Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange caller to the door.

• 27-04-2012 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I lost my job to the recession . Weep weep weep. So did everyone thats not why Im here.I have a question.
    Im after signing onto the dole. Im living with the mother and father due to my lack of work and stuff. Anyhow I got a phonecall from the social asking me to clarify this. Then I had to produce my mothers bills and stuff at the local office. Now onto the interesting part.
    The mother of my children , who works and is not in receipt of welfare, rang me in floods of tears. She lives alone with the children. She had a strange caller to the door with no ID tags pretending to be doing a survey . It was a woman who said
    Hi Im doing a survey , we are looking to talk to men , have you any men living in the house.
    When told no the woman didnt knock on any other house on the street she just trotted off.
    She is petrified now that she is up there alone and this stranger knocked asking this. Im thinking it was the welfare investigating where I lived , but surely they would have knocked on my door first.
    Are they allowed do this . She feels a bit scared for her safety now thinking it was someone caseing out the house to break in and do bad stuff .
    Is this part of their plan to catch dole cheats ?
    Threaten law abiding working mothers that arent even on the dole?
    Or was it a robber?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Probably just someone looking for a man to do a survey tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I were her I'd be asking a burly 'brother'* to come stay for a while, just in case it's someone casing for a robbery.

* An actual or fake sibling, not necessarily a large black man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

maybe somebody ratted on her to the social, even though there is nothing to rat on ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

It's a rapist!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

cloptrop wrote: »
    I lost my job to the recession . Weep weep weep. So did everyone thats not why Im here.I have a question.
    Im after signing onto the dole. Im living with the mother and father due to my lack of work and stuff. Anyhow I got a phonecall from the social asking me to clarify this. Then I had to produce my mothers bills and stuff at the local office. Now onto the interesting part.
    The mother of my children , who works and is not in receipt of welfare, rang me in floods of tears. She lives alone with the children. She had a strange caller to the door with no ID tags pretending to be doing a survey . It was a woman who said

When told no the woman didnt knock on any other house on the street she just trotted off.
    She is petrified now that she is up there alone and this stranger knocked asking this. Im thinking it was the welfare investigating where I lived , but surely they would have knocked on my door first.
    Are they allowed do this . She feels a bit scared for her safety now thinking it was someone caseing out the house to break in and do bad stuff .
    Or was it a robber?

May be you should head up to the house and see if your kids and ex are ok instead of worrying about your dole payment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Social checking the In's and outs and your back round - my guess.. Happen to a friends of mine before.. It's cause you are the father of her child..
    Thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If she isn't claiming welfare why would they call to her or even know where she lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Cant you ring your local dole office and explain the situation to see if they sent someone out?

NiallFH wrote: »
    Cant you ring your local dole office and explain the situation to see if they sent someone out?

wow thats pretty good for AH

i'd go with that for a start... also knock into the neighbours and see if they got a similar call to there door, that would pretty much narrow it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

It might just be a man who enjoys going up to houses and asking one question. He'll go up to the next one and ask:

Have you ever owned a Toyota Avensis?
    Do you know anyone who has ever been to Greece?
    Which year was better, 1996 or 1934?
    Which is the best colour, green or fuchsia?

You get the picture :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

It might just be a man who enjoys going up to houses and asking one question. He'll go up to the next one and ask...You get the picture :cool:

It was a lady caller... You get the picture cool.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

FatherLen wrote: »
    It's a rapist!!!

Way to put minds at ease there Father Len

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Or was it a robber?

If it was Social Welfare, they'd have to wear a badge and/or uniform and would have identify themselves. Also they wouldn't say "I'm doing a survey".

Get yourself a nice big nasty dog, German Sheppard maybe. Train it to go straight for the crotch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I was up at the house , it was a middle aged woman that knocked but she didnt go to any other door. She had a diary in her hand and nothing else , survey people have ID . Especially if they were asking such strange questions .
    I d say if the police used such measures , it would jeopardise an investigation because of harrassment . Why didnt she just ask the honest question to her instead of playing some kind of detective game scaring the **** out of her. Are these methods condoned by the welfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I was up at the house , it was a middle aged woman that knocked but she didnt go to any other door. She had a diary in her hand and nothing else , survey people have ID . Especially if they were asking such strange questions .
    I d say if the police used such measures , it would jeopardise an investigation because of harrassment . Why didnt she just ask the honest question to her instead of playing some kind of detective game scaring the **** out of her. Are these methods condoned by the welfare?

Before you start throwing accusations around, how do you know for sure that was actually Social Welfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I fail to see where your ex was threatened by the social welfare here?

if it even was the social welfare....why dont you ring them?

. Are these methods condoned by the welfare?

pretty much BUT somebody has to have made a complaint for such action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Why is she afraid of the social welfare officer if she has done nothing wrong?
    Are you telling me she gets nothing off them for being a single mother?
    Even if she works a few hours she can still claim fisk and the medical card.
    Only the guilty worry.

You should look up the definition of harassment.

Again I ask, why would they call to her if she didn't claim welfare? How would they know she was the mother of your children? How would they link you at all? Is the real story that you live with her and said you lived with your parents so you wouldn't be jointly assessed for the purpose of your dole payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hi Im doing a survey , we are looking to talk to men , have you any men living in the house.

It's probably to do with rent allowance.
    The social welfare give around €300-€400 a month to the unemployed in rent allowance on condition they aren't sharing I believe.

If some man/woman is caught with their partners living there, I think they can lose their allowance.

They ring up landlords too, to ask who is living there.

• Advertisement

Is this thread proof that being on the dole makes you paranoid?

Scientists begin your study.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

She could have asked her for the ID but I had a guy calling over once and he was a genuine caller and he asked me about the age and gender of our neighbours because he needed a certain age group and gender to fill out the survey. They are supposed to cover all age groups and genders so if they let's say had enough 40 year old females, they wouldn't ask them anymore and be going to a different house.
    And a week afterwards I had a call from the company who surveyed me on my satisfaction with the caller and if he really spent the time to ask all questions etc. so they must be pretty honest and not just sit down and ask their mum to be the young student Joe next door and the old grumpy farmer Paddy in the sticks.

Is this thread proof that being on the dole makes you paranoid?

Scientists begin your study.

No it's the thread were people who are screwing the welfare system think everyone else is too stupid to cop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sounds like one of Burton's thugs alright

I am glad people are doing checks.
    Its about bloody time

MagicSean wrote: »
    No it's the thread were people who are screwing the welfare system think everyone else is too stupid to cop it.

Let's see if we get other findings.
    If not you win the prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don’t know if they’re allowed to do this, but in theory it could’ve been someone from social welfare doing it on the sly to confirm where you’re living. Presumably you’re on record as the childrens father, so they probably wanted to see if you’re living with the mother. If you were living with her and she’s working, you’d be means tested against her and would probably be entitled to sweet f-all. I’ve heard of people saying that they’re living with their parents when they’re in this situation so they can actually claim the dole (to get around the cohabitation rule).

So it might have been them looking to confirm your story, just my thoughts on it anyway. If you're doing everything above board though you've nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a Nymphomaniacs R Us marketing ploy.

Tom Cruise wrote: »
    Why is she afraid of the social welfare officer if she has done nothing wrong?
    Are you telling me she gets nothing off them for being a single mother?
    Even if she works a few hours she can still claim fisk and the medical card.
    Only the guilty worry.

She works full time she gets no welfare at all .
    You should look up the definition of harassment.

Again I ask, why would they call to her if she didn't claim welfare? How would they know she was the mother of your children? How would they link you at all? Is the real story that you live with her and said you lived with your parents so you wouldn't be jointly assessed for the purpose of your dole payment?
    My name is on the birth cert for the kids. They rang me asking about the address I lived at , asked me if I lived in the address the mother is down as living at. It is harrassment when they knock pretending to be some crazy researcher who just decided to pick one random house on the street to ask if any men lived there.
    It's probably to do with rent allowance.
    The social welfare give around €300-€400 a month to the unemployed in rent allowance on condition they aren't sharing I believe.

If some man/woman is caught with their partners living there, I think they can lose their allowance.

They ring up landlords too, to ask who is living there.

She does not get rent allowance , neither do I , I live with my parents.

• Advertisement

OP, I think you should consider requesting a mod close this thread.

A mother who lives alone with two children gets absolutley no welfare to help her out? That's a might fine salary she must have. You shouldn't have let that fish go. You could have had a life of leisure.

My name is on the birth cert for the kids. They rang me asking about the address I lived at , asked me if I lived in the address the mother is down as living at. It is harrassment when they knock pretending to be some crazy researcher who just decided to pick one random house on the street to ask if any men lived there.

Again, look up the definition of harassment. It requires more than one incident. The word inconvenient would be more appropriate. Why would the Social have your kids birth certs if neither of you were claiming welfare for them? How would they know they were your kids in order to check up the birth certs anyway?

Maybe it should prob be moved to the welfare section , but I love a bit of controversy so I dont mind .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

No - What has happened is your ex will now be robbed since the robbers know that there are no men in the house.

Maybe it should prob be moved to the welfare section , but I love a bit of controversy so I dont mind .

And there we have it.

Why would the Social have your kids birth certs if neither of you were claiming welfare for them? How would they know they were your kids in order to check up the birth certs anyway?

I have no idea , maybe they can do a backround check on me and see if I have children , root out the birth certs .

• Advertisement

Tell the gardai a strange woman was asking questions and she may be a burgler.If it was the dole they can ask the neighbours who lives there also.Or hide in a tree with binoculars wearing a ninja suit.
    The woman across the road has 2 kids and she gets her rent paid for by the state.And one of the fathers live there and gets the dole by saying he lives with his elderly parents.
    The social are entitled to investigate people.I think they dont have the staff to investigate everybody so some1 may have rang them and ratted.

I have no idea , maybe they can do a backround check on me and see if I have children , root out the birth certs .

No. That would require some kind of centralised database which doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Anyone like that calling to the door should be asked for ID.
    Take her reg + call the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Probably just a survey OP

Rare nowadays but we've had them around before.

Asking the mammy a whole list of questions about Flora, Dairygold, Low Low, etc
    Loads of forms and questions asked
    Showing photos and which brand has the most attractive logo and which container grabbed attention on a crowded shelf

Maybe they just wanted a man to do a survey on something else?
    You're awful paranoid

No. That would require some kind of centralised database which doesn't exist.

Are you sure of this , thatd mean somebody chanced their arm and reported me hoping they would find something . They rang me a few days ago the first thing they asked about was the birth cert.

• Advertisement

Are you sure of this , thatd mean somebody chanced their arm and reported me hoping they would find something . They rang me a few days ago the first thing they asked about was the birth cert.

If you insist that your partner is not receiving any welfare then the only way they would no about your connection is if someone reported you for living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I am a single mother, and I work full time, I recieved one parent family benefit.
    (am married now so i dont recieve anything)

unless she is on a massive wage i find it hard to believe she is not recieving anything from the social welfare.

tbh, if thats the way the social welfare want to catch dole frauds...then so be it!

OP, do you pay your ex towards the up bringing of your kids?
    Have you made a claim for your kids on your dole payment?

Maybe they read your thread from last year and decided to investigate?

if i move in with the missus , social welfare

silly wrote: »
    I am a single mother, and I work full time, I recieved one parent family benefit.
    (am married now so i dont recieve anything)

unless she is on a massive wage i find it hard to believe she is not recieving anything from the social welfare.

tbh, if thats the way the social welfare want to catch dole frauds...then so be it!
    She is on a good wage
    OP, do you pay your ex towards the up bringing of your kids?
    Have you made a claim for your kids on your dole payment?
    No I am on the basic money 188 a week I pay money towards the children for this but never told the welfare this.

ouch! :eek:

People get cash for reporting fraud:pac:

Seems you are using Mammy's address for signing and someone has shopped you in.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

i can see why so much fraud happens now, i never would have stuck up for anyone purposely on benefits before but what other option is there

If you want help OP at least give us the full story

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement