Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canadian Visa Types?

• 27-04-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

(please feel free to move this to the appropriate secion if I'm duplicating..)

I'm in the process of gathering documents for a Canadian visa application, but I'm confused about what kind of visa to apply for. I'm a qualified civil engineer (now working in IT) and I was hoping for a skilled job over there in either field.
    I'm not sure what the difference is between the IEC and the standard 18-35 visa & work permit application?? I'm 27...and confused :confused:

Any info would be great - thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SMM11

Ah I should say I just want to got there temporarily, so I assume I would start with the 1 year visas and see from there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Yea, I'd apply through the IEC system. It can be renewed once so that's 2 years sorted. After that you can look at sponsorship I guess. Not sure how it works over there really.

The paperwork is a nightmare and you'll be waiting ages for conformation of anything.

Out of the 5350 that were on offer only 1003 remain so I'd apply ASAP!

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SMM11

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I saw that the number was updated today to 1003 - I have all my documents together (almost) so should be able to apply soon. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Anyone know if you have to go through the whole process again to extend the IEC Visa by an additional year, or do you just have to request an extension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

Not 100% but from what I'm reading on this site, yes you do. You just apply as you did the first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Salmon wrote: »
    Anyone know if you have to go through the whole process again to extend the IEC Visa by an additional year, or do you just have to request an extension?

You cannot extend a work permit granted through the IEC program. It is a 1 year program. You can apply for another 1 and get it if you are still eligible tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cmulvey

hi, in relation to work permits for canada if i receieve a job offer, can i apply in canada or do you have to be outside canada to apply ? my plan is to go over on a holiday and try and get a job whilt there is this allowed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cmulvey wrote: »
    hi, in relation to work permits for canada if i receieve a job offer, can i apply in canada or do you have to be outside canada to apply ? my plan is to go over on a holiday and try and get a job whilt there is this allowed ?

yup

you just cant work

thanks, so i would then just have to cross the usa border if i then receieved a job offer !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

thanks, so i would then just have to cross the usa border if i then receieved a job offer !?

It is not allowed! You won't be granted entry to Canada if they think your intentions are to find work!

And you don't just get a signed piece of paper from an employer. They have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion on your behalf. It's a process that costs money and takes time. 3-4 months I belive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

NoelAPM wrote: »

It is not allowed! You won't be granted entry to Canada if they think your intentions are to find work!

And you don't just get a signed piece of paper from an employer. They have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion on your behalf. It's a process that costs money and takes time. 3-4 months I belive.

Doesnt cost any money but is a headache for a company.
    they must adevrtise the position for at least 28 days and prove they got no suitable canadians for the job.
    Then fill in a giant form and submit it and wait for it to be processed

NoelAPM wrote: »

you're allowed to look for work, you're just not allowed to actually work

right, well i clearly would have to booked a return flight home so it doesn't look suss but if its alot of trouble for a company to hire me over a canadian person i may as well wait at home and try to get work form here.

you wouldnt need to waste money on a flight home, just book a bus ticket to the states

Advertisement