Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly minor conviction and canadian visa question

Options
  • 27-04-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys,

So I booked my visa and just received my police certificate in the post and was horrified and very pissed off when I seen there was a conviction on it :mad:

Basically what happened was I was stopped in oct 2011 by an absolute so and so of a garda. I had everything with me, my full license, car was taxed nctd and insured (disc was in window) he even went as far as to ring in to the people who
    can tell them over the phone at the roadside was the car insured which it was.

this still wasnt enough and he asked me to produce my certificate of insurance to my station of choice which unfortunately I forgot to do.

So i ended up in court and showed the judge my insurance records up to date
    but she said she was going to fine me so "it could act as a reminder"
    so was fined 50euro the minimum... but now also have a big lovely conviction on my police cert saying:

failure to produce insurance certificate contrary to section 69(1) road traffic act 1961

now to me the way that is worded makes it sound like i was not insured on the vehicle which i most certainly was, I have rang looking for that copper and rang usit and even the garda ombudsman with useless info from them all.

Basically I just wanted to see was anyone ever in similar circumstances before and did this affect their visa application?

In fairness I have done nothing wrong I've commited no crime it was just a lapse of memory.

Any info would be appreciated.

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

In fairness I have done nothing wrong I've commited no crime it was just a lapse of memory.

Firstly, you have committed a crime. Whether you meant to or not you still did.

If I were you, I would still apply with a cover letter explaining the incident but it would be iffy I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jay.D87

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Firstly, you have committed a crime. Whether you meant to or not you still did.

If I were you, I would still apply with a cover letter explaining the incident but it would be iffy I would say.

seriously??? do you think this could affect my application!?

Its not like I was driving the car illegally I was insured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Jay.D87 wrote: »

I'm only speaking from experience of my mate who applied for a US visa with similar conviction and was refused.

Vuzuggu wrote: »

I'm only speaking from experience of my mate who applied for a US visa with similar conviction and was refused.

ah seriously like I can't understand that. its a really really minor thing and I don't think I should have a conviction for it it should have been struck out but I knew when I seen the first case the judge was going to be a nightmare I honestly can't see them refusing me a visa for something so minor in fairness yes I forgot to produce the cert we are all human at the end of the day. I showed up to court and explained myself.. its ridiculous can't wait to get off this joke of an island

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

It shouldn't stop you getting an IEC visa. It's a minor offence. The USA system is a lot stricter and completely different.

Send off your package as normal. I wouldn't recommend including a covering letter, the IEC are usually pretty strict on the package being exact.

They might ask for additional information like police and court records, then they will compare the "crime" to Canadian law.

To be honest its a pretty minor conviction, I've heard of people getting in with a lot worse. Send your application off and don't worry, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Tonto86 wrote: »
    It shouldn't stop you getting an IEC visa. It's a minor offence. The USA system is a lot stricter and completely different.

Send off your package as normal. I wouldn't recommend including a covering letter, the IEC are usually pretty strict on the package being exact.

They might ask for additional information like police and court records, then they will compare the "crime" to Canadian law.

To be honest its a pretty minor conviction, I've heard of people getting in with a lot worse. Send your application off and don't worry, you'll be grand.

Cool thanks for that Tonto...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Cool thanks for that Tonto...

Im canadian and i think youd be ok with that one too. Canada is strict, but the us is much stricter. Google "inadmissable to canada" and on the first link that comes up you should be able to find a list of crimes that wouldnt allow you entry. Sorry about your situation, what a piss take!

lindzation wrote: »
    Im canadian and i think youd be ok with that one too. Canada is strict, but the us is much stricter. Google "inadmissable to canada" and on the first link that comes up you should be able to find a list of crimes that wouldnt allow you entry. Sorry about your situation, what a piss take!

Thanks Lindzation,

Ah yeah I know really silly conviction and the judge never mentioned it would go on my record I know its a really minor offense but I dont want any complications.... Im desperate to get out of Ireland its a sinking ship! fingers crossed amyway!! :rolleyes:

I had a look at the criminal part of the site and cant see anything regarding forgetting to or (failure) to produce insurance cert..

Id say I will just have to explain what happened

lindzation wrote: »

This is very true, they have a list of crimes that'll bar your entry from Canada. They seem to be concerned with violent criminals, sex offenders and drink drivers. Basically, anyone who could endanger Canadian society. They even have some level of a forgiveness on lower level violent crimes, if sentence is served and no reoffences for 7 years.

There'll be no problem with your application, possibility they'll ask for more details but that'll be it.

It was people like vuzuggu scaremongering post like this that caused me to get stressed to bits when I was doing my application. In general if you don't know what your talking about don't bother saying anything at all. It's alright to guess on other forums but in here when someone posts a question its usually because its something that they are worried about and need help on, they don't need any more stress!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can't comment for Canada, but I can tell you that it would be enough to prevent you getting a work permit to live in Switzerland... In fact it is one of the few reasons they can refuse a permit to an EU citizen.

You should also be aware that it may have an impact on your job prospects as well, most international banks and insurance companies as well as several pharma companies require a clear record to take up employment.

If I was you I would seek legal advice to see if there is any way of getting expunged

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You should also be aware that it may have an impact on your job prospects as well, most international banks and insurance companies as well as several pharma companies require a clear record to take up employment.

If I was you I would seek legal advice to see if there is any way of getting expunged

Again bull****. They do perform criminal record checks for nearly every job in Canada. They perform the checks with the Canadian police, who obviously have no access to Irish records. Even so, something so minor would have no effect on employment. Are you seriously telling me that you believe anyone in Canada who has failed to produce documents or pay a ticket on time can no longer get a high end job?

Seriously lads, if you don't know what your talking about don't bother. By guessing answers your just putting huge amounts of stress and worry on people.

OP, send off your application, you'll get in no bother. There's loads of work here. I'd recommended Calgary, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

This shouldn't be a problem for you. They are looking at barring people with actual criminal convictions not people with parking tickets, insurance and basic motor offences etc.

Just submit the police cert and on a separate sheet explain the reason for the charge( you probably dont even have to put in a reason). I doubt something like this would exclude you from iec, or j1 or any other Canadian or us visa once you explained the offence shown on the cert truthfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ckkelly100

HiI was in the same position as yourself, only my conviction was for another minor offence. I contacted the Gárda and told him that i was applying for a visa, and that this may affect my chances of going to Canada. He removed it(after aroubd 20 phonecalls), and i then got a new clear record! How long ago did the incident happen? the garda told me that it normally stays on your file for 5 years, but again, i would fight it with the Gardai!!! (of course, in the nicest possible way).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

ckkelly100 wrote: »
    HiI was in the same position as yourself, only my conviction was for another minor offence. I contacted the Gárda and told him that i was applying for a visa, and that this may affect my chances of going to Canada. He removed it(after aroubd 20 phonecalls), and i then got a new clear record! How long ago did the incident happen? the garda told me that it normally stays on your file for 5 years, but again, i would fight it with the Gardai!!! (of course, in the nicest possible way).

I was in court in march so only last month like... Oh you have no idea how much of a wanker this garda is though. he told me he would have it struck out which he did not I've also left messages for him to call me on numerous occasions even before the court date and he didnt.. I will defo look into it though.

Again bull****. They do perform criminal record checks for nearly every job in Canada. They perform the checks with the Canadian police, who obviously have no access to Irish records. Even so, something so minor would have no effect on employment. Are you seriously telling me that you believe anyone in Canada who has failed to produce documents or pay a ticket on time can no longer get a high end job?

Seriously lads, if you don't know what your talking about don't bother. By guessing answers your just putting huge amounts of stress and worry on people.

OP, send off your application, you'll get in no bother. There's loads of work here. I'd recommended Calgary, I love it.

Thanks tonto your a star!!

Im a qualified electrician by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 vwpolo

Hi OP,

just wondering what happened with your visa applicatioin & the convictions for the RT offences? Just got our police certs back this morning for the canadian visa and there's 6 RT offences on my husbands from 5 years ago that we didn't know were convictions.
    thansk.

vwpolo wrote: »
    Hi OP,

just wondering what happened with your visa applicatioin & the convictions for the RT offences? Just got our police certs back this morning for the canadian visa and there's 6 RT offences on my husbands from 5 years ago that we didn't know were convictions.
    thansk.

Hi sorry haven't been on this is ages.

basically I just sent the photo copy of the cert and a letter of explanation explaining the whole situation. I think I also gave the gaurds name and station number but obviously this might be tricky with your partner as is few separate things

anyway I received my visa no problem so absolutely chuffed because was bit freaked would have delayed my application all went smooth though thank god hopefully yours will too!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 vwpolo

Thanks a million for replying, great to hear it all went well :)

Advertisement