Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast Guard Station Art Exhibitions. Where do I begin?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a Tramore resident and I have been doing oil painting for years.
    I have done commissions for people through the years on a mixture of art mediums.

I have always wanted to exhibit some of my work some time but I don't know how to exactly go about it. I don't know anybody personally who is connected to exhibiting art work in any gallery in Waterford or the South East.

Can anybody tell me who to go to or where or how I go about it, please?

I don't have enough for a solo exhibition yet but I'd love to put some of my pieces up with other local artists some time soon. It would really inspire me to work more and I have to start somewhere as an artist.

I'd really appreciate some information please. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Bubs99 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have done commissions for people through the years on a mixture of art mediums.

I have always wanted to exhibit some of my work some time but I don't know how to exactly go about it. I don't know anybody personally who is connected to exhibiting art work in any gallery in Waterford or the South East.

I don't have enough for a solo exhibition yet but I'd love to put some of my pieces up with other local artists some time soon. It would really inspire me to work more and I have to start somewhere as an artist.

i think this weekend down in oceanics surf school there's an exhibition, my bro did some art work for em down there and has some pieces he's showing himself pop down take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Good luck in getting any response from the Coastguard station (theoretically you contact the Arts officer in Dungarvan). Or indeed from the art groups in Tramore. You would be better to ask for an exhibition in the Library in Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd get in touch with Waterford Art Group at Garter Lane

http://www.discoverwaterfordcity.ie/events.php?eventid=Waterford-Art-Group-2011-Annual-Exhibition

and pick a few brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

Hi,

At the moment the Coast Guard Centre are offering space in the foyer for small scale exhibitions.

You can apply at coastguardstationarts@gmail.com

Hope that it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hey Boardsies,

Thank you so much for all the tips and information. I emailed the
    Coast Guard Station and got no reply so I really appreciate your help.

:D

• Advertisement

Hey Boardsies,

Thank you so much for all the tips and information. I emailed the
    Coast Guard Station and got no reply
    so I really appreciate your help.

:D

So nothing much has changed! Such a waste of a lovely building.

I emailed several galleries and artists and all replied except The Coast Guard Station.

I dont know any of the Tramore Art group and I have tried before to find information about them, contact numbers, how to join etc. It was impossible. It must all be just word of mouth, and contacts, not what you know but who you know.

Its frustrating. Do you have any idea Looksee?

I emailed several galleries and artists and all replied except The Coast Guard Station.

I dont know any of the Tramore Art group and I have tried before to find information about them, contact numbers, how to join etc. It was impossible. It must all be just word of mouth, and contacts, not what you know but who you know.

Try HIVE Studios on Bank Lane, The Mall in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

Im really not surprised that they did not bother to send you an email in reply.

The Coast Guard Station I think comes under the Waterford County local authorities so its tied in with The Market House in Dungarvan.

The Market house was a buzzing venue until a few years ago, but then got hit with cutbacks of staff, so its been in decline for the last 3 years now.

So bad that artists that can sell and are in demand will advoid it like the plague.
    The way the look at it is that if a Gallery chages commission at 30% is need to do something for that, other than to provide a white wall.

So those artists choose to pick from private Galleries that maybe charge more commission but will provide more in the lines of an official opening night, mailing invitations, and have the event more advertised.

One of the main problems with the Market House is that its run on Co.Council lines and is closed when people are around.

Its on the main route of the tourist walk thats well known but they choose to close on sundays during summer, when people are around.

That would never happen in a private gallery.

I really could go on for hours about it. As far as I'm concerned its really sad to see a fine gallery being run into the ground.
    As for the Coast Guard Station I have not been there in ages, but I talked to artists that had work there last year and the year before that and said it was a waste of time, and would not bother to go back there again.

So it looks like more of the same in Tramore as in Dungarvan.
    One of the problems for artists is alot of the Private Galleries have closed down.
    But I would get in touch with the Waterford Art Group@ Garter Lane.
    They will give you some advice, and maybe enable you to get your art out there for the Public to see.

No, sorry, you have summed it up quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

The Coastguard Station has a new guy in charge,he's doing his best to get the place on it's feet, maybe if you dropped in and had a word with him? Martin is the name I think.

I shall do that so. I will email Garter Lane again and I shall prepare a CV for galleries. I dread doing the statement though. I don't want to sound all airy fairy. Fingers crossed something comes up. :rolleyes:

It is a shame The Coast Guard Station isn't doing as many exhibitions as before. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

the coast guard is open and looking for exhibitions. there is many planned for the next few months, just give them a ring to see when there is an opening. it seems they have a problem with marketing and advertising, there just isnt enough of it and not enough people are finding out whats happening over there. was there myself recently and impressed by the new cafe, some nice coffee being served over there! it was an empty building for a long time but it seems the new manager realy is trying his very best in this difficult town.

I shall do that so. I will email Garter Lane again and I shall prepare a CV for galleries. I dread doing the statement though. I don't want to sound all airy fairy. Fingers crossed something comes up. :rolleyes:

It is a shame The Coast Guard Station isn't doing as many exhibitions as before. :(

There's talk of a new gallery opening on Turkey Road, could be an opportunity there.

I wouldn't feel selfconscious about your statement, nobody takes them seriously anymore. The majority of the ones I've read of late are hideously convoluted and contrived.

Information that counts - Name, location, background, brief style and contact details. And most importantly - price list.

After that - let your art do the talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

blankAs wrote: »
    the coast guard is open and looking for exhibitions. there is many planned for the next few months, just give them a ring to see when there is an opening. it seems they have a problem with marketing and advertising, there just isnt enough of it and not enough people are finding out whats happening over there. was there myself recently and impressed by the new cafe, some nice coffee being served over there! it was an empty building for a long time but it seems the new manager realy is trying his very best in this difficult town.

When is the cafe open? If there's one thing you need after a walk along the windy Doneraile it's a nice hot drink....particularly in the summer!

SSE

I hope the Coastguard station does make it, its a nice building. Last year though I made several attempts to go to exhibitions only to find the building locked at times when the notice on the wall said it was open!

I also put in a proposal for an activity there which various people kept me hanging about on, if they had just said, we don't like your idea, go away, that would have been one thing. But I was in discussion, had meetings (two I think), put in written proposals which were enthused over. They were going to have meetings and going to do this that and the other, never getting back to me but always intending to do something about it when I contacted them. It dragged on for 12 months then I gave up and went and organised something in Waterford instead.

And the art groups are a story all to themselves.

So the unfortunate new manager has a lot of work to undo the results of the apathy of the last few years. Good luck to him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

its open every day i think and all money is going back into the place. well worth a visit not just for the coffee but the coffee cake is addictive, might have to go back today for more!! its location is a little out of the way but realy its only a 15/20 minute stroll from anywhere in tramore, get tramore walking!

Advertisement