Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Electronic Engineering like?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I'm considering putting down this on my CAO as a final choice, although I'm being strongly advised against it - with EE apparently full of complex maths, something I've never really liked, although I've never been introduced to maths involving electronics - I'm doing OL Maths for the LC at the moment. I do take a bit of interest in electronics. Could anyone here who's doing it / has done it maybe give me an insight to what it's like? Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

I'm studying Electrical Engineering and its mostly based around complex maths. If you have an interest in electronics then go for it. I was never great at maths at school but I put a huge amount of time into the maths and I am getting through it just fine.

What I am trying to say is if you want to do electronics and put the effort in on the maths when the time comes you will be fine. Dont let the thought of it put you off what you have an interest in, there is great maths support centres in the colleges to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

pieface_ie wrote: »
    I'm studying Electrical Engineering and its mostly based around complex maths. If you have an interest in electronics then go for it. I was never great at maths at school but I put a huge amount of time into the maths and I am getting through it just fine.

What I am trying to say is if you want to do electronics and put the effort in on the maths when the time comes you will be fine. Dont let the thought of it put you off what you have an interest in, there is great maths support centres in the colleges to help you.

Has there been a high drop-out rate in the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

I got an advanced entry so I couldn't really tell you as most people would drop out in first year if they were going to drop out.

You will be fine with the maths if you put the work in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

There's a very high drop/fail rate in all the engineering courses. There's less than half in our year that made it through to 2nd year and probably two thirds will make it into 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 haxer

I'm studying automation engineering, one of the modules on it is electronics, and I gotta say its really interesting.but concerning the maths all engineering courses have alot of complex maths, but as previously said if you put the work in you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Just be careful, it's not like it was years ago. Tough course and no job propects.

I did beng in EE and ended up as a controls engineer programming ****ty plcs

Advertisement