Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid yeast

Options
  • 27-04-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Is it vastly superior? It's vastly more expensive. 7 euro versus about 1.50 for the equivalent powdered yeast.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Unless you are going to reuse it, it's not really worth that kind of money imo.

I've never tried it but - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3s6GiS2fo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I only use it when I am specifically trying to clone a beer and get the flavour as close as possible. I then wash that yeast and put it back into the vial for use again.

I was reading this yesterday and thought it was interesting to hear people comparing US 05 yeast to liquid yeast. Any time I have used US05 I have had great results so I really think it depends on the type of brew you want to do.

Liquid yeasts aslo require a starter (Dry yeasts generally don't) so you have to factor in the time, malt extract and equipment (demijohn,conical, stir plate etc...). I enjoy making the starters and building stir plates as I can get excited about a brew day 3 or 4 days in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Some yeast types need to be bought as liquid as far a s I know, e.g. Kolsh,hefe,wit ... The white labs vials are sold as pitchable quantities for a standard 20L batch size and thats what I've always done with them, just pitch directly..
    If you're making a starter,with harvested/reused liquid yeast or a new vial, loads of people use a 2Litre mineral water/mineral bottle, just leave the lid on loose and every time you're walking past, squeeze the bottle to expel CO2 and draw in air, tighten lid, shake the **** out of it, loosen lid again and put it back down.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Khannie wrote: »
    Is it vastly superior? It's vastly more expensive. 7 euro versus about 1.50 for the equivalent powdered yeast.

Dry yeast is like Nottingham, US-05, T-58 and such are very good, Many commercial breweries just Nottingham, US-04.

But for certain beer there is no dry yeast equivalent, or the dry is just not that good. I would even recommended playing around with a few of the British strains compared to something like Nottingham, they can add that liirl extract that you don't find with a dry yeast.

That been said dry is very hand as your just need to rehydrate that pack and add not need for messing around with starters and smack packs.

Advertisement