Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Park off Harcourt Street ?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Anyone know this park ? What is it's name ? I can see there is an entrance off Clonmel Street ... is that the only one ? is is open to the public ?

It looks a substantial park ... trust me to only learn about it from a great Polish friend of mine :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

iveagh gardens, yes its open to the public, its not a secret. try looking ar googles maps and youll see it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yep, definitley open to the public.

Good to go into and relax on sunny summer days.

Stephens green is around the corner, is way bigger, is more of a central location to a lot of people and has different sights in it as well as a playground for kids so it tends to get the majority of the park attenders though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's definitely not secret, just not well known, which suits me grand as it's a beautiful place to go and chill out. It also tends not to get junkies or alco's from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

haha , there the iveagh gardens, there by no means a secret, just not that well known unfortunately! Which is a pity because its a really beautiful park designed and given to the city by the guinness family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

adamski8 wrote: »
    iveagh gardens, yes its open to the public, its not a secret. try looking ar googles maps and youll see it

It's not actually shown or labelled on Google maps. It's not even green on their map, as a park should be, and there is no label of Iveagh Gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Piliger wrote: »
    It's not actually shown or labelled on Google maps. It's not even green on their map, as a park should be, and there is no label of Iveagh Gardens.

It doesn't exist so.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Here you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bb1234567 wrote: »
    haha , there the iveagh gardens, there by no means a secret, just not that well known unfortunately! Which is a pity because its a really beautiful park designed and given to the city by the guinness family.

the guinness family really were good towards dublin, they built a lot of good houses around terenure and surrounding areas for their staff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the guinness family really were good towards dublin, they built a lot of good houses around terenure and surrounding areas for their staff as well

the dublin people were even better to the guinness family......they gave them billions in profit....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 windward

Did they not hold the taste of Dublin festival there last year and the year before and a comedy/music festivl there in the past year or two as well? been there once or twice after a walking tour pointed it out a number of years ago. there seems to be wardens that are sharp enough in regards to the junkies etc previously mentioned and the beautiful people who litter - they take no crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's so secret that they hold an annual comedy festival there!!

Carlsberg_Comedy_Carnival_map_600.jpg

Gae wrote: »

That's a satellite image not the maps :D

Gillo wrote: »
    It's definitely not secret, just not well known, which suits me grand as it's a beautiful place to go and chill out. It also tends not to get junkies or alco's from what I've seen.

My son goes to school nearby and local school students have been told by their schools that they are not allowed to use it because whoever runs the park has objected ......

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

nice park,nice and quiet,if it was secret its not really now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

My son goes to school nearby and local school students have been told by their schools that they are not allowed to use it because whoever runs the park has objected ......

Here's the wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveagh_Gardens

It's run by the OPW

It's PUBLIC

They don't exclude school kids.

The Conspiracy Theories board is at this link in case you think aliens are hatching some plot from iveagh gardens:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

have been going to this park since I was a child and love the Iveagh Gardens its is the most beautiful park in the inner city, love the waterfall and the rose garden in the summer is just beautiful and the sun dial lol and the lovely stone statues are so Victorian truly my favourite place to go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

They were also deeply sectarian.

Slydice wrote: »
    Here's the wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveagh_Gardens

It's run by the OPW

It's PUBLIC

They don't exclude school kids.

The Conspiracy Theories board is at this link in case you think aliens are hatching some plot from iveagh gardens:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Send that to the school admins.... not to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Google maps are not the gospel.

The maps that are, i.e. the Ordnance Survey maps, have shown this park since it was opened.

If you take any 14. 15 or 140 buses inbound you will clearly see the park from the upper deck along Hatch Street from where there is an entrance along with those from Clonmel Street and Earlsfort Terrace (behind the Concert Hall).

It is hardly a secret - perhaps just not as well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Can you drive in? Google street view car must have driven around it
    http://g.co/maps/kc2kw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

NO you cant drive in that would be just terrible if you could, google street view cant go everywhere, if you want to see it visit it, lots of grass, trees, fountains, a waterfall, rose garden, old sun dial its on hatch street or you can get in through the entrance at the side of the old harcourt hospital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

202883.jpg

202884.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

edellc wrote: »
    NO you cant drive in that would be just terrible if you could, google street view cant go everywhere, if you want to see it visit it, lots of grass, trees, fountains, a waterfall, rose garden, old sun dial its on hatch street or you can get in through the entrance at the side of the old harcourt hospital

I wonder how they got the street view images? I guess someone walked the camera around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I wonder how they got the street view images? I guess someone walked the camera around?

A handheld photographic device? Could such a thing exist? :eek:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A handheld photographic device? Could such a thing exist? :eek:

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Is it the norm for google to use "a handheld photographic device"? My understanding was that all of their recording was done by a camera mounted on a car, hence why there is no google street view for predominantly pedestrian areas, for example Venice and the old town of Salzburg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lollymcd wrote: »
    My understanding was that all of their recording was done by a camera mounted on a car
    Nope:
    google-streetview-trike-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I've seen Google tricycles with a camera mounted on the back. Probably one of them!

*huzzah!* ^^

Ah very good, that look's very silly indeed! Well that explains that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

They sometimes secretly host the Taste of Dublin event there, and secret comedy and music festivals.

Shush, don't tell anyone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I've seen Google tricycles with a camera mounted on the back. Probably one of them!

*huzzah!* ^^

You can see the shadow of the tricycles in some views.

Advertisement