Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi in cafe/bar/restaurant/deli/etc...

Options
  • 27-04-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone got a cafe/bar/restaurant/deli with WiFi?

I want to find out how much it cost and whether it was effective, who the main providers are, etc...

Bitbuzz.com do €75pm basic package and €95 with 4 additional staff accounts.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Wouldn't a eircom box be cheaper per month??

If your going to offer wifi offer it free as youll get more people who will come in wanting wifi who will order some thing and stay a while ordering more tea coffee than people who will come in and pay extra for wifi and once there 15 minutes are up will leave to the place down the road.

If you want to keep control of who is using it why not keep the password behind the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Thanks guys,

I saw eircomhub, just wondering what the price is though. An unlimited package with eircom might be more expensive than BitBuzz.

I am aware of the option to keep the password behind the counter, its just that that option may or may not be more expensive.

Just wondering what cafes, bars and restaurants usually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

You can install a wireless access solution that provides "free" public internet via WiFi but with automated client/time management !
    Most important is client management by time,so let's say i'm buying a coffee from you and also ask for one hour/two hours internet access.
    You give me a "pass ticket" (very easy to do it) that i put in to my browser and i have all info needed to browse for one hour.

Other option will be to provide the shared secret key as per customer,at the same moment when i buy the sambo but the time cannot be managed,so i can stay for a coffee all day at your table ! Is ok for me,as a client,but not good for business !

PM me and i can offer you more information !

Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's a lot of solutions available to handle this that shouldn't cost too much

Using an old Linksys WRT54G you could shove this firmware on it https://openwrt.org/ and be able to do some basic traffic prioritisation etc.,

Or you could use open source software to create your own hotspot: google search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Blacknight, maybe you'd know about this, I've been using a wifi hotspot recently to do a bit of work from, it's fine other than when I try to send an email from thunderbird, I get an error and the email disappears and ends up in the sent folder, but i don't think it sent properly.

The server settings I'm using are:

Blacknight SMTP Server
    smtp1r.cp.blacknight.com
    Port 587

Any ideas?

Advertisement