Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too old for games?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

At what age do you become too old for games?

You know, the point when you say, "Ah, I'd rather watch XY&Z on the telly then fire up the Xbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I'm watching less TV as i get older. Mediocre interactive media is more fun than mediocre telly:) I still catch up on the best series around.
    Anyhow, i'm jsut hoping by the time I'm old, nurshing homes will have become Matrix style plug in consoles, but with games in the virtual world, not boring old humbdrum real life simulation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Mossess wrote: »

You know, the point when you say, "Ah, I'd rather watch XY&Z on the telly then fire up the Xbox?

Pushing 30 and it hasn't happened yet. I'll be sure to drop in if/when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

My taste in games has changed over the years (32 now) but I still enjoy playing them. I play less now too but I still look forward to new titles coming. I can see my tastes continuing to evolve in the future but I expect to be playing video games in some fashion for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I recently turned 40 and got the Gears of War boardgame and €200 in game store gift vouchers as gifts, of which I have €40 left to put towards the Diablo 3 collectors edition. I'll be to old for gaming right around the same time I get put into a box in the ground.

Why anyone would feel they are too old for anything they enjoy doing is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

40 plus and still going, but there's plenty of people who will tell you my aims not getting any better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

What age do you think is too old for gaming?

I'm 42 now and watch less tv than play games.
    I can see myself playing games for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Life, babies, work, it all gets in the way of gaming. Then one day you realise you haven't fired up the Xbox in a month, then 3 months, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

if you are under 100, then you are okay. play away bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

How do babies get in the way?
    It is possible to play and breast feed at the same time!
    Or to rock the buggy with one foot while playing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Life, babies, work, it all gets in the way of gaming. Then one day you realise you haven't fired up the Xbox in a month, then 3 months, ....

Doesn't mean you're too old, just means you have no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Time is what gets me, i work 40 hours a week on top of that I work a second job as my own boss so that is usually another 30-40+ hours a week. Thankfully both are in the industry so i do get to play a bit and keep up to date with the scene. Then have to spend time with the family so after all that i find it very hard to put 70 hours into Skyrim for example when you have 3-4 hours game time a week.

Time is what gets me, i work 40 hours a week on top of that I work a second job as my own boss so that is usually another 30-40+ hours a week. Thankfully both are in the industry so i do get to play a bit and keep up to date with the scene. Then have to spend time with the family so after all that i find it very hard to put 70 hours into Skyrim for example when you have 3-4 hours game time a week.

this just proves that it is not AGE problem, just Time dedicated for gaming problem.

if you still have time to put that few hours per week, then you dont really care how old are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

o1s1n wrote: »
    Doesn't mean you're too old, just means you have no time.

Yes, no time. But then it happens that when you do have an hour free (I know ideally a good session should be at least 4 hours with a break for coffee then another 4 hours) you'd rather put your feet up and turn off the brain.

(I miss Xbox Time - I wonder would it be wrong to book a days holidays from work and just stay at home :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I gave up on tv and sold it many years ago and find it more entertaining to get stuck in on the ps3 and it's great interacting in the game than sitting there watching adverts and repeats all day on the tv. 43 years old now and I don't think I will get bored of playing good console games for a long time to come. :D

zenno wrote: »
    I gave up on tv and sold it many years ago and find it more entertaining to get stuck in on the ps3 and it's great interacting in the game than sitting there watching adverts and repeats all day on the tv. 43 years old now and I don't think I will get bored of playing good console games for a long time to come. :D

i generally dont watch telly at all, but misses does. Just recently she was watching some movie on RTE and i just got cough and had to watch it too. I am so out of touch with TVs at this stage that i went "WTF IS THIS ****?!" when the commercials kicked in in the middle of Movie. i was genuinely surprised to see something interupting my movie! ( watching all your movies on Pc and DVDs and cutting out general television for years does that to you! )

• Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

zenno wrote: »

The joke was on you when you realised you needed that tv to play the games. :D

I'm the same with time. Except my excuse is dividing between tv/internet/movies/games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I find that I am less likely to stay up all night playing because of work and this makes me feel old. What also makes me feel really old is playing MP online. They all seem sooooo young.

In my close circle of friends, only the guys play. They girls look at me as if I've three heads and I get the "have you not grown out of gaming yet". *sigh* yes because ladies of my age cannot be seen to play games or look like a desperado. Saying that I don't watch tv and it's another rant altogether that I haven't been following The Voice/X Factor/BGT etc...

So OP, I feel old but I don't think there's an upper age limit for games. As long as you enjoy it, keep playing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The joke was on you when you realised you needed that tv to play the games. :D

I'm the same with time. Except my excuse is dividing between tv/internet/movies/games

Nah I already had a 26 inch pc monitor to connect the ps3 to in hd so I was very well aware of that one LOL I would look well if the tv was all i had and then sold it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll never be too old. It's the main type of media i'm interested in, don't watch tv anymore (except for maybe the odd episode of How It's Made), and any programmes i'm interested in, like Dexter, i'll watch online/download.

I'm 29 in a couple of weeks, and i've no intention of ever stopping gaming. The older i get, the more gaming i want!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

When tapped on the shoulder by St. Peter, then that is too old.
    Gaming is a vibrant and challenging part of my life, and whilst I don't play as much as I once did, it provides a welcome break for 1 or 2 hours at the w/e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bru.wicklow

im 40 and have been gaming since i was 16:confused:i got into airsoft because of gaming and now am broke playing both!but the missus can watch wathever ****e she wants so im stacking up those brownie points:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I've been playing games ever since I got my first Nintendo Game and Watch. I'm too old to stop gaming now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I posted this in a similar thread a few months ago but anyway my old man is 60, he plays Black Ops online every evening for at least 2 hours and loves solo zombies. He's actually starting to get decent at it too ha. I got him MW3 but he prefers black ops so it seems he has decent taste aswell ha.

He's retired so I suggested he give it a try and he now loves it and couldn't do without it. He tells people his past times are golf and call of duty. I'm not exactly a CoD fan but hey I'm just delighted he's getting enjoyment out of it. The man is a legend tbh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The notion that people should grow out of gaming is bs. Its a relic from an age that saw computer games as something kids did. There was a time when this was the case but we all know the demographic has gotten much older. Games have evolved hugely since Space Invaders. The industry is bigger than Hollywood. It can create games that rival blockbuster movies for impact and it can also give us games like Journey at the other end of the spectrum. To think it should be only reserved for kids is nonsense.
    I think in 20/30 years when it has matured, gaming will possibly be the no1 entertainment medium in the world. Everyone will do it to some extent and it will be as accepted as cinema is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm 35, I'll stop gaming when my fingers fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm just about to turn 31 and I spent most (and I really do mean most) of Friday playing games. I don't see myself ever stopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

I'd agree with all of the above. I started way back when it was in b&w, two short lines for paddles, one line in the middle for the net, and one square ball to ping pong back between the paddles! My Dad bought it for me when i was around 9 i think? Been hooked on the digital entertainment since, and now, at 45, try to get in a few hours a week on MW3 / CoD / BF3 etc.

I get grief off the wife (when you going to grow up) lol but dont think ill ever stop. However, with kids, you lose time, and trying to divide what little time i have free in the night between watching a few fav shows, the odd movie and gaming is proving to be a struggle.

Then i got into Airsoft, (always liked target shooting) and its opening up a few new doors, but yet again im met with "your to old to run around with kids"!

Well, i feel like im still 20 and if gaming and running around shooting each other puts a smile on my face then im happy out and to hell with what others think!

There is a lad in our club, he is 17, and his dad who is 50 also goes airsofting, and i think thats great. Just hope my level of fitness improves this year, cant keep up with the young ones lol.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I'll be too old when my eyes glaze over & they have to pry the mouse from my cold, dead hand;)

I'm looking at this here & now waiting on a steam download ffs :D

Love threads like this, cos I'm hitting the big 40 this year and I'm into games more than I ever was-family/work stuff first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Didn't Sony obliterate the notion of 'too old for gaming' with the release of the PS1? I mean, A site (VGChartz, I think, shall source it, if I can) did a survey recently and cited the over-30s as the most active age-group amongst the gaming masses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

You know when you have it bad, when you go home to visit family and you spend the day with them thinking "how can I get away for an hour, I've Dead Space downloaded and ready to go".

I'm finally free of family duties but I think I'll wait until the morning. I'm finding that I get like to take my time playing, rather than just bomb through it on the first go.

Advertisement