Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The digital distribution future

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The content distributors want to have their cake and to eat it, regarding the physical disks. One one hand they say you have a license to use it, in which case a replacement of the media would be a non-issue. However if you were sold a physical copy then you can do what you see fit with that copy - include make your own copies for your own use if you wish, to trade in that physical copy, etc. With the moves in place to try to prevent the secondhand games market from progressing one would have to be careful where one buys the games from...

I now buy all my PC games from GOG.com as I'm not in need of the latest blockbuster game with only 10 hours of playability in it. I get to download a DRM-free copy of the game installation, that I can burn to CD or copy to any external device - it's great! I can even download it again without worry!

I have a rather extensive steam collection as well, but that is all backed up and I can play that as I see fit even if I can't sell those games. Assets that instantly depreciate after purchase to a net worth of zero. If I can get a game drm-free I will - such as Legend of Grimrock or the humble bundles

I think that the GOG model is the one that will show the most promise and that will please the most people. Prices at the right point, more purchases at that price point and no annoying safedisk or other broken shiny-disk sh|te to deal with. Pay, download, run, enjoy. No faffing.
    It beats the attempted lockin from the likes of ubisoft - whose digital restriction management efforts have turned me off all of their titles and I have found that when I mistakenly bought a game without reading who the distributor was and then found it was a company that was dumb about the digital restriction management - I simply refused to open the package and I torrented the pirated version. This meant I was covered from all angles as I had paid for my copy of the media and the download was nothing more than a format shift. The company never got to install its restriction stuff on my pc, and I got to play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Popoutman wrote: »
    It beats the attempted lockin from the likes of ubisoft - whose digital restriction management efforts have turned me off all of their titles and I have found that when I mistakenly bought a game without reading who the distributor was and then found it was a company that was dumb about the digital restriction management - I simply refused to open the package and I torrented the pirated version. This meant I was covered from all angles as I had paid for my copy of the media and the download was nothing more than a format shift. The company never got to install its restriction stuff on my pc, and I got to play the game.

You're covered by 1 angle, that the company is probably not arsed to be after you.

Advertisement