Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

star-pants wrote: »
    To be fair, I think the point being made was that reported posts / their contents / who reported them was being discussed in a non-moderator forum, which is not allowed.

I'd have no problem with people bitching about other posters in private, but if mods are sharing secrets - in private forums or otherwise - then that's not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

AltAccount wrote: »
    Yep!

If I want to read about cars, I go to Motors, if I want to read about cameras, I go to Photography. If I want light hearted general discussion, I go to After Hours.

Definitely sounds reasonable

You've completely missed the point, and I'm starting to think on purpose tbh.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Report it then.

People just want their OT thread back not a petty argument

I won't report it because I don't think it's a big deal, I'm just putting across another side of an argument which you don't agree with.

If you're going to pepper you replies with accusations of "vested interests" or "petty arguments", you'd want to be able to back up the accusation or you will be reported for attacking me personally.

Put up or shut up buddy :)

You've completely missed the point, and I'm starting to think on purpose tbh.

Apologies if I did, please re-explain.

There's a difference between going "this belongs in AH" (just using as an example) and having a thread in the forum where the forum regulars and everyone else that visits can chat freely amongst themselves.

One is a catch-all for the entire site's random discussions, the other is the "community" of a particular forum being able to discuss whatever is on their minds amongst themselves - two completely different things, which are really non-comparable.

If that was the case, no forum would have an off topic thread.

^^

+
    a private invite only forum for a select few to have off topic chat, while the rest of the forum can keep on topic or keep to themselves sounds reasonable to you?

You're saying a small clique of users decided by an inside group, should be allowed off topic chat, but everyone else can get lost?

• Advertisement

Stop trying to derail the thread for those who want the OT thread back :)

And don't tell me to shut up, if you have an issue with me PM me. You don't look tough on screen

I'm not derailing the thread, I'm questioning the need for an off-topic thread in Motors. You don't agree, that's fine.

"Put up or shut up" is a commonly used phrase, it's like "put your money where your mouth is". Neither is meant as a literal instruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

As motors has meets an a regular basis the OT thread allows new users a entry to meet people before they come along to a cold wet car park to talk to strangers.

It helps build a community and develop the forum further and encourage new users to discuss cars and other topics.

It allows people with a passing interest in cars to develop their knowledge in a relaxed environment and seek guidance on issues.

It is not a thread to bitch about others, it is a place where the motors regulars can relax and talk about different topics with the people they know on screen before meeting them (if thats what they want to do)

That's why we want it. Mods and other users have access to this facility elsewhere but it isn't allowed for regular members who want it too.

It's hardly a big ask

^^

+

You're saying a small clique of users decided by an inside group, should be allowed off topic chat, but everyone else can get lost?

I'm saying off topic conversations in ANY off topic forum, public or private, is ok.
    I'm also saying that I think the mods of an "on topic" forum deciding that they won't allow off topic threads, is entirely reasonable.

That's why we want it. Mods and other users have access to this facility elsewhere but it isn't allowed for regular members who want it too.

It's hardly a big ask

Everyone has access to an off topic facility. If you want you own personal ofv topic thread at the expense of the time and stress of the mods, then that's a different issue.

I don't see them closing a popular thread, and putting up with the hassle of a backlash, unless they have good reason for it.

Mods have another forum which they share with members who they pick to allow off topic conversation.

Are you saying it is fair that other members should be denied the same courtesy?

So you're saying there's a secret Motors sub-forum that all the Motors mods have access to, but they'll only let people they like into the forum?

That doesn't seem fair TBH.

• Advertisement

Everyone has access to an off topic facility. If you want you own personal ofv topic thread at the expense of the time and stress of the mods, then that's a different issue.

Everyone has access to one somewhere on the site, yes.

Not everyone has access to one that's orientated around the motors forum community of users.

This is the problem. I can't make it any clearer.

Everyone has access to one somewhere on the site, yes.

Not everyone has access to one that's orientated around the motors forum community of users.

This is the problem. I can't make it any clearer.

Not everyone has access to a private forum? I guess if they did it'd be a public forum then, wouldn't it...

YES.

It's called MOTORS OFFLINE which has been our argument for ages :rolleyes:

TBH, at this stage I'm not sure if you two are annoyed about not having a Motors off topic thread, or annoyed that there's a super sekret club that you're not a member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I think it's a joke they closed it. To me it just looked like TT trying to a smart lad, I didn't see any reason to close it. It's a great thread, sure it was only a few days ago we found out that Quazzie's old car had been clocked and put up for sale, and then caught the seller out.

Where the hell else do you post that kind of stuff, I'm annoyed because I enjoyed that thread. Yes it went a little far sometimes but still that's life. No need to close it at all.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

+1

I also enjoyed that thread, it was someplace where you could have a chat and the crack, as said above theres no other thread for the off topic chat. It was also very usefull if you needed any advice on cars. Only for it id still be using the wrong primer. It was a good thread if you had a quistion that dident really need a thread. Please reopen it.

Have a picture which explains everything I think
    MrSockpuppet.jpg

From accusing me of derailling the thread to posting "hiarious" meme pics? Classy.

TBH if the posting in the off-topic thread is anything as civil as the posting here, I'm not surprised it's closed.

So lets get this straight.

You're arguing a thread should be closed which you have no knowledge about?

GENIUS

Ive never posted in the Motors off topic thread, I never saw the point and when I dipped in I never found anything I couldn't get in other forums.
    Hence why I'm on this thread sharing an opinion that the thread is unnecessary, especially if it's causing the mods hassle.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The list may exist in the motors offline forum but I doubt it would ever be made public
    May exist? Why would we make anything public, that is said in a private forum?

I imagine there has been a discussion among mods and members in motors offline as to the future of the public thread
    Discussions, OT, chit chat, generally bolloxology that goes on in OTG is our own chit chat. the general motors forum is on a rare occasion mentioned. I actually can't recall when last it was mentioned.

We do have a whopper fun time in there though.

So in the heel of the hunt, no need to bring us into this feedback thread, thanks very much.
    OT conversations are allowed in an OT private forum (I presume the OT in OTG stands for off-topic?), but conversations in topic-specific forums are expected to relate to that topic? Sounds reasonable...

WWHHHAAAAA!! Ger outta me box love, will ya? :pac:

Actually it's a sock puppet :)

Sock puppeting has a specific meaning on internet forums. I'm not sure if you're being pedantic about the photo or if this is another accusation...

But if you don't post in the thread and rarely look at it how do you know it's unnecessary?

Just because you don't like it how do you know that it is unnecessary?

I don't see the benefit in it, so I believe it's unnecessary if it's causing the volunteer mods hassle.

There's a subtle but significant difference

It was a reply to Fiona who wanted it made public
    I saw that. But why would reported posts be listed in a private forum? Seriously... what am I missing here?
    Really nice of you to rub the regular motors forum members nose in it

In fact if that is the general attitude it really shows disdain for the opinions of the regular members

If in fact I've missed the sarcasm I'll edit this post just let me know

Rub their nose in what? That there is a private forum that a few people who post in motors are also a member in? Right. I'm sure you are aware there is probably 50 or more private forums on boards?

But there is no attitude Johnos1984... Just a nice little corner on boards for a few of us to sit back... but the feet up... and do our knitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ok im just back from work and i got an email informing me of this thread (thank you) . Having read the OT thread was closed from arguing with mods i thought id be reading through pages and pages of crap and arguing but i saw nothing of the sort really? A discussion is not arguing. To me it just seems to be the 'in' thing to close the OT thread. You can even see CM and pred racer talking about cars in between the discussion between LM and BDJW? :confused:

I cant imagine myself posting in motors much anymore if it remainx closed which is a shame. The forum is pretty stale without it if im honest. Members know whats going on in other members lives for the most part and it is clear a bit of a community is in place which revolves around the OT thread. I have no problem with most mods but there is one in particular here who has been on a but of a power trip since he was made a mod a few months ago.
    See ya later for now guys!

Regular members want an OT thread which is a privilege which is extended to some members in MO

Hardly a big ask now is it?

Oh, I don't really care if there is/isn't one. What I'm saying to you is there is no need to keep referring to OTG. There was no need for it in the first place. I'm not here to defend the motors forum... it's not my baby... I'm here to defend my private forum that you only know exists but have no clue of it's content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

There is plenty more off topic threads on this, how come its the OT motors tread that keeps getting closed? If someone doesent like it then they should just not read it. But it seems that "some people" get pleasure out of ruining it for everyone that useses it. :mad:

As fruitless as this thread will no doubt be it should at least be kept on topic, whatever private forums etc have nothing to do with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I speak for many in saying

19563581.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

166man wrote: »
    I speak for many in saying

If you read my earlier example, you'll see it does and has happened elsewhere.

There is nothing in the charter banning it :)

In Motors? One assumes they may add it, like the other forum did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I don't honestly think it's causing unnecessary hassle, rather the moderators are causing the hassle for themselves in relation to the thread. This might seem rather critical, I know, but it's what seems to be the case.

For clarification : It was started as an OT thread, by one of the users not a moderator (so ground rules were not laid out in the opening post). As some issues cropped up in relation to flirting and some other things, the moderators stepped in and that was generally speaking, fine, as the consensus was reached that it would only isolate new users from joining in.

However, the main issue arose when the moderators decided amongst themselves that instead of being an off topic thread, they wanted it to be a motors/motoring related off topic thread, which in essence is an on topic, off topic thread, and thus defeating the point of the thread in the first place. Also posts like this aren't helpful in deciphering what can or can't be posted about.

The issue was raised about this, as in comparison to every other forum with an OT thread, the motors one was the only one where moderators continually stepped in to urge people to "Stay on topic", or get back on topic in some form or another. Example

As you can see by the following replies, including this and this, and finally this which actually deals with the issue.

Because of the above, I honestly believe the thread itself is of no hassle to anyone, it's the moderators trying to enforce this nonsensical off topic thread that must be on topic or relevant to the forum at all times which is in turn causing themselves hassle, and feeding back into itself.

With regards to PM'ing the moderators about the closure or reopening the thread, with the way it's been handled so far and the post dealing with the closure, this doesn't seem like a viable option, nor one that will be considered.

As MCMLXXV has said, it is a very enjoyable and useful thread, and a very friendly thread in the forum and it would be a shame to lose it, but something needs to change for it to work.
    There's a difference between going "this belongs in AH" (just using as an example) and having a thread in the forum where the forum regulars and everyone else that visits can chat freely amongst themselves.

One is a catch-all for the entire site's random discussions, the other is the "community" of a particular forum being able to discuss whatever is on their minds amongst themselves - two completely different things, which are really non-comparable.

If that was the case, no forum would have an off topic thread.
    dgt wrote: »
    This particular thread has brought the motoring forum together by allowing us to get to know each other in a light hearted manner. Its a pity it has closed, I feel the motoring forum needs a place to talk in an off topic manner
    166man wrote: »
    I think it's a joke they closed it. To me it just looked like TT trying to a smart lad, I didn't see any reason to close it. It's a great thread, sure it was only a few days ago we found out that Quazzie's old car had been clocked and put up for sale, and then caught the seller out.

Where the hell else do you post that kind of stuff, I'm annoyed because I enjoyed that thread. Yes it went a little far sometimes but still that's life. No need to close it at all.:mad:
    Ok im just back from work and i got an email informing me of this thread (thank you) . Having read the OT thread was closed from arguing with mods i thought id be reading through pages and pages of crap and arguing but i saw nothing of the sort really? A discussion is not arguing. To me it just seems to be the 'in' thing to close the OT thread. You can even see CM and pred racer talking about cars in between the discussion between LM and BDJW? :confused:

I cant imagine myself posting in motors much anymore if it remainx closed which is a shame. The forum is pretty stale without it if im honest. Members know whats going on in other members lives for the most part and it is clear a bit of a community is in place which revolves around the OT thread. I have no problem with most mods but there is one in particular here who has been on a but of a power trip since he was made a mod a few months ago.
    See ya later for now guys!

I agree 100% with all of the above.
    If the mods want a motoring off topic thread, make it clear it is only motoring off topic chat. If there is an off topic thread, and no rules around it (bar flirting and the general Boards rules), then people can talk about what they like.
    It seems the rules change depending on what mood a mod is in. A bit of common sense goes a long way, and there doesn't seem to be much lately in relation to that thread.

star-pants wrote: »
    If you read my earlier example, you'll see it does and has happened elsewhere.

If you read what you posted in your earlier example, it has not happened elsewhere, they were provided an alternative which proved a better option than an OT thread for TLL (social group), and were also given a few options of other OT threads which may be of relevance to it's users, as TLL is more of a general chat forum (lady related) anyway, motors tends to have more purpose, this can't be applied likewise.

I don't really see either of those being viable options for the motors forum. The "social group" feature seems to lack integration with the rest of boards, and certainly with the main forum. Also considering the clique aspect was something the moderators wanted to get away from, to encourage new users, I don't feel that the social groups feature accomplishes this.

While it may cover the social aspect of the OT thread (yet I'm not sure in what capacity), It's not really something for whatever car related thought or question strikes you at the time, which is also what the OT thread was used for.

Also while there may be a mass of other OT threads across the site, none would contain the congregate of motor / petrol loving posters, which would not really fulfill the same purpose as the motors OT thread.

Either way, not really the same thing as completely closing OT threads and leaving it at that.

• Advertisement

So for a forum which encourages people to meet up in public do you think it's a good idea to ban all general conversation on screen?

The other forum did, and they have meet ups.

I'm only pointing this out because ye seem to be pointing out 'everywhere else has one where you can talk about anything but we don't'
    I've pointed out A&PIs own OT thread which sticks to pets mostly and tLL which doesn't allow one at all.

They're not banning all general conversation, they gave the OT thread a go, a few times and each time it descended into the same issues. There are many other 'everyday' threads which ye pointed out whereby some general conversations are had.

The motors meets threads tend to allow some general discussion also, prior to the meet up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement