Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Viewings from a tenants POV

Options
  • 27-04-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for advice regarding when you give your landlord notice and he wants to have viewings of the house.

From a previous perperspective, he used to just bring various people (some very undesirable) traipsing though the other houses he has whenever he felt like it.

So what is acceptable? If I gave him a time once a week that the house would be available (clean, tidy, valuables put away etc) Is that reasonable? Do I have to leave the house? giving my current situation that is not always possible. Do I have to allow viewings with very little notice?

Would really appreciate what is the norm and any other advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

He must agree a time in advance with you, no less than 24 hours minumum before he wants to show the place. The viewings take place when it suits you, not him, but you must be fair about it also.

I would say your idea of agreeing a time with him to have viewings would be fair. For examply if you were to say that you could make the place available for viewings on a Tuesday and Thursday evenings between 6 and 8, or something like that. He would still have to give you notice, but at least you would have a schedule agreed that suits you both.

You do not have to leave the property while it is being shown (no way on earth I would agree to allow a landlord/agent bring strangers into my home without me being there to supervise), and under no circumstances can he let himself in whenever he wants in order to show the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The landlord himself is grand, its just that some of his previous tenants (not for this house) have been very dodgy indeed.

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

By right you can refuse the landlord from holding viewings, until you move out, unless otherwise stated in the lease - the landlord can legally only enter for repairs, work etc.

We don't mind as our landlord is nice and she gives us plenty of notice but my sister is a landlord and she is having trouble getting viewings of her house.

Advertisement