city.

Agreed! The city's hotels, B&Bs, hostels, campsites will be full to the brim of foreigners and Irish tourists in July. I'd say there are more people in Galway during peak summer months than off-peak when the students are gracing our soil.

Maybe we should carry out a Census on the last week of July when the Races are on. Galway is probably bigger than Cork for that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with Mikemac. A census taken on Sunday night inflates the population of Galway and other cities with third level insititutions. Ovefr the years have seen the buses leaving Mayo towns bringng students back to Galway, Sligo, DUbli.

A census taken on Saturday night would be a truer picture.

As it is pop figures for Galway are artificially inflated, and that of adjoining areas artifically depressed.

As investment follows the pop numbers, this is affecting prospects in areas outside of Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The article doesn't say that "most Galway city dwellers are blow-ins", it says 25%....! Either way, it's great to part of such a cosmopolitan city.

49.3% are from Galway or Co Galway.
    25% are from outside Ireland.
    10% are from the rest of Connacht
    10% are from Munster.
    ??% are from Ulster/Leinster/Mars/Venus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Agreed! The city's hotels, B&Bs, hostels, campsites will be full to the brim of foreigners and Irish tourists in July

The census figures are for habitual residents - residents of communal facilities (such as hotels) fill out a separate form and does not affect the official population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The article doesn't say that "most Galway city dwellers are blow-ins", it says 25%

Actually it says that 25% aren't born in Ireland. I'm the one that said blow-ins. Looks accurate too based on the quote highlighted in the OP.
    The report notes that fewer than half (49.3%) of the 76,778 residents of Galway city were actually born in the city or county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

snubbleste wrote: »
    49.3% are from Galway or Co Galway.
    25% are from outside Ireland.
    10% are from the rest of Connacht
    10% are from Munster.
    ??% are from Ulster/Leinster/Mars/Venus

??% = 100-49.3-25-10-10 = 5.7% from Ulster/Leinster/Mars/Venus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Tis quare wans as far as the eye can see. I love this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Born in Westsiiiiiiide!!!!!!! Now living out near Athenry:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Born in Renmore, moved to Castlelawn in 78, left there in 95 moved into Tirellan.
    Back to Castlelawn then Glen Rua, Tirellan, Bohermore, Whitestrand road, Ballybrit, Mullan Mor, Rinn Lia and now in Oranmore. Mother from Claddagh and Father from Woodquay so yeah pretty much a `weigan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

kevin65 wrote: »
    You could be living in Galway for the last 20 years and still be considered a blow-in by the natives...

Anybody who doesn't have family buried in Forthill Cemetery is
    considered a blow-in by the natives (auld shtock).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Anybody who doesn't have family buried in Forthill Cemetery is
    considered a blow-in by the natives (auld shtock).

And don't forget the stipulation about being a descendent of at least 2 Claddagh kings. (on both sides of the family)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

And don't forget the stipulation about being a descendent of at least 2 Claddagh kings. (on both sides of the family)

;)

Old old Galway. Like !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

From Dublin, moved here a year ago.

No love for west brits in this city!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Sure isn't half of Mayo down in Galway! (myself included)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 _Moss_

Here's a house full of us blowins! :D
    2 housemates are Polish, 1 is English, I'm from Mayo, and my BF is from the Galway County.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

City's full of fordners, Dubleens and Mayogians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Blown in here. Exiled here from Dublin after marrying the proverbial Galway girl. I suppose there's worse places like Longford or Nenagh. :eek: But my kids are born and bred Galwegians.

I liked to annoy my Galway friends by suggesting Galway town is merely the most western suburb of Dublin. As it turns out I wasn't far wrong.:p

But you Galway people should be proud. At least Galway is a place people come to stay rather desperately trying to get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I am the 49.3%

Occupy Eyre Square

i-am-the-493-occupy-eyre-square.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Born in Limerick, raised in Tipperary, college in Limerick.
    I'm part of the Munster 10%
    I guess being here for almost 13 years means I'm still only a recent blow in. :D

Advertisement