Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayfly Up???

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Heard the Mayfly has been up for over a week now on the corrib, is this true anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

I was there last weekend and saw a few of them hatching alright, but in no decent numbers . The fish were moving lively enough on the top and readily taking wets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Up on some parts of the lake, but not sure how that cold spell and wind of the last 2 days has affected the hatch. Oughterard-Glann-Cornamona was seeing hatches last weekend and early this week - 2 lads had 9 trout on the dap on Monday so they're feeding on them in some areas. Next week could be the best for hatches... I might get out tomorrow for a few hours and will report here what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Zzippy wrote: »
    Up on some parts of the lake, but not sure how that cold spell and wind of the last 2 days has affected the hatch. Oughterard-Glann-Cornamona was seeing hatches last weekend and early this week - 2 lads had 9 trout on the dap on Monday so they're feeding on them in some areas. Next week could be the best for hatches... I might get out tomorrow for a few hours and will report here what the story is.

Thanks, just dont want to arrive and be told I'm late!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Was out on Tuesday evening around Oughterard Bay area and saw quite a few Mayfly on the surface. Wasn't a major hatch by any means but there are certainly fly about. Fish seem to be taking them too but was talking to a guy tonight who had trout this week on wet Olive patterns so duffers fortnight hasn't past me by just yet thank god..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Out yesterday around Ballycurrin Bay and Inchiquin, big hatch of olives from 11-3, then mayfly started hatching, not a big hatch but enough to get trout feeding on the surface. Couldn't buy a rise while the olives were hatching, with wets, dries and nymphs, but once the mayfly hatch started we had a bit of action, mostly small fish but had one lovely trout about 3.5lbs :)
    Talking to other anglers there was some great fishing during the week, with lots of small fish returned and plenty of bigger fish caught too, between 2.5-4lbs mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Out on Sunday near Inchiquin and Greenfields. Plenty of mayfly on the water and could do no wrong with the dap. Had 10 fish to the boat in two hours for two rods - six were returned and the other four went into the pan. Some good sizes and biggest about 2.5lbs. Got stripped loads of times and lost a few too. Best fishing I've ever experienced.

...then took today off and was on the lake all day. Got stripped twice and the other rod landed one small one and that was it....ughh...loads of mayfly but the fish were just not interested in mine.

Mayfly competition on Sunday out of Oughterard, all are welcome. Entry is €25 and that gets you aside from entry into the competition gets you a steak dinner in the village afterwards. Here's hoping for a great days fishing.

Advertisement