Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to work - clothes advice needed

• 27-04-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice!

I'm starting a new job in an office in 2 weeks after 4 years at home with the kids. I don't have anything suitable for an office environment and don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment.

What do you office workers find works best? Where is good for shoes and jackets or maybe some tops that I can team up with simple black trousers. Or do you find that dresses work better as it's a complete outfit in one? Everyone I've met during my interviews has been very smartly dressed.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I love dresses for work. As you say, it's a complete outfit in one and the right dress can be worn all year round. I like shift or pencil style dresses best. In winter I just wear boots, heavier tights etc and in summer, ballet pumps or heels and a light cardi or blazer.

I like Zara and Next for pretty much all of my work wardrobe. Zara can be quite dear but I think it's worth investing in a few key pieces you can wear again and again, like a good fitted jacket or blazer. Next and Dorothy Perkins often have some good, office appropriate dresses that don't cost too much. If you're in Dublin, Massimo Dutti in Dundrum has lovely separates. You will probably pick up good pieces in Oasis, Warehouse too.

Pick and choose what areas you want to invest in and what you can do inexpensively and you should be able to create a good capsule wardrobe you can mix and match all year long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I buy my work clothes in awear, dorothy perkins and oasis. I find awear is great for trousers at low prices and both awear and oasis are great for work appropriate tops/blouses etc. I buy dresses and skirts for work online from dorothy perkins, so much cheaper through their website and much bigger selection (the Dorothy Perkins near me is a part of Shaws so quite small).

I have a few pairs of plain black and navy trousers and a couple of plain black skirts that i can match easily with any of my work tops/blouses. I have a few more structured cardigans and a couple of blazers to pair up. I also have a load of dresses from dorothy perkins. They do a lot of their office wear in multiple colours which is great when you find a style that suits you and is comfortable for work.

Like Thurstonwhore i go with boots in the winter and flats in the summer. Don't feel obliged to wear high heels if you're not comfortable in them. There's loads of places to get cute flats, new look do flats cheap enough. I've bought my last two pairs of work flats in clarks (in sales), really comfy and a bit more support than what you might get in penneys for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dunnes have a really good selection of simple blouses/shirts, plain trousers and skirts and a few work style dresses - quite cheap but not as flimsey as Heatons or Pennies. They have some lovely, feminine stuff without being overdressed - ideal for work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Blazers are everywhere at the moment so it's a good time to pick some up at low prices. Also they can be worn with dresses, skirts and trousers or even more casual stuff like jeans when your not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bob_sponge

Thanks for all the responses! I had a quick look in Dunnes on Saturday and saw some promising items - didn't get to try them on though as had smallies with me. Will hopefully get to look further afield this week and get sorted. Delighted to hear heels aren't a must!

Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Try Tesco, the smaller stores may not have a great selection but they are comfortable and affordable and wear and wash well. I got a black shift dress a while ago for €9 and it doesn't crease at all!

Advertisement