Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another scope question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

I don't think you can get any better scope with tactical knobs, that magnification, Rainguard Hd and so on, for that sort of money.6500 is Bushnells highest line and it is made in Japan, not like their cheaper scopes in China or similar. You can't go wrong with it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Well I've got 6 Bushnell scopes - the Banner x 3, 3200 elite x 1 and 4200 elite x 2. Can't fault any of them.

The 6200 range is top of the Bushnell line and so should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Bushnell Elite are great scopes for the money.
    The way the model designation works is the the first part of the model number tells you how many times the minimum power is multiplied to give the maximum.
    eg the 3200 has a 3 x minimum mag spread so a 3 x will max out at 9x
    the 4200 has 4 x the spread so a 3 x will max at 12x
    the 6500 has 6.5 x the minimum mag as the maximum, which is a huge range of magnification.
    I have a 4200 Elite and I'm on the lookout for another one for the rimfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Hi there

Anybody with experience of this scope Bushnell elite 6500 - seems to be
    good value going in bushnell at moment

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/834d38532cd9340399684787/Bushnell+Elite+6500+4-a-8-f-35-30x50+Tactical/delivery-returns/1//

My other option is ior 4-14x50 but its a bit pricier

Any advice?

Hi the problem with the sportsmanguncentre is anything over 4 x power has to be exported and will take up to 10 weeks i was talking to them yesterday the have to get clearance from the home office .
    i was looking at a 2.5 x16,56 that was the answer given i argued the the scope started at 2.5 power but the said once it went over 4 x power you need paper work .
    the best way to get it is if you have a buddy in uk or up north get it posted to them and the can post it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback and advice

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

IOR is optically superior than any Bushnell. At the same time it is also much heavier, bigger and bulkier. Other options in this price range are unfortunately limited if you wish to have similar optical properties and tactical turrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Yeah, I'm not bothered about tactical turrets but I do want something that will do for both hunting so low end mag and a bit of shooting around 2-300 yds hence magnification. Don't need 30x and I've heard that bushnell elite are really only good up to 18x which is as much as I'd want but at that price I think I'll have to look at it

If I can stretch budget then it'll be ior

thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

3 of my Bushnell scopes have the target turrets and i thing/find them very good in use and to use. And they have the mildot reticle as well.

1 is the 3200 10x40 fixed

CZStylewithnewstock2.jpg

2 are 4200 6-24x50, these work well @24 zoom without any flare/white out.

3gunsintherack.jpg
    10052009114.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

steyrman2 wrote: »
    Hi the problem with the sportsmanguncentre is anything over 4 x power has to be exported and will take up to 10 weeks i was talking to them yesterday the have to get clearance from the home office .

Would you please take a minute to explain that for me?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

tac foley wrote: »
    Would you please take a minute to explain that for me?

tac

Here you go it will take a few mins to read

Exporting Riflescopes from the UK: Information on Importing/Purchasing a riflescope if you live outside the UK

Licensing and Export Controls

Please note that the export of any night vision systems, be it image intensified, thermal or other, above a given specification is strictly controlled by ITAR regulations. This also applies to riflescopes with a magnification of over 4x.

All of these systems are subject to UK Governmental Export Licensing Regulations and dependent on specification, a licence may need to be obtained prior to the export, even temporarily(e.g if you are travelling overseas with your device on holiday), from the UK.

It is the responsibility of the exporter, whether it be a company or an individual to ensure that such a licence is obtained. Failure to comply is a criminal offence.

For further information please visit

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/export-control-organisation

PLEASE NOTE: As well as riflescopes, and night vision there are also export restrictions on weapon attachments and other associated products such as bipods etc

Exporting a riflescope or digital night vision device from the UK to European countries.

UK Export controls restrict the exportation of some products and devices to countries outside the UK

At Scott Country we are registered exporters of riflescopes and the Pulsar Digisight (non Image intensifier device) and can supply these devices to other countries with an Export Licence.

If you are a resident within the EU and hold a Firearms Certificate, wishing to purchase a Optical Weapon Sight, Telescopic Sight or Pulsar N550 Night Vision scope we can now export to you using an OIEL (Conditions Apply) Our licence covers only EU countries however it also covers Exports to Norway only outside the EU.

We will require a written undertaking (firstly emailed then the original posted to us) and a copy of your firearms certificate from you before export.

You can download a Written Undertaking template here (PDF) to be emailed to us.

Please ensure it is complete with your name and address as a header and signed in ink.

The original should be returned to us by post, which we will require before completion of the export.

BEFORE POSTING DOCUMENTS: Please ensure the following have been completed correctly

1. Ensure your Written Undertaking is on headed note paper.

2. Ensure your name address appears in the first paragraph of the document where stated (name and address of person, firm or company).

3. You have entered the goods to be supplied and stated their use/purpose.

4. Sections that do not apply to you are deleted and you delete as appropriate where marked with an asterix (*) , you can see an example of a completed Written Undertaking here.

5. You have signed, dated, and completed your status.

Delivery of your goods is subject to complying with the UK's Export Licensing Authority and we will not ship goods without recieving a correctly completed original written undertaking sent through the post to us.

Ordering from Scott Country if you are an EU resident.

If you plan on purchasing a telescopic riflescope with a magnification of above 4x, we have to satisfy conditions of our OIEL before we can send this to you if you live outside the UK. (Extract from BERR list : ML1D does not control Optical weapon sights without electronic image processing (i.e., using only lenses to view target), with a magnification of 4 times or less, provided they are not specially designed or modified for military use.)

This is because riflescopes have a been given an Export classification of ML1d which means they may be used for military purposes and therefore controls on their export have been put in place.

For countries within the EU we now hold an Open Individual Export Licence to ship these controlled goods to you.

Restrictions on Exporting Nightvision

Nightvision devices including riflescopes and hand held devices are strictly controlled and cannot be exported outside the UK without complying with strict conditions.

Nightvision which contains an image intensifier tube of any sort requires an individual export licence and can only be sent to EU countries (once a licence has been obtained)

We will also need an Import Consent form (read below for more info) should you wish to purchase a Night vision weapon sight that uses a Gen1, Gen 2, or Gen 3 type image intensifier.

Digital Night vision is different our Open Individual Export Licence now covers exports to the EU for the Pulsar N550 Digisight. (conditions apply)

Purchasing a riflescope from outside the EU or
    Purchasing Night Vision with an Image Intensifier Tube within the EU.

If you are a resident of a non EU country (or wish to purchase a Night Vision device) then we require an Export Licence to send a riflescope or Night Vision device to you. (Please Note: We will not send Night Vision outside of the EU)

In addition you will need to acquire another document called an Import Consent Form

What is an Import Consent form and how do i get one?

An import consent form is essentially a letter from your local government/customs office which states that you are allowed to import such a device into your country.

Some countries, who may have been in recent conflicts, pose restrictions in importing equipment or devices which may be used for military applications. This letter gives you permission to import a device.

What if an Import Consent cannot be given as these goods are not controlled in my country?

In some circumstances customers have contacted their customs office to be told that an Import Consent cannot be given as the goods are not controlled for import, and are readily available to purchase anyway. This is quite often the case, and we would in this instance just need a letter from you stating which customs officer and department you spoke with an that no Import Consent can be given as the goods are uncontrolled for import.

Other Dealers in the UK can send these items without all this paperwork, why do Scott Country?

We have heard of other dealers sending riflescopes without an Export Licence, however this is strictly illegal and if your goods do not have an Export Licence attached to them when they enter your country, they may be disposed of and you will loose the value of the item.

At Scott Country we do things properly and assure you that your goods will be sent with secure mail/courier and will have all the necessary export licence requirements fulfilled.

What happens next?

When we recieve your EUU we will submit it to the Export Control organisation along with an SIEL export application and technical specification. We will then email you with a reference number, and await the Export Licence being processed.

When this has taken place and been approved(this can take up to 1 month) we will attach it to your goods, and despatch your goods for customs clearance and shipping.

If you would like to read about the Export/Import regulations for controlled goods such as Nightvision, riflescopes etc, you can download the BERR document here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Wow! That is, uh, interesting. I've never heard of THAT before but then, most folks I know, me included, buy as much stuff as we can from OUTSIDE the UK because of the horrendous cost by comparison with what they cost in their country of origin.

Thank you for taking all that trouble -I DO appreciate it.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Brother has a 6500 in 2.5-16x50 if I remember correctly and it's a great scope in my opinion, I have a Burris fullfield II 6.5-20x50 that I prefer for some reason, the extra mag is useful for target/plinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hillbilly jack

i have an 8-32x50 bushnell elite 6500 and its brilliant for hunting and targets.
    Would sell it for average money . PM me if interested

Advertisement