Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps3 gaming pc

Options
  • 27-04-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

here a thought more than anything!
    most people here are asking for a gaming pc build help , but what if were looking at this wrong . ps3 are relatively cheep (compared to high end gaming pc but it only because of mass producing )

i know sony dropped other os supports for the ps3 , but if we format the hard drive and fired windows on it , how good would it be to play pc games. was having a look at the spec , the graphics card seams a bit low but its a 3.2 ghz processor

anybody any thoughts on this or xbox

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

bpb101 wrote: »
    here a thought more than anything!
    most people here are asking for a gaming pc build help , but what if were looking at this wrong . ps3 are relatively cheep (compared to high end gaming pc but it only because of mass producing )

i know sony dropped other os supports for the ps3 , but if we format the hard drive and fired windows on it , how good would it be to play pc games. was having a look at the spec , the graphics card seams a bit low but its a 3.2 ghz processor

anybody any thoughts on this or xbox

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

You want to install windows on a ps3? Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

thanks everybody for the constructivism criticism :D
    i would like to see how well it would play games .
    The playstation 3 is basically a computer designed for gaming.
    people have put linux on it in the past , i think as a dual boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

bpb101 wrote: »
    thanks everybody for the constructivism criticism :D
    i would like to see how well it would play games .
    The playstation 3 is basically a computer designed for gaming.
    people have put linux on it in the past , i think as a dual boot.

Yes people with huge knowledge on how the ps3 works. The architecture was already built for linux. To get windows to work on it would mean rebuilding it's entire core (windows that is) to get it to work with the ps3 hardware. Linux is open source, windows isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

OP,

Nice dream, however just on the hardware alone:

The PS3 is about 8 years? And when it came out it was behind gaming spec PC's at the time.Now think about running a modern game at decent fps on an eight year old PC. Not happening:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

glynf wrote: »
    OP,

Nice dream, however just on the hardware alone:

The PS3 is about 8 years? And when it came out it was behind gaming spec PC's at the time.Now think about running a modern game at decent fps on an eight year old PC. Not happening:)

Cell cpu is fairly impressive though for 2005.

cpu and gpu are ok, it's the lack of ram, 512mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

From what i remembering reading when the PS3 first came out it , it used a a modified geforce 7800 . So i think it would be a waste to even think about trying to run pc games on a PS3 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

There's a video on youtube of Windows 7 on a ps3.

It takes about 10 minutes to load.

There's your answer.

Advertisement