Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course focusing on design and aesthetics?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a junior web/software at the moment, just starting out in the industry really. I've been teaching myself the technologies for about 8 years now.

Anywho, lately I've become more and more interested in design, and would love to be able to produce some of the gorgeous designs I see produced by designers I admire - Mark Boulton, Elliot Jay Stocks, Khoi Vinh and others.

I suppose web app designs along the lines of http://mailchimp.com/ would be the calibre I'm aiming for.

I love:
    • Nice typography
    • Subtle patterns and textures
    • Good use of colour
    • Creative touches like fancy footers
    • etc

I read alot of design books and blogs, and I think I've got a good grasp of the kind of concepts I need to be familiar with and need to be able to produce, and I keep up to date with industry trends.

But when it comes to actually designing a site, I'm just nowhere near the level I want to be at. What I produce ends up looking a bit cheap and tacky. Admittedly I'm better than I once was - I'm redesigning my own site at the moment, and I'm reasonably happy with it (or was, until I woke up the next morning) - but it's a bit frustrating not being able to produce what you want.

I don't have any kind of artistic background, and have never really had any training in aesthetics or art appreciation. I've never been a good drawer, etc., either.

I suppose ideally I'd like to sit down with a really experienced designer, who produces the kind of thing I want to be able to do, and design a handful of sites/app from scratch.

Are there any courses along those lines in Ireland?

Any weekend courses in the UK even?

p.s. I have pretty decent Photoshop and Illustrator chops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I dont think i've ever nailed designs down on the first go, for me its always a few iterations, some that i need to sleep over. I wouldnt really recommend or advise to take any courses. You will only be taught theory and history, most of which you probably know by reading design books and blogs.
    I guess it takes time to take in and click, just keep looking at other designs, take ideas and inspiration from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Hi Dave,

I'd say forget your courses. You don't really need to be reading books and theory on this sort of thing IMO. I suggest that you try and get a job (either paid or unpaid) with a top design company. This is the best way to learn. If your design skills aren't great at the moment then I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get a paid role so I suggest be prepared to make some sacrifices for 6 - 12 months.

My suggestion - Have a look at webcreme.com. Some of the most visually appealing websites out there. Make contact with some of the designers to see if they would give you a role. You will, in all likelihood, need to go abroad to get this kind of experience.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    Hi Dave,

Have a look at webcreme.com.
    QUOTE]

Some really nice stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Hey Dave,

Teach yourself - live and breath design, be aware of everything around you and keep up with everything that's happening. Don't worry about your drawing skills, it doesn't matter.

Go to design conferences, Build in belfast is meant to be excellent, it's sold out but see if you can get a ticket. You'll meet like-minded people and be inspired. Get involved in the design community, there's more and more meet ups for designers these days and there will be a lot more soon.

Like most things it takes real commitment but if it's a passion you'll enjoy it. Keep forcing yourself to design, you'll be better for it. The designers you mention didn't wake up and start creating world class work, it took time and dedication.

Also, take a look at your processes - try and keep away from a computer as much as possible at the start.

Keep an eye on twitter too for any internships that can pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Placebo wrote: »
    I dont think i've ever nailed designs down on the first go, for me its always a few iterations, some that i need to sleep over. I wouldnt really recommend or advise to take any courses. You will only be taught theory and history, most of which you probably know by reading design books and blogs.
    I guess it takes time to take in and click, just keep looking at other designs, take ideas and inspiration from it all.

I'm a big fan of theory. I know that if I hadn't studied design, it would have taken a long time to pick up basic principles like colour theory and symmetry, and to learn how to throw them all together into a sensible design.

It comes naturally to a few lucky people but I think the rest of us need a helping hand.

Is that your site in your signature Placebo? Very nice if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm reasonably happy with it (or was, until I woke up the next morning)

That never goes away, not even after 13 years in the business! Waking up the following morning to some of my late night designs, is like the morning after pulling in Copper Face Jacks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

cormee wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of theory. I know that if I hadn't studied design, it would have taken a long time to pick up basic principles like colour theory and symmetry, and to learn how to throw them all together into a sensible design.

It comes naturally to a few lucky people but I think the rest of us need a helping hand.

Is that your site in your signature Placebo? Very nice if it is.

Hey Cormee,
    I agree, theory, fundamentals etc are critical but for the OP's cause i think it would be better to get his hands dirty. However if it was someone looking to get into design, then i guess course would be the way to go !

that is my site indeed, cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hi

Im kind of in the same boat, well im a second year computer science student but am seriously interested in design which is not taught in my college! anything ive really learned to date ive taught myself through books and various tutorials online. Recently though ive really wanted to step it up a gear and take my work to a better level so need to improve in some areas, design concepts and javascript mainly.

theres a course starting next month in iBat college im hoping to do (Advanced Diploma in web design) im not to botherd about the qualification to be honest im currently doing a degree course but i think this course can teach me some stuff that i wont learn otherwise..

anyway just my two cents

Im sure getting some hands on work would definitely be a huge benefit but i currently wouldnt feel confident enough just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers guys. I dunno if it would even be worth doing something on art appreciation or art in general as opposed to web design... Just to get the creative juices going, and to get me thinking in those terms, which has never come naturally to me.

@SpaceCowboy, I gather this is the course you're looking at?
    http://www.ibat.ie/it-training/web-development-course.html

Looks to me like it's more to do with front-end development than design tbh. Looks like a decent course actually though (compared to some of the others I've seen advertised).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Dave! wrote: »
    Cheers guys. I dunno if it would even be worth doing something on art appreciation or art in general as opposed to web design... Just to get the creative juices going, and to get me thinking in those terms, which has never come naturally to me.

@SpaceCowboy, I gather this is the course you're looking at?
    http://www.ibat.ie/it-training/web-development-course.html

Looks to me like it's more to do with front-end development than design tbh. Looks like a decent course actually though (compared to some of the others I've seen advertised).

Yes thats the course! I hope its good as its expensive so i want to get something out of it!

Id love to do some sort of design course too as like you say creativity just dosnt come naturally to me! I do reckon with some time and effort it will come! Plenty of stuff out there for inspiration, i like to try replicate websites i like which i find help me learn lots of new things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement