Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charolais Bulls on Progressive Genetics

• 27-04-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi There,

Coming into breeding season now and looking the options this year for Charolais bulls with Progressive Genetics.

With the cull that happened last year in Enfield there is a lot of new French bulls PISTIL, NIPPUR an ICARE. Has anyone used these bulls. What are they like for calving and calf quality and what type would they suit best?

Mozart seems to be pushed this year despite being around for a good few years. I was thinking of trying him, what is he like for calving and what type of cow best suited. Also anyone know much about Mogador what is he like and if he can still be got.

Also do you know if HollowTree Nicholas (HWN), Pirate(PTE) and Alex (CF 61) are gone. They don't seem to be in this years catalogue. I have had some smashing calves off HWN and CF 61. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Hi There,

Coming into breeding season now and looking the options this year for Charolais bulls with Progressive Genetics.

With the cull that happened last year in Enfield there is a lot of new French bulls PISTIL, NIPPUR an ICARE. Has anyone used these bulls. What are they like for calving and calf quality and what type would they suit best?

Mozart seems to be pushed this year despite being around for a good few years. I was thinking of trying him, what is he like for calving and what type of cow best suited. Also anyone know much about Mogador what is he like and if he can still be got.

Also do you know if HollowTree Nicholas (HWN), Pirate(PTE) and Alex (CF 61) are gone. They don't seem to be in this years catalogue. I have had some smashing calves off HWN and CF 61. Thanks.

Mozart around for ages alright and not very tall himself. How did you find CF61 at calving.. i had only one from him but he was a brusier but fine calf now!

This year id be planning on using the likes of Limklin Bosco/CF85 on mature cows, hwn or pTE grand for 2nd calvers and the blonde Kilmoney Bruce if i can get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

Hi There,

Mogador is one of the best bulls around. he would want to be crossed with tallish cows. I am using Icare this year and sure il see after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

MDO was a great bull. better then MZT IMO. Not saying MZT is bad, just MDO is better.

Mdo is one of these bulls that lads forgot about when they went chasing after "the next big thing" and they would have been as well of sticking with something that worked
    First NPP calves were born very easily

PXT is doing the business in Ireland and France. Heavy, muscly weanlings Handy enough calving

HWN, PTE and 61 gone unfortunatly

NPP is easy calved. Will bring frame but not that muscley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What about CF85 ? Is he gone?

MDO was a great bull. better then MZT IMO. Not saying MZT is bad, just MDO is better.

Mdo is one of these bulls that lads forgot about when they went chasing after "the next big thing" and they would have been as well of sticking with something that worked

PXT is doing the business in Ireland and France. Heavy, muscly weanlings Handy enough calving

Fair play to you bogman, you are a fountain of information, hwn and Pte gone ... They widely used round here and will be missed, few straws left alright for this season I'd say.

Might try pistil too this year, any news on that KLU how is he breeding ? Never used him but was alot of hype about him as a test bull

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Did Pirate go with the IBR? He was a fully grown bull when I was a young lad running around the ai station in Mallow, Pirate, Mozart and Hortensia were in the 3 pens beside each other.

nah he died years ago but he was some bull for producing straws. thats why they only ran out recently

pakalasa wrote: »

couple of hundred left. get your order in monday if yolu want any hope of getting a few. might be a few more in the munster area

Bodacious wrote: »
    Fair play to you bogman, you are a fountain of information, hwn and Pte gone ... They widely used round here and will be missed, few straws left alright for this season I'd say.

Might try pistil too this year, any news on that KLU how is he breeding ? Never used him but was alot of hype about him as a test bull

yeah the two of them are a big loss.

KLU is ment to be breading pretty well but not that easy calved. mature cows only

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

Hi Bodacious,

I found Alex CF 61 mixed for calving. He calved without assistance on a few cows but I needed to use the jack on a few other ones. I suppose it depends on the cow too. I found him no worse than Pirate for calving. It is a pity he is gone. I was hoping to use him this year.

Also does anyone know can MDO straws be got easily or is he gone too. I wonder what the best replacement bulls in the book would be for HWN, CF 61 and Pirate. Thanks

• Advertisement

plenty of mdo.

npp probably the replacement for PTE.

new test bull FSZ with a nice easy calving pedigree

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GoodMan55985

Just wondering any update the bulls you are using this breeding season. I got an updated bull book from Progressive Genetics. One bull there called Angelus looks good anyone used him. Also Fleetwood is a new charolais bull. Any word on tim

I have used CF 85, Mogador, Nippur and lucky I got one Hollowtree Nicholas.

I used the Simmental, Curaheen Apostle also, hoping to breed some replacements off hin.

8615DE77.jpg

From left CF61 bull, KIB heifer and a heifer out of a stock bull.

Far left Red whitehead heifer i bought to replace a dead calf

9ED8A876.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

pakalasa wrote: »

I had some smashing calves out of him, I hope he`s not gone as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

We're happy with this 3 month old Heifer out of NPP, calved without assistance. Cow is a fairly ordinary looking BBX but rares good calves.

AYC86l.jpg

Advertisement