Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat just spayed- need advice re follow up

• 27-04-2012 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

My cat just got spayed- poor thing was terrified of the vet. They want us to go for a routine follow up in 3 days time and one in 10 days to have stitches removed. I'm just trying to minimize the trauma so I would like to bring her to the vet just for the 10 day check up. Does anyone know if the 3 day check is necessary if the wound and cat appear ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

That's a strange one... We have had four cats spayed in the last 2 years and they were given disolvable stitches, with no need for a follow up. We only got our little female done ten days ago.

Is this common practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ironmaiden11

Thanks for reply. Don't know but I think I'll phone a vet to enquire. She will be really upset if we go to the vet again. The stitches are visible and non disolvable so ten days is fine. I'll see how she gets on. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Never heard about a 3 day follow up either. They could be either unsure of something when they sutured close or are just cautious vets. Hope they are not charging for these follow ups.

If it was me,id be pretty confident that i would know if there was a problem with the incision site so i would leave it for 10 days. Id actually remove the stitches myself, very easy but dont do it unless you are 100% confident.But if you're not and you're not being charged and have the time, do the 2 checkups. Better to be safe than sorry and all that....

Wondering why they're not doing the more modern internal suture with dissolvable stitches though, so much easier and less hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The purpose of the 3 day check is to make sure that the surgical wound is healing correctly and that there's no sign of any inflammation at the site (redness, heat, pain, swelling). If the wound appears okay and the cat is in good form it might not be necessary but your best bet is to phone your vet and explain the situation.

Vets tend to use dissolvable sutures if:
    - the cat is feral
    - the cat isn't a house cat
    - the cat is likely to lick/paw at non-dissolvable ones
    - the owner specifically requests them

The above really does depend on the vet and the clinic though.

The clinic I worked in brought each animal back for a check up 48 hours post-surgery and then another revisit 10 days post-surgery for suture removal. The 2 other small animal clinics I did work experience in did similar. It's not that the vets are unsure, it's really that they're cautious and like to follow up with the owners/pets.

Advertisement