Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD/Maynooth question

• 27-04-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

I'm not sure whether to ask this question on TCD or Maynooth forum so I decided to post it here. I would really want to go to TCD but the points for the course I want to do are high enough. The same course is about 100 points lower in Maynooth. My question is if I decide to go to Maynooth would it be possible to transfer to TCD after a year ? Would they still look at my LC results or would they look at my college exams only ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

No, you can't transfer colleges. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Well, I know that you can transfer to a different course in the same college and
    I asked a teacher about all this transfering and she said that it is not impossible to transfer to a different college but she is not sure how it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

angela1711 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether to ask this question on TCD or Maynooth forum so I decided to post it here. I would really want to go to TCD but the points for the course I want to do are high enough. The same course is about 100 points lower in Maynooth. My question is if I decide to go to Maynooth would it be possible to transfer to TCD after a year ? Would they still look at my LC results or would they look at my college exams only ?
    Have you ever been to NUI Maynooth? If not, I would advise you go visit it. It's one of those places that you will automatically either hate/love. I'm going there and I love it. The college and the buildings are gorgeous and it has my perfect course for 100 points less than the next college, BBL Law & Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Good point, I visited NUIM and instantly didn't like it, but its very marmite. You either absolutely love it or completely hate it. Don't just base things on points and to an extent (I'll get killed for this) but course either. A course might be fantastic but the college itself is awful and that will ruin your experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Good point, I visited NUIM and instantly didn't like it, but its very marmite. You either absolutely love it or completely hate it. Don't just base things on points and to an extent (I'll get killed for this) but course either. A course might be fantastic but the college itself is awful and that will ruin your experience.
    It's true that the College will determine your likelihood of completing the course, enjoying yourself etc. I like Chuchoter visited NUIM but loved it, whereas I visited NUIG and hated it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They'll look at your LC Results up until third year unfortunately. Unless you met the points threshold that the rising class had to meet you won't be allowed to transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

It is possible to transfer colleges, but only under special circumstances.

Until you reach about 3rd Year, they will take account of your points. If you do end up being considered for a transfer, you will more than likely have to repeat a year in order to catch up on important modules (each college focuses on different things, and covers different examinable material).

As people have said, it's easier to transfer within a college, but again, the same rules apply: you have to be eligible (points wise or else attain high marks in your college exams), you have to have permission, and there have to be available places.

Advertisement