Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Road bike options - Can't decide

Options
  • 27-04-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey folks,

I'm just about to upgrade my bike. I have narrowed it down so far to 3 bikes

Cube Agree GTC SL
    Cube Lightning Super HPC PRO
    Kuoto Kebel with SRAM Force

Both cubes are coming in around 2600 while the Kuoto is coming in around 2900. I'm upgrading from the Cube Attempt and quite like it. However it was my first bike so don't really have much to compare it to. I have also heard some great reports on the kebel.

I would appreciate any advice on the matter, which bike is better value for money etc etc

Thanks in advance
    A
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hey folks,

I would appreciate any advice on the matter, which bike is better value for money etc etc

Thanks in advance
    A

I bought a Kebel with Ultegra a few years back for significantly less than 2900 - where are you getting those prices.
    What are is the wheelset, because the price differential between SRAM Force and Shimano Ultegra couldnt justify that price differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Of no real use but if you can find the agree gtc sl you are a lucky boy, cube have told their distributors they have completed the 2012 builds and no more carbon frames will be available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

www.canyon.com of course!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Kebel
    stay away from the Kharma, everyone has one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Scooterboy82

Cheers for the advice lads and the heads up on the kebel price. Will definitely start pricing around more there early next week and also find out what wheelset is on it. To be honest I think I'm swaying more towards one of the cubes as its what I'm used to. Just trying to get as many opinions as possible. Saying that if the kebel is a better price and I get it at a good price it wouldn't bother me too much the fact its an over popular brand. :)

• Advertisement

Right found out for that price I can get the Kebel, SRAM Force gearset and the Aksium Race wheelset - 2900! And if I wanted Cosmic wheels that would be 3100. Have a brochure that is quoting it at 2499 english pounds which is in or around those prices. @ROK ON Any links you have for better quotes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Furthermore a new option has come up for me. The Giant TCR advanced 2 @ around 2800.
    Any views on this bike? Any suggestions at all as I really don't know what one to go for! They all seem to be in and around the same spec...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

that lightning is a hole lot of bike for the money !like the look of it

full gas wrote: »
    that lightning is a hole lot of bike for the money !like the look of it

Yeah thats what I'm thinking too! It's winning by a nose at the moment for me here!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭full gas

have seen it in the flesh too , web pictures dont do it justice

furiousox wrote: »
    www.canyon.com of course!

Been looking into reviews of these bikes this afternoon. All very very positive! Cheers for bringing them to my attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Cannondale super six.

seve65 wrote: »
    Cannondale super six.

Really lovely bike but it seems a little out of my price range. Its coming in at around 3500 with the Ultegra groupset from what I can see, thats 1000 more expensive than the Cube Litening HTC pro! Is the frame that much better? Personally I don't know if I could justify spending that much more and not getting the SRAM red or dura ace groupset as with the upgrades in the Cube litening HTC race and race SL respectively. Think if I had the extra cash I'd put it towards one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Been looking into reviews of these bikes this afternoon. All very very positive! Cheers for bringing them to my attention.
    Check out the outlet section. The 2010 SLX which has been built up with full Ultegra 6700 in sizes 58, 60 and 62 is €1999.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nothing comes close to the ultimate CF slx 8.0 as far as I can see. Dura-ace (apart from cranks) and decent wheels. It's a savage deal.

Lemag wrote: »
    Check out the outlet section. The 2010 SLX which has been built up with full Ultegra 6700 in sizes 58, 60 and 62 is €1999.

Link
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Nothing comes close to the ultimate CF slx 8.0 as far as I can see. Dura-ace (apart from cranks) and decent wheels. It's a savage deal.

They do seem limited in sizes there alright. My current bike is a 56 and it seems the perfect fit. Thats the one downside to these bikes, from what I can see they cut out the middle man so you need to buy direct from them, meaning experimenting with ordering a size could end up being disastrous! I could be wrong, if so could someone suggest a place that stocks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Thats the one downside to these bikes, from what I can see they cut out the middle man so you need to buy direct from them, meaning experimenting with ordering a size could end up being disastrous!
    Yep, one has to buy directly from them. There is a bikefit calculator on the site though and there are a fair few Canyon owners here so one could try to source a Canyon to throw their leg over. I have an Ultimate CF sized 52 and I'm based in Cork. You'd be welcome to take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I think I am stating the obvious here, buy the best frame you can afford.
    You can change groupsets, bars, wheels etc as the need/desire/funds arises.

fat bloke wrote: »

After weeks of travelling around to shops looking at different options aswell as searching online I think I have to agree with you. About to order one tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 axl13

thinking of getting a canyon myself, i have already asked in another thread but does anyone know anything about a tour de france sale at canyon ???
    also is the SLX worth the extra cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Scott addict or the new scott cr1

now not many has those bikes

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/221882021/bike-cr1-pro-20-s52/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

How about the SRAM Force-equipped Rosebikes CRS4400?

It beat the opposition in a group test in June's Cycling Plus Mag (it costs €2249). More here

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chaineri

Some really good deals going on the SCOTT ADDICT now that it has been replaced by the SCOTT FOIL. I bought an ADDICT from the store below for about a 1000 e below the retail price. Great bike, light and fast, not as relaxed a frame geometry as the SCOTT CR1 though. Deals to be had on the CR1 also. Would never buy a current year model, savings too good on 2011 and prior models..spec sometimes better too..
    :D

www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/Scott-Bikes

Advertisement