Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

star-pants wrote: »
    ............ they gave the OT thread a go, a few times and each time it descended into the same issues..........

Today's issue seemed a tad different to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The other forum did, and they have meet ups.

I'm only pointing this out because ye seem to be pointing out 'everywhere else has one where you can talk about anything but we don't'
    I've pointed out A&PIs own OT thread which sticks to pets mostly and tLL which doesn't allow one at all.

They're not banning all general conversation, they gave the OT thread a go, a few times and each time it descended into the same issues. There are many other 'everyday' threads which ye pointed out whereby some general conversations are had.

The motors meets threads tend to allow some general discussion also, prior to the meet up.

And the difference between the A&PI OT thread and the motors OT thread is that in A&PI it is clear what is allowed be discussed in the OT thread. In the motors OT thread, people can talk about what they like one day, and the next day a mod who was fine with everything the previous day, comes in and throws his weight around and decides he doesn't want people talking about OT stuff.
    This was the point I made earlier, and all of a sudden the OT is closed and I receive a warning for what i've posted. If people are going to be warned for posting some common sense, motors will lose a lot of posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

johnos1984 wrote: »
    +1

And the closing of the OT Tread has been a little pet project as has showing some members a lot of disdain

I believe that mod is abusing the power of being a mod, for their own satifaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I believe that mod is abusing the power of being a mod, for their own satifaction.

I think you should start a seperate thread about this. If a mod is abusing their power, and you have examples beyond the locking of a thread, it needs open discussion not unsupported insinuations.

AltAccount wrote: »
    I think you should start a seperate thread about this. If a mod is abusing their power, and you have examples beyond the locking of a thread, it needs open discussion not unsupported insinuations.

Oh it you agian. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What issues?

It's just been locked for no reason as it has other times

I'd love a proper reason not just the usual BS as to why it was closed. Just seemed stupid and unnecessary done by a mod to look slick.

Bad form.

Oh it you agian. :rolleyes:

Right back at you buddy.

166man wrote: »
    I'd love a proper reason not just the usual BS as to why it was closed. Just seemed stupid and unnecessary done by a mod to look slick.

Bad form.

Their treating us like mushrooms.

Keeping us in the dark and feeding us BS.

Their treating us like mushrooms.

Keeping us in the dark and feeding us BS.

Do they know about the thread? Have you PM'd any of them?

Of course they do, it was them who locked it?;)

• Advertisement

they also used it.

Sorry :), do they know about this thread. If Superstoner doesn't want to be kept in the dark, we need one of them to join in here.

Sorry :), do they know about this thread. If Superstoner doesn't want to be kept in the dark, we need one of them to join in here.

I can speak for myself.

I was replying to 166man. I was posting while you posted. I was clarifying a typo in a post I made reasponing directly to you.

Jesus Christ! :rolleyes:

I was replying to 166man. I was posting while you posted. I was clarifying a typo in a post I made reasponing directly to you.

Jesus Christ! :rolleyes:

My cats name is mittens. :cool:

Thats why I said I can speak for myself. :mad:

Thats why I said I can speak for myself. :mad:

What are you talking about? I've explained my grammar and reason for referring to you in the third person.

The question remains- have you PM'd any of them to tell them about THIS thread and to get them to answer you, or are you happier to whinge and take sly digs at (one of) them?

What are you talking about? I've explained my grammar and reason for referring to you in the third person.

The question remains- have you PM'd any of them to tell them about THIS thread and to get them to answer you, or are you happier to whinge and take sly digs at (one of) them?

RIGHT...:rolleyes:

What has it to do with you?
    Im not taking sly digs, just stating the facts.

I'd like to point out it was probably me taking the sly digs but I think it's excuseable under the circumstances. I have already said that it annoyed me that the thread was closed. I was beginning to get to know some of the posters better through just having general chit chat about anything.

Closing it was a bad idea and it seems it was done for the wrong reasons. I will be surprised if the mods don't/haven't seen this thread already.

All very true, 166man.

But that OT motors thread was really the main reason I used boards.

As you know Im a member of FiatForum.com nothing ever happend on FF like this.
    OT is OT and thats the best and really only way to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I liked the OT thread. Motors feels kinda stale without it.

However, it does kinda feel like that there was something going on in the background. I dunno what it was. This is the first time I've heard about this "super secret" private forum too. While it didn't bother me I could feel that it may have left some people out in the dark so to speak and wouldn't bother posting in it. Again, however, I do not think that warranted closing of the thread so to speak so I'm sorry it was.

Have you PM'd any of the mods to even let them know this is going on? Or to ask yerselves as to why it was closed.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

BX 19 wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard about this "super secret" private forum too. While it didn't bother me I could feel that it may have left some people out in the dark so to speak and wouldn't bother posting in it.
    We've moved away from that :)

There are private forum but I was wrong to suggest the Motors Offline one still existed...........it's now gone

I liked the OT thread. Motors feels kinda stale without it.

However, it does kinda feel like that there was something going on in the background. I dunno what it was. This is the first time I've heard about this "super secret" private forum too. While it didn't bother me I could feel that it may have left some people out in the dark so to speak and wouldn't bother posting in it. Again, however, I do not think that warranted closing of the thread so to speak so I'm sorry it was.

Have you PM'd any of the mods to even let them know this is going on? Or to ask yerselves as to why it was closed.....

No, I dident, as much as I miss it. Im not going to beg the mods to reopen it.

We've moved away from that :)

There are private forum but I was wrong to suggest the Motors Offline one still existed...........it's now gone

I'm getting cunfuzled as I've been up about 20 hours. nevermind that point so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'm getting cunfuzled as I've been up about 20 hours. nevermind that point so :D

It's ok.

I was conflustered too :)

It's ok.

I was conflustered too :)

Try read this whole thread and your wondering why I'm scratching my head.

Last I knew there was talk about shaving in the OT thread and its locked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

So you're saying there's a secret Motors sub-forum that all the Motors mods have access to, but they'll only let people they like into the forum?

That doesn't seem fair TBH.
    YES.

It's called MOTORS OFFLINE which has been our argument for ages :rolleyes:
    You have your facts arse about face. I requested Motors Offline a few years back and I along with otherd decided how it should be run. It has nothing to do with the motors forum and even states that in the charter which I wrote 3 years ago. Now I would appreciate if any reference to that forum be deleted from here because it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. If you have a problem with any of the above feel free to PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I did have a reply written on my phone but sods law as I hit submit my connection dropped & after 20 mins I gave up!
    If you read what you posted in your earlier example, it has not happened elsewhere, they were provided an alternative which proved a better option than an OT thread for TLL (social group), and were also given a few options of other OT threads which may be of relevance to it's users, as TLL is more of a general chat forum (lady related) anyway, motors tends to have more purpose, this can't be applied likewise.
    I did of course read what I posted, before I posted it.
    They were not provided with the alternative by the Mods of that forum, a member of the forum set up the social group.
    They were given examples of other 'all sort of banter' OT threads that they could go to on the site. These OT threads already existed.

The point being that they (tLL) wanted 'random chitchat' taken out, which it seems the mods in motors tried to implement in the OT thread.
    What issues?

It's just been locked for no reason as it has other times

There seems to be similar issues of the tone of the thread being taken down (even after warnings) or overuse of innuendo or arguing with moderators warnings. Again as I've stated before, it's the Moderators who have had to deal with the thread and all that came with it, and the decision to close it and I'm surprised no-one has PM'd them for clarification at this point.
    BDJW wrote: »
    And the difference between the A&PI OT thread and the motors OT thread is that in A&PI it is clear what is allowed be discussed in the OT thread. In the motors OT thread, people can talk about what they like one day, and the next day a mod who was fine with everything the previous day, comes in and throws his weight around and decides he doesn't want people talking about OT stuff.
    This was the point I made earlier, and all of a sudden the OT is closed and I receive a warning for what i've posted. If people are going to be warned for posting some common sense, motors will lose a lot of posters

I did have in my non-posted post, that ye should ask for a 'motors related chat thread' with specific rules / guidelines. We don't have that in A&PI, the users have mostly kept to the topic themselves.
    If, as you say the moderators themselves were changing their minds as to what was acceptable/not acceptable and you received a warning (I assume you mean a yellowcard), you can go to the DRP if you have already PM'd the Mod in question.

Helpdesk is where you guys should have gone with this thread - as stated in their charter:
    Complaints about a moderator action, ban or infraction - ALWAYS PM THE MODERATOR FIRST, to try resolve the situation amicably, like an adult. Feel free to read the full Dispute Resolution Procedure regarding this.
    If you're unhappy with that outcome, then get in touch with that sections CMod.
    If you are still unhappy, then start a thread here, and include as much relevant information as you can.

(I mean no offence by that by the way, I just mean if ye really wanted to get the situation looked at properly with a potential to have an OT thread re-opened, you need to go about it the right way).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The list may exist in the motors offline forum but I doubt it would ever be made public

It doesn't and never will. FACT
    I imagine there has been a discussion among mods and members in motors offline as to the future of the public thread

Again never happened and never will.
    Not from what I've been told ;)

Call BS on this, you're stirring.
    So you meant the OTG forum? a private forum which by nature is usually invite only.

There's two separate and potentially serious issues then there:
    1) reported posts etc. being discussed in a non-moderator forum

2) stuff from a private forum being discussed with non-members of that forum (edited to clarify, members of OTG discussing stuff from OTG with non members of OTG)

1)Don't worry star-pants as said above it has and never will happen where reported posts are listed or even hinted at in OTG. The charter that Gary and other founders of the original MO forum created addressed a lot of this and have been updated again recently with a lot of time and thought put in to ensure anything like that won't happen.
    2)Again as above he's just stirring. There is no "leak" as he makes out.
    ^^
    +
    You're saying a small clique of users decided by an inside group, should be allowed off topic chat, but everyone else can get lost?

OTG has nothing to do with the Motors forum apart from the fact it originally shared a word in their name "Motors".
    Mods have another forum which they share with members who they pick to allow off topic conversation.

Mods don't "decide" who's allowed in. Believe it or not, everyone within that particular private forum has the same rights with regard to who they decide to open their forum too. Motor's mods (or any mods) do not have any automatic right to access and treated the same as everyone else.
    ChewChew wrote: »
    May exist? Why would we make anything public, that is said in a private forum?

Discussions, OT, chit chat, generally bolloxology that goes on in OTG is our own chit chat. the general motors forum is on a rare occasion mentioned. I actually can't recall when last it was mentioned.

We do have a whopper fun time in there though.

So in the heel of the hunt, no need to bring us into this feedback thread, thanks very much.

Here Chew you forgot to send me that cake recipe and the instructions for those knitted longjohns :)
    Regular members want an OT thread which is a privilege which is extended to some members in MO

Hardly a big ask now is it?

MO does not exist anymore. All links with motors were severed as that's not where MO ended up.
    Plug the leaks then.

I'm not attacking OTG I'm attacking the fact regular members are not given a place to talk but if you are liked by a mod you are given this privilege in MO :)

1)Again BS on the "leaks" if you knew anything then you'd know OTG has sweet FA to do with Motors.
    2)As said above "Mods" do not decide who is part of it or not.
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    You have your facts arse about face. I requested Motors Offline a few years back and I along with otherd decided how it should be run. It has nothing to do with the motors forum and even states that in the charter which I wrote 3 years ago. Now I would appreciate if any reference to that forum be deleted from here because it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. If you have a problem with any of the above feel free to PM me

Well said Gary.
    Gary has put a serious amount of time and effort into creating the original MO and its completely unreasonable to be dragging it through the mud by making false accusations about what it is/isn't and saying you KNOW what goes on there when clearly you haven't the first notion.

To the actual topic of this thread, I actually agree with johnos et al who think the OT thread should be reopened. I only posted in it a handful of times but I still enjoyed reading it and think it did create a good community within the motors forum.

I think a few things need to be addressed before it reopens though.
    Firstly the charter needs to be updated for it. Any unsuitable posts/material in the OT thread results in a decent ban.
    Secondly the thread should be called the OT thread. No changing names etc. Changing its name makes it seem cliquey and will stop the average motors poster posting in it.
    Thirdly, posters should be aware that anyone, even unregistered users can read that thread and only post things they have no problem with any tom, dick, or harry seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lafors wrote: »
    OTG has nothing to do with the Motors forum apart from the fact it originally shared a word in their name "Motors".

Just in relation to this, I wasn't specifically talking about MO or OTG or whatever it is now, as I'm aware it's unrelated.

I was arguing the point with AtlAccount that in his view, a private forum for OT chat was acceptable. This would inevitably turn cliquey and seems contrary to any work the motors mods have done thus far to ensure newer users don't feel isolated or like they can't join in. Just not really a fair viable solution IMO.

Sorry for the confusion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement