Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice

Options
  • 27-04-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the army and have been considering college part-time/Evenings for some time now, but I don't have access to the same kind of guidance I did when i was at school:( unfortunately I never availed of any help when I was in school because the Army was always my plan. I'm not thinking of a change in career, I'm just looking to the future and trying to build as many bridges as possible and keep my options open and create new ones. I don't really understand all this CAO stuff or how to apply. Obviously Google can help with all that but I haven't even decided on a course yet?
    I'm looking for a course that will compliment my current skill set or enhance my current employment opportunities along with a language like Arabic or Hebrew??
    I completed my leaving cert in 08/09, I'm 22 so I don't know if I qualify for mature student entry or if any off that even matters for part time courses??

Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    userfriendly2:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You have to be over 23 to qualify as a mature student. Because you are not, your Leaving Certificate results will be required.

However, learning languages such as those may not require an application through the CAO. Have a look at nightcourses.com.

Do you want to do a degree, or just a short-term couse?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Thanks, Im looking to do a degree. I just brushed up on the rules and regs regarding mature students and yes i wont qualify until next year unfortunately:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You're too late anyway most institutions wont take late applications though the CAO for mature students (1st May) so you need to get your app in by 1st Feb 2013. Good luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I see that you are currently in the Army. I know someone in the army who went to college full time to do a degree which the army paid for. The degree was in an area which was useful to the army and would be useful at a later date.
    You should look into this and see if the army would pay for you to do further study which you could use in the army and which you could use at a later date if you were to leave the army.
    I would just check out if you left the army within a certain time period would they expect you to pay back the cost of this education which many private companies would.

Advertisement