Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In defence of cyclists

• 27-04-2012 8:46pm
    Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Cyclists in Ireland often get treated like absolute dirt by some vehicle drivers on Irish roads.

I've been witness to cyclists suffering intimidation who were forced off the road by a maniac car driver.

Cycle lanes in Ireland are nothing short of a joke, often going through car parking spaces and with many, many obstructions.

Then there is the whole "Hurr Durr, I pay road tax, Hurr Durr!" line of thinking. That should say spasticated line of thinking. No such thing as road tax, its motor emissons tax which cyclists of course don't have to pay due to the self propelling nature of bicycles.

A lot of motorists take absolutely no precautions towards cyclists and fail to treat a fellow road user as they would someone driving a car.

I've seen some motorists get ever so slightly delayed from following a bike and fly off a fit of rage, and harassing the cyclist, running close to them and generally behaving in an intimadatory manner.

Anyway its high time cyclists were treated with a bit of respect and understanding in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

just let the cnuts use the footpaths,id rather them gettin in the way of other pedestrians then in the way of cars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I'm a pedestrian, and I've only ever been hit by a cyclist. A lot of them seem to think that because they ride a bike, rules of the road don't apply to them. Not all, but I've seen it happen a fair bit that they run a red light to go around a corner. Either use the fucking footpath or stop at red lights, assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

As a cyclist I agree that many drivers have a terrible attitude towards cyclists, but this is partly due to the fact that in my experience, most cyclists refuse to follow some of the most basic rules of the road such as obeying traffic lights and indicating.
    I pretty much always follow the rules and cycle confidently, and find that many drivers treat me with more respect.

Ultimately though, most people around roads including cyclists (red light? doesn't apply to me), drivers (I don't need to indicate, I'm driving an expensive car) and pedestrians (it's ok to step in front of this bike I see coming as it won't hurt as much as a car) are profoundly stupid.
    Tomebagel wrote: »
    just let the cnuts use the footpaths,id rather them gettin in the way of other pedestrians then in the way of cars!

Cyclists aren't pedestrians, and there's not enough room on footpaths for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i dont have a problem with cyclists and i will always give them a wide birth while driving but when i am walking and they cycle on the footpath, that really pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ares wrote: »
    Cyclists in Ireland often get treated like absolute dirt by some vehicle drivers on Irish roads.

I've been witness to cyclists suffering intimidation who were forced off the road by a maniac car driver.

Cycle lanes in Ireland are nothing short of a joke, often going through car parking spaces and with many, many obstructions.

Then there is the whole "Hurr Durr, I pay road tax, Hurr Durr!" line of thinking. That should say spasticated line of thinking. No such thing as road tax, its motor emissons tax which cyclists of course don't have to pay due to the self propelling nature of bicycles.

A lot of motorists take absolutely no precautions towards cyclists and fail to treat a fellow road user as they would someone driving a car.

I've seen some motorists get ever so slightly delayed from following a bike and fly off a fit of rage, and harassing the cyclist, running close to them and generally behaving in an intimadatory manner.

Anyway its high time cyclists were treated with a bit of respect and understanding in Ireland.

Why should they be treated with respect, if they don't treat their own bodies with respect? Expecting the tax payer to fork out for their illict pleasures.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

If they want to be treated with respect then stop cycling in the middle of the road and get out of the fucking way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Do cyclists pay road tax and insurance for their bicycles?

No, because we're helping to save the planet. *smug smiley*

No, because we're helping to save the planet. *smug smiley*

Superheroes in lycra with silly hats. We are safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The hierarchy of road users is

Pedestrians
    |
    |
    Drivers
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Dublin Bus Drivers
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Taxi Drivers
    |
    Cyclists

The fact that cyclists are below bus drivers and taxi drivers says it all.

• Advertisement

Superheroes in lycra with silly hats. We are safe.

You're welcome, citizen. Pedal, awaaaaaaaaay!!

*pedals slowly away, gradually gaining speed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Cyclists are fine when they obey the rules of the road. Or, y'know, cycle in SINGLE FILE when there's more than one of them.

There's a woman who frequently cycles the road I drive every morning with her daughter (teen). They cycle beside each other, on a road hit with traffic from 3 schools coming up to 9am every morning.

Height of ignorance :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It called motor tax for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

1. Cyclists should obey rules of the road of they want to be treated seriously. I mean at least give a fcuk about lights. At least. And the lights are the top of the iceberg.

2. Motorists are often acting/driving/parking like total retards and this should be dealt with by Gardai, who - unfortunately - do nothing. Could be such a great way to obtain extra funds in these difficult times.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Nodin wrote: »
    Why should they be treated with respect, if they don't treat their own bodies with respect? Expecting the tax payer to fork out for their illict pleasures.....

I'm afraid I don't quite understand where you're coming from her? Most cyclists are quite health conscious and treat their bodies far better than most of the population would do.
    If they want to be treated with respect then stop cycling in the middle of the road and get out of the fucking way!

Cyclists rarely cycle in the middle of the road, but if they do during busy traffic it is to avoid being crushed by other vehicles.

No such thing as road tax as I illustrated earlier and insurance is not a legal requirement for bicycles. As you well know however it is for cars. :D;)

You're welcome, citizen. Pedal, awaaaaaaaaay!!

*pedals slowly away, gradually gaining speed*

My Dad is a devotee of the bicycle. Has all the gear and regularly heads off on cycles of 50km. It is comical watching this brute of a man in his skin tight lycra festooned in colours that would blind a Leprechaun.

Then when he is driving he will berate cyclists for giving cyclists a bad name.

Cyclists rarely cycle in the middle of the road, but if they do during busy traffic it is to avoid being crushed by other vehicles.

Take the blinkers off, every day I see cyclists at the North Strand who refuse to use the cycle path which is in off the road, but prefer to struggle up the hill in the middle of the road while holding up traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Cyclists in Dublin do get a raw deal - particularly in the city centre. A lot drivers behave like pigs. They seem to think that no other vehicle, or pedestrians for that matter have any right to use the road. It's actually a serious problem in Dublin. (There is a subgroup among cyclists in Dublin who are particularly bad though - couriers. The stuff they do on busy Dublin streets is absolutely crazy sometimes.)

I, however, live in Toronto and it's the exact opposite. Drivers here are extremely aware of cyclists and pedestrians. The pedestrian right-of-way law is respected here. Except... by cyclists. They cycle on paths, cycle the wrong way along roads - rarely use lights / or reflective gear. Cyclists here are just awful people. And to those who say, 'surely it's a minority and you can't tar them all with the same brush' you're wrong. They are the overwhelming majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

-snip-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I cycle and drive. I am delighted with the courtesy and care from some drivers.

Yesterday on my early morning cycle in wind and heavy rain near Enniskerry two tree felling trucks pulling trailers gave me plenty of time on the narrow road and overtook only when I had managed to find a spot to pull in.

I try to avoid cycling at school drop-off time as the driving and manoeuvring from 4x4s is imo dangerous.

And when I drive I anticipate problems for cyclists and give them plenty of room. or wait until it is safe to overtake.

• Advertisement

I, however, live in Toronto and it's the exact opposite. Drivers here are extremely aware of cyclists and pedestrians. The pedestrian right-of-way law is respected here. Except... by cyclists. They cycle on paths, cycle the wrong way along roads - rarely use lights / or reflective gear. Cyclists here are just awful people. And to those who say, 'surely it's a minority and you can't tar them all with the same brush' you're wrong. They are the overwhelming majority.

Are you sure you're in Toronto?...or is being a cycle wanker a worldwide condition?

Just look at the ad at the bottom of the page, how can you not despise cyclists....hope that f*ckers beard gets caught in the spokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A lot of cyclists are motorists, a lot of motorists are cyclists. All idiots on the road are either.

Most seem to be attracted to these threads though, they're like fly paper to motorists who are clueless when it comes to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Most definitely not, just last month one morning around 9am or so, the green man at the pedestrian crossing went off and all the pedestrians began to cross the road and some cyclist speeds through the solid red light and hits this guy!The man was ok and wasnt hit full on, he seemed quite shocked,but he still ended up on the ground.Lots of people came over to him to help and see if he was alright. It was a close one,Could have been badly injured, and what if it was a child?? could have ended very badly.Now the cyclist was very apolagetic but still, Ive seen this happen many times before, cyclist running red lights,not indicating left or right,no respect for the rules of the road really, very dangerous. They dont seem to think the rules of the road apply to them, so maybe when these cyclists show a little respct to the rules of the road and other pedestrians we and the motorists will start to show a little respect back to them too. Dont act like the cyclists are always the victims in these situations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ice zombie

As someone who both cycles and drives I'd be interested in know how many of you sole motorists with the retarded attitudes to cyclists do any exercise at all? Or are you just paying your road tax now only to cost the state thousands with your cardiovascular disease and diabetes in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I think the worst cyclists are the ones using dublinbikes. They have no concept of road safety or the rules of the road. I rarely see one wearing a helmet or safety gear. They are a danger to themselves, pedestrians and other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Cyclists are fine when they obey the rules of the road. Or, y'know, cycle in SINGLE FILE when there's more than one of them.

There's a woman who frequently cycles the road I drive every morning with her daughter (teen). They cycle beside each other, on a road hit with traffic from 3 schools coming up to 9am every morning.

Height of ignorance :mad:

You're supposed to do this, riding in single file forces drivers to over-take you properly. Otherwise, drivers will often try and squeeze past in the same lane and end up killing people. This is the same reason a lot of cyclists don't cycle right at the edge of the road like some drivers seem to think they're supposed to, it's for safety and visibility's sake. Also makes it easier to avoid potholes, pedestrians who wander into streets and cars nudging out of drive-ways and side-roads (a lot of the same reasons experienced and/or sensible cyclists rarely use off-road cycle-lanes, junctions get very dangerous, people get killed).

Being two-up rather than single file also means the line of cyclists is shorter so when you do over-take them properly you have to spend less time on the wrong side of the road.

Of course there are instances where it makes sense to ride in single-file but it shouldn't be considered the defacto road position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I see cyclists at the North Strand who refuse to use the cycle path which is in off the road, but prefer to struggle up the hill in the middle of the road while holding up traffic.

maybe cause its ****e and goes across 3 roads, which cars sit on, by a bus stop where people hop on / off buses, people walk on, delivery vans park on etc etc - its safer on the road, trust me

Using individual cases as examples of why all cyclists are reckless idiots is obviously a bit silly, as one isn't representative of all, and anyone could do the same about pedestrians or motorists.

Ultimately, it's silly to say "*insert one of motorists/pedestrians/cyclists* are idiots!" because there are plenty of examples of people of all those groups behaving carelessly or dangerously.
    As someone who cycles, drives and walks, I see carelessness on all sides.

It's not silly to stick up for cyclists, however. Though I said most cyclists don't follow some of the rules of the roads, the attitude of some drivers towards all cyclists is both childish and dangerous, and there does seem to be a greater anti-cyclist sentiment among the public at large. This is mostly due to the fact that more people drive than cycle, so they're more aware of cyclists' bad habits than their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I think the worst cyclists are the ones using dublinbikes. They have no concept of road safety or the rules of the road. I rarely see one wearing a helmet or safety gear. They are a danger to themselves, pedestrians and other road users.

Helmets are not required by law, and rightly so. Dublin bikes are all equipped with front and back lights which is enough as regards safety. I have seen a lot of crazy maneuvers by people riding them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As a country, we need the cyclists who ignore the rules of the road.
    http://www.ika.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am both a motorist and a cyclist, I agree to an extent about some motorists, they have to realise a cyclist is also a part of the traffic and he is very vulnerable being perched on 2 wheels at a height and balancing. I have never gotten road rage but by heavens i have gotten bike rage.

But I have to criticise us there are a lot of irresponsible cyclists out there, breaking lights going down 1 way streets and mounting footpaths, I can be one myself and I should know better being a driver.

I strongly disagree about our cycling network, it is by noway perfect, but credit were credit is due and Dublin corpo have done a splendid job so far and it is still improving, we were recently placed in the top 10 cities to cycle in the world and considering the network is only about 10 years old, that is pretty good. But more needs to be done, especially the pot holes in some of the lanes.

I am lucky in that some of my commute is along the Grand canal and that is a morning pleasure, I have a cycling dream, if they could somehow link the 2 canals with a separate dedicated cycle lane you would have a kind of m50 for cyclists. That would keep us out of the traffic for a lot of our journeys plus it would be a good tourist attraction.

I only took up cycling since the bike to work scheme was introduced, I can't believe how much I am into it, for those who think they would not like it, try it for a while. The benefits in fitness, weight loss, mood lifting, money saving are enormous.

Its coming into the summer now, time to park up the car again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ugh a few of these posts are ridiculous - I saw this one cyclist this one time do something there for all cyclist are bad mkay, it would be like me saying I once saw this driver break this one rule therefore no one should drive. But hey a bit of profiling can be done there are good and bad road users and from what Ive seen there are two types of cyclists I see riding side by side and going through red lights and thats Dublin bike cyclists and the douchebags on a bike you know the ones who obviously are taking cycling so seriously that they cannot slow down for a mere red light.

Now I really can't understand the casual commuter cyclist who doesnt stop for red lights., you shouldnt be so arrogant and you should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

o look, its friday!

A tip for your cycling safety, a handle bar mirror has done a lot for my confidence on the road. I highly reccomend you get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

saa wrote: »
    from what Ive seen there are two types of cyclists I see riding side by side

While the rest of your post is quiet reasonable and non-retarded, at this I just have to say 'facepalm.'

• Advertisement

While the rest of your post is quiet reasonable and non-retarded, at this I just have to say 'facepalm.'

Why I have seen that to, it does hold up traffic and force cars to dangerously overtake. You see it a lot with cycling clubs on main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm a pedestrian, and I've only ever been hit by a cyclist.

Not surprising. Most people who get hit by cars end up too dead to post on Boards about the reckless jerk that hit them.

I cycle. I stop on red. I obey the rules of the road. I'd appreciate if people could manage not to assume all cyclists are the same.

Also: the level of ignorance of the rules of the road exhibited by some people who give out about cyclists is genuinely scary. Cycling two abreast is legal and the safest option in a lot of cases. And cyclists have exactly the same level of entitlement to use the road as drivers do.

Not surprising. Most people who get hit by cars end up too dead to post on Boards about the reckless jerk that hit them.

I cycle. I stop on red. I obey the rules of the road. I'd appreciate if people could manage not to assume all cyclists are the same.

Also: the level of ignorance of the rules of the road exhibited by some people who give out about cyclists is genuinely scary. Cycling two abreast is legal and the safest option in a lot of cases. And cyclists have exactly the same level of entitlement to use the road as drivers do.

I don't know about it being the safest option and I am a cyclist, also it shows inconsideration to the motorist. You are right non of us own the roads, we share them, and we should also be considerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here's an example of a suicidal cyclist

and another who nearly fell over the Luas tracks but I was driving behind him so gave him enough time to compose himself to get over the shock. I'm a cyclist and motorist by the way so know whats it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mooeygooey

I have no problem with cyclists but it really boggles the mind when I see cyclists on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle lane right beside them. I mean, if it's there, why not use it and protect yourself and potentially not block traffic?

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Here's an example of a suicidal cyclist

and another who nearly fell over the Luas tracks but I was driving behind him so gave him enough time to compose himself to get over the shock. I'm a cyclist and motorist by the way so know whats it like.

Bloody hell, I also see cyclist dressed like Ninjas and no lights at night, suicidal behaviour, the high vis tops are so cheap now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

why a helmet and safety gear ?

a bicycle helmet will offer negligible impact protection in a collision at 50kph as they are only designed for 20kph cyclist only incidents

unless a cyclist is wearing a motorcycle helmet they might as well be wearing a tea cosy for all the good it would do if hit by a car

when motorists are forced to wear crash helmets for their own protection
    or when the drivers air bag is replaced by a harpoon for the protection of other road users then maybe the helmet debate will mean something other than motorists trying to shift blame on to cyclists.

cycling is intrinsically safe
    very few people die from cycling

lots die because of collisions with motorists, and it's usually the motorists fault.

cars in the city centre shouldn't be travelling that fast anyway - even if the 30Kph zone is not respected.

cycle helmets are like mobile phones, despite the numbers using them there is no clear cut evidence that they save lives / cause cancer.

wearing a blond wig is far more effective at preventing you getting hit by a car in the first place and so would be more useful that a helmet.

a bicycle helmet will offer negligible impact protection in a collision at 50kph as they are only designed for 20kph cyclist only incidents

unless a cyclist is wearing a motorcycle helmet they might as well be wearing a tea cosy for all the good it would do if hit by a car

or when the drivers air bag is replaced by a harpoon for the protection of other road users then maybe the helmet debate will mean something other than motorists trying to shift blame on to cyclists.

lots die because of collisions with motorists, and it's usually the motorists fault.

cars in the city centre shouldn't be travelling that fast anyway - even if the 30Kph zone is not respected.

cycle helmets are like mobile phones, despite the numbers using them there is no clear cut evidence that they save lives / cause cancer.

wearing a blond wig is far more effective at preventing you getting hit by a car in the first place and so would be more useful that a helmet.

I agree but they look good and it is the advertised norm, it gives our loved ones peace of mind.

My cycling Helmut versus a bus, my polysterinen plastic helmet would so obviously win, but you have to feel sorry for the poor bus folk who would be tossed through the windows on impact.

For them we shouldn't wear one, but who will think off the loved ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Way to selective quote, you get a banana sticker for competency in your chosen field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mooeygooey wrote: »
    I have no problem with cyclists but it really boggles the mind when I see cyclists on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle lane right beside them. I mean, if it's there, why not use it and protect yourself and potentially not block traffic?

because most are ****e and are actually more dangerous than being on the road. alot of cycle lanes here are an afterthought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Judging by the rants in this thread, no-one ever sees the huge number of pedestrians who are happy enough to stroll across the road while the red man signal is on nor has anyone seen the huge number of cars who enjoy speeding up and going through the lights once they see it hit orange. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i think i agree with the OP, i have been knocked down, had a glass bottle thrown at me, an ash tray thrown at me, drivers spitting at me and other sorts of general ****e. i know some cyclists dont always obey the rules but dont paint us all with the same brush, just a bit of common decency would go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I can't post a link as I'm on my phone but take a look at the RSA website they recommend helmets and hi viz jackets. If they are so useless why recommend them.

The dublinbikes website also tell users to check the RSA website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Should rename the thread "An attack on non cyclists"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Bicycle licence
    Cat licence
    Computer licence
    Pet rabbit licence
    Hurl, tennis racquet and golf club licence.

Enda is doing his sums as we speak :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement