Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Check point in UCD Grounds

Options
  • 27-04-2012 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Obviously a very busy day for the Garda in Stillorgan as I have just seen them checking all the students cars for up todate Tax in Belfield....What are these guys at..I walked down Marlborough Street there the other day and theres people openly dealing heroin on the street corners...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Checking to make sure people aren't breaking the law? Shocking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Maybe ring the Superintendent in Donnybrook and tell him to send all the Gardai from there into Marlborough Street as you feel they shouldn't be enforcing the law in UCD.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Easy work for them.

Heroin abuse helps fuel petty crime so the Gardaí won't hassle junkies as it would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be honest I understand both sides of the argument here. Just because the gardai responsible for Marlborough Street aren't chasing off heroin dealers doesn't mean that the gardai responsible for UCD don't do their job there. Whatever about car tax people driving without insurance is pretty serious.

However the Donnybrook area seems really bad for the shooting fish in a barrell approach, that ridiculous speed trap they always set up on the N11 at the bridge. It's honestly one the safest roads with a ridiculously low speed limit. I've seen one car crash on that streach of road in the last 10 years and I drive/cycle/bus it at least twice a day during the week. The setting up check points in UCD is a similar idea, it's just easy enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

When they have nothing to do what do they do... they go look for work i.e set up a checkpoint....

why not complain to the super in store street about marlborough st...

just out of interest how do you know they were dealing heroin and not pain killers or anti depressants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

just out of interest how do you know they were dealing heroin and not pain killers or anti depressants?
    Or lollipops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Or how do we know that heroin wasn't dealing drug-dealers. Don't think there is a law against that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Alkers

To be honest I understand both sides of the argument here. Just because the gardai responsible for Marlborough Street aren't chasing off heroin dealers doesn't mean that the gardai responsible for UCD don't do their job there. Whatever about car tax people driving without insurance is pretty serious.

However the Donnybrook area seems really bad for the shooting fish in a barrell approach, that ridiculous speed trap they always set up on the N11 at the bridge. It's honestly one the safest roads with a ridiculously low speed limit. I've seen one car crash on that streach of road in the last 10 years and I drive/cycle/bus it at least twice a day during the week. The setting up check points in UCD is a similar idea, it's just easy enforcement.

There was one or two Gardai killed at a junction about 500m further out of town than where they always have the speedtrap so I take it as being some sort of a soft spot. I got done there for speeding, it's a 60km zone which is very hard to abide to given the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There was one or two Gardai killed at a junction about 500m further out of town than where they always have the speedtrap so I take it as being some sort of a soft spot. I got done there for speeding, it's a 60km zone which is very hard to abide to given the road.

I presume you mean the memorial across from the radisson incident? That was a hijacking / joyriding wasn't it?

errlloyd wrote: »
    I presume you mean the memorial across from the radisson incident? That was a hijacking / joyriding wasn't it?

I have very faint memories of this, have a feeling it was something to do with a hijacking though.

Edit: Had a quick google there but can't see to find any reference to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've had multiple friends stung by the cameras at the overpass, its a ridiculous spot for a speed check. When traffic is light I'd say 90% of cars are doing well over 60 there. Fish in a barrel doesnt even begin to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

errlloyd wrote: »

It was joyriding in a car taken after a burglary in Dalkey in 2003. The guy was doing 130mph up and down the N11 out of his head on weed and ecstasy.

I don't think a scumbag doing 130mph in a stolen car really has much to do with speed enforcement there now though, it's more to do with the short merging distance coming off the flyover and traffic volumes at rush hour, there's a fair amount of near misses and minor crashes there. It's well known as a Garda lurking spot so people do tend to slow down now.

Donnybrook station covers UCD, there's a Garda assigned to the campus who covers stuff like stolen student card reports etc. Nothing to stop him doing tax and insurance checks while he's here. There's an easy solution as well - pay your motor tax and insurance if you're driving your car. Simples.

Is Marborough street covered from the station at the top of O'Connell Street or is that even still open?

Marlborough St is covered by Store Street, the "station" on O'Connel street is not an actual garda station as such, more used as an information desk.. The members in there work out of Store Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have the Gardai got any right to enter what is private property and check cars???

Have the Gardai got any right to enter what is private property and check cars???

You mean UCD roads? I'd say it's a bit of a grey area since there is actually a Garda present on campus already.

There is some odd law/rule/stipulation governing UCD roads also as far as I know. They might not be as private as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Inthe eyes of the law the term private generally means a space that cannot be accessed by the public. Ucd is very much accessible so I doubt it is private in that sense.

Also the campus has speed signs which are only found on the public highway so I really doubt it's private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If is not private property how can they close roads using barriers to stop rat running during rush hour?

But it's not private if the public have free access to it so yes they do have the right to check cars there (look up the definition of a public place)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Alkers

Always wonder could you get done for breaking the lights there etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If is not private property how can they close roads using barriers to stop rat running during rush hour?

College green bans cars at certain times and that's a public space. Check the Irish statute book for the definition of a public/private space

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I would just like to comment on how fascinating this thread is. In just a few short posts, several interesting points on the aspects, both technical and political, of our legal system and work of the gardai have been made. Thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Most of the Road Traffic acts say that a public road is any road to which the public have access. On that basis, UCD is effectively public and the traffic laws do apply there.

In the 80s, a guy was successfully prosecuted for drunk driving when he was going to the main entrance from a staff car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Always wonder could you get done for breaking the lights there etc?

Quick check for the fuzz and if there is none, I'll go through them. Provided there is no traffic etc...

Advertisement