Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's have a thread about Africa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

theteal wrote: »
    mmmm, into page 2 and there's no mention of aids. . .is AH growing up?

i wanted to but i was nervous... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nope, I was talking about the one's God made.
    Well in that case, they didn't come from Africa. The Garden of Eden is thought to have been located somewhere in the Middle East if you are inclined go by Genesis' description of it).

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

g'em wrote: »
    I went to Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, then overland through Tanzania (inc. Zanzibar), Malawi, Zaire and Zimbabwe over the course of a summer a couple of years back.

Saw Pride Rock from the Lion Kind, played with lion cubs, horseriding across safari, waking up to the sounds of hippo calls on a houseboat, saw the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, kissed a giraffe, climbed a pyramid, became an overnight millionaire in Zimbabwean dollars, the works. Phenomenal countries, amazing people. Spent an evening in a village in Malawi with locals called Mel Gibson and Banjo Patterson. Gas lads. Highly recommend the experience.

MFW Zaire hasn't existed for about 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well in that case, they didn't come from Africa. The Garden of Eden is thought to have been located somewhere in the Middle East if you are inclined go by Genesis' description of it).

:p

You mean I have been mislead all these years? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

skregs wrote: »

They had a brilliant football team though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

skregs wrote: »

what's MFW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Afrique is a much better name foe that "country"

I would love to visit the Kruger park in county South Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The Garden of Eden is thought to have been located somewhere in the Middle East if you are inclined go by Genesis' description of it).

And only Tarzan knew the location of the elephants graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

And only Tarzan knew the location of the elephants graveyard.

He told Jane. Pillow talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Bandiam666

Africa is run by African's Great bunch of lad's I've heard a few success stories to tell...economically i in passing heard a few countries are on the up economically which ones i just can't remember... Hopefully in time they could become the role models for the rest of the bunch & lead the way. I hate that it's left to others seems very sad to me but they are great no doubt. It's just id prefer to see Africa prosper than europe become a hot oven for racial tensions & fear. Come on Africa you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I knew this girl who lived in London and went over to South Africa to work and met this South African guy. After going out for a month they decided to get engaged and decided they'd both go over to London to meet the girl's parents and all her friends/family.

Anyway they thought it would be extra romantic that instead of flying from South Africa to London, they'd drive it. So they drove all the way up to Egypt through Jordan, Turkey and back through Eastern Europe to London. The drive took them about 3 weeks. Anyway by the time the 3 weeks were up, they were so sick of each other they'd already called the engagement off and were at each other's throats by the time they got into England. As soon as they got to London, the South African guy was dropped off at Heathrow, got on the first flight back to Johannesburg and they never saw each other again!

True story. :cool:

Yeah..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Adebayor over George Weah? Kids these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

They had a brilliant football team though.

Isn't the story there that the team was threatened and told not to lose by more than 3 to Brazil. Guy was trying to avoid getting violent retribution. Look at poor Andres Escobar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Well they can provide a village with clean water for €3 a month (See TV adds), And they've no property tax either.

Bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

allen partridge lynx africa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

KONY FOR PRESIDENT, 2012

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If ya were in Biafra ya'd ate it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Did Nigeria hire a new head of anti-corruption yet?

I tell ya, their standards are beginning to slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ush1 wrote: »
    Did Nigeria hire a new head of anti-corruption yet?

Yes, Bertie Aherne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'v been asked to go to Burkino-Faso I'm friends with the ex president Thomas Sankara's cousin. But no I have no intention of going there. I'v also friends from Togo and Cote D'ivoire so someday I'm sure I'll visit one of them.
    Angola is another place I'd like to visit as I knew a few lads from Luanda.

Read up on Thomas Sankara, A great man who was transforming his country till the west felt threatened and got him killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

charlemont wrote: »
    I'v been asked to go to Burkino-Faso I'm friends with the ex president Thomas Sankara's cousin. But no I have no intention of going there. I'v also friends from Togo and Cote D'ivoire so someday I'm sure I'll visit one of them.
    Angola is another place I'd like to visit as I knew a few lads from Luanda.

Read up on Thomas Sankara, A great man who was transforming his country till the west felt threatened and got him killed.

I have made a friend from Nigeria, he is an x prince who needs my acc numbers to free up his fund.

I said yes sure what are friends for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I've a slight fascination about visiting Africa some day, down mainly to Wilbur Smith novels. They were awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Africans are great Cecil Rhodes, Cleopatra. Eric Djemba Djemba, Great Bunch o lads:P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Morocco is the only African country I've visited. Would love to visit some day, a dear chap I befriended in college is part of the British expat aristocracy in Sudan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Irish Economy, Public Sector, Latest Daily Mail shock story, Catholic church, Bankers and childhood nostlagia threads.

A lot of the nigerians coming over are ruining irelands economy by sending all the money they earn by scamming the dole or working illegally back home to africa. The only reason they get away with it is because everyone in the dole office is too lazy to investigate anything, all they care about is sitting in their cushy council jobs and having fat pensions. They spend lots of time skimming ATM cards and the banks are too useless to do anything to stop the fraud. I can understand why they want to leave nigeria, just look whats happening there http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2097425/International-Aid-Nigeria-stopped-mass-persecution-Christians-effectively-policed-Nigerian-Government.html . Ahh remember the days when the only time you saw africans was on the trocaire box given to you in school by the nun.

I think i got all of them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

44leto wrote: »
    I have made a friend from Nigeria, he is an x prince who needs my acc numbers to free up his fund.

I said yes sure what are friends for.

Used to get Weed off a Nigerian, Ibo to be exact, Best bloke I ever got smoke from, Always on time and no bull****ting around, Way better than the crap Irish dealers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A lot of the nigerians coming over are ruining irelands economy by sending all the money they earn by scamming the dole or working illegally back home to africa. The only reason they get away with it is because everyone in the dole office is too lazy to investigate anything, all they care about is sitting in their cushy council jobs and having fat pensions. They spend lots of time skimming ATM cards and the banks are too useless to do anything to stop the fraud. I can understand why they want to leave nigeria, just look whats happening there http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2097425/International-Aid-Nigeria-stopped-mass-persecution-Christians-effectively-policed-Nigerian-Government.html . Ahh remember the days when the only time you saw africans was on the trocaire box given to you in school by the nun.

I think i got all of them....

Left out free cars, phones and houses, odd practices (use real or make up, no-one cares), saying they're all hyper violent and (a) an anecdote that you eperienced that underlines your main point with (b) a second anecdote that somebody you are closely related to/trust experienced that underlines at least one of your other points.

You also forgot to say that other Africans say the same thing about nigerians being (x,y.z), so its not just you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm recently back from cycling through Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana.
    I know your sig is Yeats but the first bit of it is this Nigerian dude. Just felt like saying that.
    A lot of the nigerians coming over are ruining irelands economy by sending all the money they earn by scamming the dole or working illegally back home to africa. The only reason they get away with it is because everyone in the dole office is too lazy to investigate anything, all they care about is sitting in their cushy council jobs and having fat pensions.
    Lol, not even a hint of an attempt to back that up - stuff of parody. :pac:
    They spend lots of time skimming ATM cards and the banks are too useless to do anything to stop the fraud. I can understand why they want to leave nigeria, just look whats happening there http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2097425/International-Aid-Nigeria-stopped-mass-persecution-Christians-effectively-policed-Nigerian-Government.html.
    And the one link you provide is from The Daily Fail.
    Ahh remember the days when the only time you saw africans was on the trocaire box given to you in school by the nun.
    Yes because Nigeria = Africa.

Advertisement