Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

groupon vouchers

Options
  • 27-04-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

quick question:

if i buy a groupon voucher and fail to use it in the time specified willi get a refund for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Short answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Depends on the voucher as far as I know. I emailed them a few months back looking for a refund on one that I didn't use and they said no problem, but I had to provide evidence that I didn't use it. They make it so god damn difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

alternate answer, TRY...see if the company accepting the voucher will take the voucher anyway (if its a restaurant, they may want the business/goodwill) - like any business, it probably depends who answers the phone!!!.....or ring groupon and see if they will refund you or give a credit note.

my other half is hooked on deal sites and has managed pretty much managed each of the scenarios above (including no refund :mad: unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

quick question:

if i buy a groupon voucher and fail to use it in the time specified willi get a refund for it?

Generally no. Why - because you accepted the T&Cs of the voucher, including expiry date upon purchase. If you fail to use it in that timeframe, then the fault is with you.

If the fault is not yours, but instead lies with the retailer, then yes, I would say you are entitled to a refund.

Finally as a last resort, as other posters have suggested, you can always contact the retailer and see if they will accept it anyway. But don't push them on that, as they don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

marcus2000 wrote: »
    like any business, it probably depends who answers the phone!!!

In the case of Groupon, it is not the business that decides on how expired vouchers are handled. Groupon keeps all the money, and the business gets nothing, if the voucher is not redeemed. A business will not accept an expired Groupon voucher because they will not get paid by Groupon if they don't submit their vouchers in time.

I don't believe Groupon have ever extended the expiry of a voucher, nor ever issued a refund on an unused voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

jor el wrote: »
    I don't believe Groupon have ever extended the expiry of a voucher, nor ever issued a refund on an unused voucher.

I do believe!! You shouldnt be so negative. Its almost the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My father got a refund from one of these groupon type sites, I was very surprised he did, not sure which site it was.

A tip for these sites is to put a note in your gmail calendar or some other similar thing to alert you a few weeks before it expires, if you are on vodafone online you can send text messages online to yourself and delay it until a future date.

I had bought several for a local takeaway and they extended the expiry date, I imagine they could see they still had 100's unused and it could have ended up with more customers than they could cope with.

Advertisement