Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPC I and II pass rates

• 27-04-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

You only qualify as a solicitor after passing PPC I and II and serving sufficient time in a training contract, correct?

I'm curious how many students site PPC I and II each year and what the pass rates are. Does anyone know? I cant seem to find the information on the Law Society website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

You only qualify as a solicitor after passing PPC I and II and serving sufficient time in a training contract, correct?

Correct.

I'm curious how many students site PPC I and II each year and what the pass rates are. Does anyone know? I cant seem to find the information on the Law Society website

Around 500? Numbers have declined since the boom.

Everyone passes.*

(*There are realtively straight-forward (open book) exams at the end of each PPC course. Some people fail some of these exams but pass the repeats or the re-repeats. If you can pass the FE1's you can pass the PPC exams no problem.)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Sorry to hi-jack but on a slightly related note what are the hours typically in Blackhall?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

A typical week would be great too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

From memory PPC1 is fairly varied, some weeks are quite busy maybe 2 hrs lectures and 3 hrs tutorials on a busy day and then some days maybe only a lecture or two. It used to be pretty easy alright.

As far as I'm aware the failure rate over the last couple of years has rocketed in both PPC 1&2, following criticism the Law Soc has made it significantly tougher - Some people find open book more challenging.
    PPCII is much shorter but there's seven subjects to cover in 11 weeks including exams.

I believe around 35% failed the PPCI exams over the last few years, but most get through on repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Would it be possible to hold down a full-time evening job- 3 weekday evenings and 1 weekend night- non-law related, during PPCI?

• Advertisement

Yeah - not advisable and it would be very tough but do-able IMO.

you'd also have to keep it on the qt as the Law Society would not allow it, but loads of people work other jobs on PPC.

So how many hours of lectures and tutorials generally each week. And is it a 5 or 4 day week?
    I live 5 mins from the LS so commuting wouldn't be an issue...

murrayp4 wrote: »
    So how many hours of lectures and tutorials generally each week. And is it a 5 or 4 day week?
    I live 5 mins from the LS so commuting wouldn't be an issue...

usually 5 days although some weeks shorter.

You need to be available from 9:30-5:30

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

And what happens if you're in absentia for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Strictly

Law Soc are very strict about this. I had a friend who was on PPC1 in 2010 she had to get a note from the Doctor when she had an appointment. You have to sing in for some things and you can be called before your Tutor. There are some things you just can not miss it may be Skills, I just can not remember what it was called

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You can't miss any Irish classes, practicals, etc. but there aren't many.

Skills you can miss very little, if any, as they will decide at the end of the term whether you've passed on the basis of making over 90% of the skills sessions.

You can miss up to 7 tutorials before being called up. After 9, you have to meet with the Director of Education.

So do the PPCI schedules change every week or is it the same days every week for the duration of the term?

Advertisement