Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday with my dogs

• 27-04-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi I am going cruising next week with my 3 dogs any advice we never did this before. i work long hours so i wanted to share my holiday with them anyone done this type of trip?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

There are homes down the country you can rent that allow dogs to stay.You could rent 1 near a beach and let the dogs come.I have 3 dogs myself.

Whats cruising?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

renting a motor boat on the lakes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I know people who regularly go cruising with their dogs... Each of the dogs have lifejackets in case they fall in and aren't retrieved quickly. I scoffed at the idea at first but when I thought about it, dogs can get really tired quickly, especially in cold water and I suppose especially if they're not a swimmy breed. I also know a couple of dogs who drowned within minutes of falling into fast-flowing water, so yeah, I think were I bringing my dogs boating, I'd invest in lifejackets for them especially on open or fast flowing water.
    Yes, before you ask, doggy lifejackets are available online!
    And kudos to you for bringing your dogs on hols with you, hope they enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

My terrier was able to swim without lessons its natural.I dont think my Rottweilers would be into that though.Where are they going to pooh and wee on deck.Maybe dogs on a boat is not a good idea.Just saying coz i dont want ur trip ruined.A few pints a boat and the dogs may seem like a good holiday and some fishing though.

What dogs do you have OP

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I've two water babies but I still got lifejackets from http://www.countryhounds.ie. The dogs took to the jackets straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Life jackets are a must for all , be they human or canine - it would be unwise to make assumptions about a dogs swimming ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

thanks for all your replies i will have a look in the giant pet store for 3 life jackets for the girls. I have a sprnger who swims in the sea like a maniac cant get enough of it and the terriers one is a super swimmer the other not so good. Anyway we are off on monday so i will let you all know how it went!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Sounds class! Would love to do that with my fur babies some time.

@Tom Cruise...what do you do if your dogs poo when you're on dry land???

Have a great time OP:)

Advertisement