Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Motocross

• 27-04-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am 16 years old and I am considering beginning motocross. I have been riding bikes as a hobby for the last couple of years and would really love to do motocross. I drive a Honda crf 450. My father is reluctant to let me do motocross as it is not very safe. I was just wondering how dangerous motocross really is and would safety gear prevent a person from becoming seriously injured?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

check out http://www.motocross.ie/ for a bit more a focused community - possibly a better place for hints/tips/info etc

you're gonna need parental buy in, but surprised youve not got it already, seeing as you're out and about on a crf450..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I don't know if a 16yr old can race a 450? Certainly not in the youth class! In terms of danger, it does really depend on how fair you push yourself, one you ride within your limits then you should be grand, but start pushing past your skill level and comfort zone and you will soon learn all about broken bones! In terms of serious injures, the average speeds in motocross are much lower then most other motorsports, so you rarely see what I would call "serious injures", certainly nothing like road racing etc!

Proper safety gear is a must, for a start the very very minimum are mx boots and a helmet, but you really should get body armour (all in one body suit are the best value, and usually have back/shoulder/elbow and kidney protectors built into them), also a set of knee gaurds is a must, and a proper neck brace as well. Budget 500quid for all of these, although keep an eye out for 2nd hand stuff for less then 1/3 of the price of it new.

If your around the Leinster area, check out the Leinster offroad club https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leinster-Offroad-Club/356692404353386 , there is a race on next weekend in Broadford, north Kildare, most people are friendly enough in the paddock to be approached and will give you any advice you need!

And one final bit of advice for ya, ditch the 450 for a 125!! More power does not equal more fun, not at this game! A 125 2stroke will be much much cheaper to run, teach you to be a better rider, and let you ride in the youth class, which is cheaper then having to race as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shaunf2k9

Thanks for the replies they were very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you don't get anywhere give DH MTBing a go in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Robbie220

totally agree with the 125, they are great craic. broadford also hold open practice days, there well graded and controlled so would be worth a trip down, all the lads are friendly enough and will give you any advice and tips that might help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm DH is a brilliant sport, but 2bh its no safer then mx, gravity is a cruel master! In terms of the cost of racing, there isn't a whole lot in it, entries are often more expensive, and you usually have to travel further for DH, so more diesel etc.

Then for practice etc, there are very few official tracks in Ireland, and there is no such thing as uplifts. So you end up buying a nice full suss for racing, but don't bother practising on it, because you end up pushing it up a hill for 20mins, followed by 2mins of downhill fun!

An enduro, or all mountain is probably a better bike, and for any beginner will have plenty enough suspension to take you over whatever terrain quick enough (and if its not good enough, the odds are you are riding above your skill level, and are going to mince yourself very soon :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm DH is a brilliant sport, but 2bh its no safer then mx, gravity is a cruel master!

Yes but if you are still living with your parents they are far more likely to agree to you cycling a bicycle in the mountains as opposed to getting a motorcycle.
    +1 on getting an all mountain bike and being able to go uphill too, should manage 99% of stuff on the DH circuit here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I have a DRZ 400 sitting in my garage for about a year, is there any green laning going on in Leinster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭LK KID

Timmaay wrote: »
    And one final bit of advice for ya, ditch the 450 for a 125!! More power does not equal more fun, not at this game! A 125 2stroke will be much much cheaper to run, teach you to be a better rider, and let you ride in the youth class, which is cheaper then having to race as an adult.
    i have a suzuki rm125 for sale.loads done to it incl.new wiseco piston kit,new clutch plates,new seat foam+cover+seat brackets with receipts for everything and pictures taken of the rebuild.air filter cleaned and oiled every ride and changed regularly and gear box oil changed regularly.ran on fully synthetic 2 stroke 32:1 ratio. great mx bike.
    make sure you have good protective gear,it'll make you a better rider coz you'll feel more confident with it on.
    helmet,chest/back protector,knee pads,mx boots,gloves.

Advertisement