Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too old for games?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mossess wrote: »
    Life, babies, work, it all gets in the way of gaming. Then one day you realise you haven't fired up the Xbox in a month, then 3 months, ....

No, babies go to bed at 7 or 8pm, you can still game from then till 3am. When a big new release comes out you can load them up with calpol so you get 6 hours solid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paparazzo wrote: »
    No, babies go to bed at 7 or 8pm, you can still game from then till 3am. When a big new release comes out you can load them up with calpol so you get 6 hours solid in.

Someone has been reading the early drafts of my guide to parenting book.:pac:

I have only gotten more into it as I have gotten older, was big into gaming as a kid but kinda fell out of it around the PS1 until the Xbox 360 came out and am now back into it big time, can't see myself stopping anytime soon which I am sure will please my GF :D, although she did buy me the 360 in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    although she did buy me the 360 in the first place.

Ah so you're just being a good boyfriend and playing it just so she doesn't think she wasted her money? :pac:

I think a quick summary of the thread is you can't teach old dogs new tricks, unless those tricks are in video games. :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I am 24 so not "too old" yet. I hope i am still playing in 20yrs. My only concern is the financial side of it as technology gets more advanced. Btw, anyone who says your to old for games would be fvcking arsehole pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm finally free of family duties but I think I'll wait until the morning. I'm finding that I get like to take my time playing, rather than just bomb through it on the first go.

I've gotten like that recently, having rushed through the Mother trilogy, only to realize games like that only come about once in a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Why does there have to be a "too old"? That's like thinking to myself "I think I'm getting a bit too old for heavy metal. I'd best cut my hair, and listen to a bit of Elton John." No! Keep doing what you enjoy doing until you no longer enjoy doing it.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

deathrider wrote: »
    Why does there have to be a "too old"? That's like thinking to myself "I think I'm getting a bit too old for heavy metal. I'd best cut my hair, and listen to a bit of Elton John." No! Keep doing what you enjoy doing until you no longer enjoy doing it.
    Yeah, that and "wrestling is gay and for kids" that kind of close minded bull****e. Oh, you don't need long hair to like metal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wrestling is pretty gay to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

52 and still in the zone! although my reactions are a little slower

FIFA 12 with my son, who slaughters me. I just try and kick him off the field.

PC games myself.

Ye can take my controller/mouse 'n' keyboard from my cold dead hands.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What is it with these needy "asking what set age something happens at" threads? Obviously nobody can give a definitive answer. The age is whenever the individual loses interest in it - could be 20, could be 60.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not sure about becoming too old for gaming, but if you moved the concept sideways and instead asked if people had become fatigued with games as a hobby, then I'd definitely say 'yes' to that one. Well: a qualified 'yes' anyway.

31 years old, playing games since I was a teenager & whether it has been my own tastes changing, or simply the industry aiming itself at a demographic I simply don't care for, I just find my enthusiasm and interest in most titles diminished. What might have excited me back in my early to mid twenties just pulls no interest now. Time was Battlefield 3 on the horizon would have made me squee with excitement: now I couldn't give a rats ass about it. Ditto most 'big' titles

If anything I've found myself gravitating towards smaller, more independent titles where the ideas are fresher & the games themselves having a little more brevity. So lately it has been things like Stacking, Sword & Sworcery or Lone Survivor; smaller, more interesting and fun games. That and Rayman Origins, which everyone should play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

At what age do you become too old for games?

You know, the point when you say, "Ah, I'd rather watch XY&Z on the telly then fire up the Xbox?
    When I'm a vegetable in a hospital ward at 157 years old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm 30 and Batman is still my role model in almost everything I do. I'll be gaming until arthritis prevents me using the keyboard/mouse/pad. Then I'll get me one of those mind-control devices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I turned 40 earlier this year and while I don't play as much video games as I did when I was 30 I think the quality of my games playing has improved, as in I have the discipline to play one or two games at a time and so have a hope of finishing them, rather than just playing a random game every evening for a hour before changing it, never getting far in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There's a few chaps in their 60's playing in our BF3 clan in the uk..or they're fairly close to it..
    They do get a bit excited though which is fairly dodgy at their age..
    One of them had a heart attack , went into hospital on Monday...back out Thursday and roaring and screaming over vent that night :D
    Still as bad as ever :D
    I keep thinking some night he'll kick the bucket while playing BF3..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

At what age do you become too old for games?

You know, the point when you say, "Ah, I'd rather watch XY&Z on the telly then fire up the Xbox?

I couldn't imagine a worse fate than resigning yourself to watching greys anatomy or the antiques roadshow or some crap rather than playing a good rpg or shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

I expect to be gaming until it becomes physically impossible to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Yeah, that and "wrestling is gay and for kids" that kind of close minded bull****e. Oh, you don't need long hair to like metal.

That wasn't really the point I was trying to make there, lol. I was aiming for- If you like it, then why stop.

Advertisement