Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In defence of cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus, Parnell St. I'm surprised someone didn't take your bike while you were picking yourself off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Fk them, and the knackers on their horses. if they can afford a bike or horse they can afford to take the bus.
    For recreation let them do it outside of Dublin and early in the morning. people have jobs to get to.
    they should have manners and get out of the way when theres a car behind them.
    and those cnts with their rubbery s+m gear and their rubber-washer asshles pointing directly into my windscreen are disgusting. stop fantasizing, youre not in the tour de france in the 80's, you never will be, nobody cares, your a cnut getting in everyones way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Chamone MF wrote: »
    Fk them, and the knackers on their horses. if they can afford a bike or horse they can afford to take the bus.
    For recreation let them do it outside of Dublin and early in the morning. people have jobs to get to.
    and those cnts with their rubbery s+m gear and their rubber-washer asshles pointing directly into my windscreen are disgusting. stop fantasizing, youre not in the tour de france in the 80's, you never will be, nobody cares, your a cnut getting in everyones way.

I take my bike to work. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

people have jobs to get to.
    http://sites.google.com/site/ingeniumetars3/img/Unknown_You-are-traffic.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

and those cnts with their rubbery s+m gear and their rubber-washer asshles pointing directly into my windscreen are disgusting. stop fantasizing

I've never seen anyone cycling wearing s+m rubber (I doubt it provides much breathability). Maybe you're the one who's letting his fantasies run away with him.

I take my bike to work. :confused:

And you slow people down.

Stark wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone cycling wearing s+m rubber (I doubt it provides much breathability). Maybe you're the one who's letting his fantasies run away with him.

Tight fitting shorts which emphasize the crotch while they're bent forward grabbing onto metal handles with a strained red look on their faces while being abused by strangers in cars.

they're all perverts.

And you slow people down.

That's what you think. In reality, it's one less car that you're stuck behind at the lights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tight fitting shorts which emphasize the crotch

My crotch does not need to be emphasized, it does a fantastic job of showing off all by itself.
    Tight fitting shorts which emphasize the crotch while they're bent forward

Unless your that detective from Ace Ventura, I think you need to get some anatomy lessons for the atypical layout of a man.
    they're all perverts.

Takes one to know one :p

That's what you think. In reality, it's one less car that you're stuck behind at the lights.

I mostly travel by car in the suburbs/outer Dublin, theres long stretches between lights and roundabouts, thankfully once I (and everyone else) finally pass an inconvenient cyclist I no longer have to look at them in their ridiculous get-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I'm a driver, cyclist and pedestrian by turns.

I fully realise that (as an overweight 40+ IT guy) I'm unlikely to compete in the tour, but you're not on an F1 circuit so take a chill pill, stick Lyric on the radio and arrive at your destination without having a stroke.

I cycle to and from work, and find motorists with an excessive sense of entitlement are the major problem, occupying cycle lanes, pulling out into junctions they won't get across before the light change, sudden lane changes as they take off at the lights.

The reason I cycle in town is because it is way faster than driving, even allowing for the shower when I get to the office.

CramCycle wrote: »

Unless your that detective from Ace Ventura, I think you need to get some anatomy lessons for the atypical layout of a man.

Rear perspective, bent forward. urrgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

was going for a jog yesterday morning. Had my bottle water and was jogging along slowly on the footpath. Accidently knocked my water bottle (it hit my hip and went flying) down the footpath. Jogged down and bent over to pick it up and nearly got run over from an idiot on a bike behind me on the footpath. Not a bother on her. Looked at me as if I, as a pedestrian was in the wrong to be on the footpath. I roared at her that she was an idiot. She got off her bike, took out her phone and made a phone call. I kept jogging - she finally passed me again ON THE ROAD this time.

obviously she called somebody to complain about me calling her an idiot but whoever it was put her straight.

cyclists need to know the rules of the road - they should have to get a licence if they want to use the road. There are a lot of idiot cyclists about - sorry, but it's true.

was going for a jog yesterday morning. Had my bottle water and was jogging along slowly on the footpath. Accidently knocked my water bottle (it hit my hip and went flying) down the footpath. Jogged down and bent over to pick it up and nearly got run over from an idiot on a bike behind me on the footpath. Not a bother on her. Looked at me as if I, as a pedestrian was in the wrong to be on the footpath. I roared at her that she was an idiot. She got off her bike, took out her phone and made a phone call. I kept jogging - she finally passed me again ON THE ROAD this time.

obviously she called somebody to complain about me calling her an idiot but whoever it was put her straight.

Where was this? Are you sure it wasn't a shared pedestrian/cycle path? Some of them can be very subtle like this monstrosity near Kilmainham: http://g.co/maps/nqj7w (Note the shared pedestrian/bike sign). Luckily there's a cycle lane next to the road so moronic motorists/bus drivers don't give you grief for not cycling on the footpad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

and those cnts with their rubbery s+m gear and their rubber-washer asshles pointing directly into my windscreen are disgusting. stop fantasizing,
    There's only one person fantasising about S&M and asshles here man. That's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Where was this? Are you sure it wasn't a shared pedestrian/cycle path? Some of them can be very subtle like this monstrosity near Kilmainham: http://g.co/maps/nqj7w (Note the shared pedestrian/bike sign). Luckily there's a cycle lane next to the road so moronic motorists/bus drivers don't give you grief for not cycling on the footpad.

in Galway, in old Galway, where it was definitely a footpath. A very residential quiet street - goodness knows why she was up on the path in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they should have manners
    your a cnut getting in everyones way.
    Maybe they could get lessons in manners from your charming self. It's hilarious that you are calling them the cunt.
    they can afford to take the bus
    But the bus takes ages, being held up by what I presume you consider unmannerly cunt drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

I mostly travel by car in the suburbs/outer Dublin, theres long stretches between lights and roundabouts, thankfully once I (and everyone else) finally pass an inconvenient cyclist I no longer have to look at them in their ridiculous get-up.
    "Inconvenient cyclist". Discommoding you in your journey from red light to red light, raised blood pressure and coronary heart disease?

SleepDoc wrote: »
    "Inconvenient cyclist". Discommoding you in your journey from red light to red light, raised blood pressure and coronary heart disease?

Nah just some strong revs and my big horn. maybe throw a banana at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

Nah just some strong revs and my big horn. maybe throw something at them.

Ooooooh, strong revs and a big horn.

You must be so big and strong. Jaw like granite, muscles to die for. A dreamboat.

I have a sister you know.

SleepDoc wrote: »
    Ooooooh, strong revs and a big horn.

You must be so big and strong. Jaw like granite, muscles to die for. A dreamboat.

I have a sister you know.

Yes I know.

Hmnn not every cyclist wears lycra- I certainly don't. A comfy pair of pants, a jacket and away I go. I think you need to rethink this tarring of cyclists with the same brush- it's not accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Tight fitting shorts which emphasize the crotch while they're bent forward grabbing onto metal handles with a strained red look on their faces while being abused by strangers in cars.

they're all perverts.

You seem to be obsessing a little here. Are you sure you're not repressing something in your own sexuality ?

Don't be shy, feel free to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I gave up cycling after two near death experiences involving 1 car and 1 truck edging into the cycle lane on a straight stretch of road.

Cars do something to men (i use the term 'men' loosely), some dopes rage at any perceived hangups on their way from light to light.

Today while driving the car back from the gym, I had some muppet start beeping at me over what he perceived to be a gap in oncoming traffic, which to be honest did not exist.

I looked in the rear-view and here he is throwing his skinny little hands in the air he was definitely over 50, possibly an accountant. It took every ounce of my being not to get out, and drag him out of his cocoon and beat the living **** out of him.

This was in goatstown today, he turned off close to where I live, so this dick was just going home or something not even rushing to work. I may call to his house later today and .... have a word.

Who cares if a cyclist runs a red light?? it won't make the car drivers journey any faster, worry about yourselfs, these percieved injustices you experience don't delay you at all, the fact you use a car in the city is what is delaying you, bloody slobs, you make me sick!

I gave up cycling after two near death experiences involving 1 car and 1 truck edging into the cycle lane on a straight stretch of road.

Its a pity that you gave it up, there are near death experiences to be had in any mode of transport though. I had a close call on the M50 when someone swerved accross two lanes at 100+ with not even an indicator. I was in the slow lane preparing to turn, only for I just caught it out of the corner of my eye and slammed on, he wouldn't be here today but he didn't notice, the car behind me did and thankfully was equally annoyed with him and not me
    Cars do something to men (i use the term 'men' loosely), some dopes rage at any perceived hangups on their way from light to light.
    Some people are dicks, end of, be they in a car, ina bus or on a bicycle or on two feet.
    Today while driving the car back from the gym, I had some muppet start beeping at me over what he perceived to be a gap in oncoming traffic, which to be honest did not exist.

I looked in the rear-view and here he is throwing his skinny little hands in the air he was definitely over 50, possibly an accountant. It took every ounce of my being not to get out, and drag him out of his cocoon and beat the living **** out of him.

I've learned to let go of this, if everyone who deserved a slap got one, both my hand and my face would be red, I can admit even I make mistakes :eek:
    This was in goatstown today, he turned off close to where I live, so this dick was just going home or something not even rushing to work. I may call to his house later today and .... have a word.

Be polite when you do so, no point going to jail for verbal or physical assault in retaliation for an event you cannot prove.
    Who cares if a cyclist runs a red light?? it won't make the car drivers journey any faster, worry about yourselfs, these percieved injustices you experience don't delay you at all, the fact you use a car in the city is what is delaying you, bloody slobs, you make me sick!

It will make crossing traffic swerve, scare pedestrians who were not expecting it, generally lead to the perception that law breaking is acceptable. Just because some cyclists take care when doing it, doesn't mean the people who see it and think I can do that will take care or even realise care was being taken, much like a lemming following a bird off a cliff, the bird knows it can fly, the lemming doesn't think past the walking off the cliff part is OK because I have seen that other thing do it loads of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sunday mornings are very popular for cyclists here. Especially in the suburbs.
    Every sunday morning I meet groups of them on the road, no prob there. Its for both of us and they have cycle lanes on all the major roads I use.
    My problem is they always cycle 2 and 3 deep on Sundays. Don't know if they think its ok because the roads are generally a little quieter or something. But they rarely move in to single file when cars are coming at the back of them. Really annoying. This are not amateurs either, all kitted out in their gear, good road bikes too, not your normal joe soap bikes.
    If they moved in to single file I'd be happy.

Its a safety thing, it forces cars to recognize them. You would think that a motorist would be aware of them anyway, but some motorists don't see anything that isn't a car, case in point I've been blown off my bike twice by drivers swerving into my lane. Cars will also pull out onto a cycle lane without once seeing the cyclist, happened to me more than once. The funny thing is a cyclist will make the same time through the city as a car.

Cram I've never see a cyclist jumping a red light and taking off across a road (although the amber is just a speed up notice to most drivers in Dublin), what motorists complain about is a pedestrian crossing light, which to be fair is rarely a danger. I'm not endorsing the behavior but there's a reason why a lot of cyclists do it, it's momentum as a cyclist you create your own whereas fat-asses just push a pedal.

Cars kill pedestrians and cyclists, there can be no argument about cyclists until this issue is addressed, how many people this year were killed from cyclists jumping a red light?

Anyone who complains about cyclists is an idiot and if the world wasn't a place for nutters cyclists would be the most important thing on the road in cities / towns.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The two abreast issue has been covered at length, at least twice, already in this thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cram I've never see a cyclist jumping a red light and taking off across a road (although the amber is just a speed up notice to most drivers in Dublin)

Really? I saw two people do it in a 1.5km journey this morning.

Course you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If every cyclist in the country got pissed off and decided to drive to work/college next Monday morning the cities of Ireland would be strangled

You're talking tens of thousands of extra cars on the roads

Chamone MF, will you wake up and realise the cyclists are not slowing you down, in fact they are doing you a favour
    Rabies wrote: »
    My problem is they always cycle 2 and 3 deep on Sundays. Don't know if they think its ok because the roads are generally a little quieter or something.

Drivers will take chances with a cyclist on their own or in single file

Bully them and squeeze so close they'd almost brush your arm!

By going two deep it forces the drivers to wait a little, judge the situation and overtake when safe.
    No different to overtaking a car

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I was approaching red light at traffic on my bike the other morning and was preparing to stop when a car over took me to get in ahead of me at the light. She left me with so little time to stop that I couldn't take my foot out of the strap and I had to pass on her outside to avoid a collision, at that point the light turned green and I over took her. A very dangerous manouvre and she must have thought that axxehxle of a cyclists. Not acknowledging her actions left me with no choice Last week I had to hit the back window of a car with my fist when he over took me on an narrow road with on coming traffic and his wing mirror hit my little finger. Point is car should never be that close to a cyclist that you can hit it with a closed fist. It's easy to pick bad examples of bad cyclists, bad motorists and bad pedestrians, but a car will always win in the collision stakes. When I see irresponsible driving I'd like to stop the motorist and show them a picture of my wife and three year old daughter and say "they're expecting me at home today" show some due care that's all.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If every cyclist in the country got pissed off and decided to drive to work/college next Monday morning the cities of Ireland would be strangled

You're talking tens of thousands of extra cars on the roads

Chamone MF, will you wake up and realise the cyclists are not slowing you down, in fact they are doing you a favour

Drivers will take chances with a cyclist on their own or in single file

Bully them and squeeze so close they'd almost brush your arm!

By going two deep it forces the drivers to wait a little, judge the situation and overtake when safe.
    No different to overtaking a car

That's what drives me nuts, how does ONE over weight lazy arsehole in a car who pollutes the very air we breath think they have more rights than someone doing their bit both for themselves and the environment, that kind of bigotry is how wars start.

Cram I've never see a cyclist jumping a red light and taking off across a road (although the amber is just a speed up notice to most drivers in Dublin), what motorists complain about is a pedestrian crossing light, which to be fair is rarely a danger.

Really? I imagine they would also be annoyed if you cycled through crossing traffic if you had a red light and they had a green, just my opinion though, it annoys me when any road user, bar an Emergency Vehicle, does it.
    Course you did.

I did too, is this going to be the new game to take over Yellow Reg?

crusher000 wrote: »
    When I see irresponsible driving I'd like to stop the motorist and show them a picture of my wife and three year old daughter and say "they're expecting me at home today" show some due care that's all.

Thats a brilliant line, I must start using that one

If a cyclist jumps a red light into on coming traffic good luck to them, it's not like he'll even make a dent in a car, what you are suggesting is that cyclists are driving into moving lanes of traffic, why should motorists care about that?? That gives them an excuse to cut them down, which they have been doing for some time now regardless of legality.

You go to the luas stop in Dundrum, for example, and watch the cars run a red at the pedestrian crossing, stay there an hour and count them and that will add up a years worth of cyclists you see jumping reds.

I throw bananas at cyclists. On rare occasion breakfast puddings too but they're expensive and for special occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I throw bananas at cyclists. On rare occasion breakfast puddings too but they're expensive and for special occasions.

Lovely, where's your usual location - I get quite peckish on the bike. Please make sure the puddings are cooked medium-rare.

one warp speed banana surprise coming up

ok i don't really, ive just been having a laugh here on my posts, that said i've been tempted. cyclists deserve everything they get as someone posted earlier. imho its ignorant to expect a line of traffic to wait behind you. ill leave it there.

(i have seen a pudding thrown at a pedestrian though - had to laugh)

Cram I've never see a cyclist jumping a red light and taking off across a road...

I see it all the time on Parnell Street.

*KH is a full time cyclist and nothing peeves him more than bad cyclists.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

Theres a considerable number of halfwits out there that laugh at someone being hit with something from a moving car. A young woman near where I live was blinded in one eye by someone who thought that kind of thing was funny.

Motorists dont realise the junctions where pedestrians and cyclists get a simultaneous green light while cars get a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I throw bananas at cyclists.

Racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

one warp speed banana surprise coming up

ok i don't really, ive just been having a laugh here on my posts, that said i've been tempted. cyclists deserve everything they get as someone posted earlier. imho its ignorant to expect a line of traffic to wait behind you. ill leave it there.

(i have seen a pudding thrown at a pedestrian though - had to laugh)

Don't feed the troll ... just throw food at him :)

om nom nom nom

trollololol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Look all cyclists are **** its the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I tried turtle shells but unfortunately the only ones I can ever find are green ones and I'm not that accurate with those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Not sure if this might be off topic or not or posted already, but from reading other posts through the thread, some cyclists were being harasssed for not using the cycle lanes at times and forced to using alternatives such as the footpaths and roads. Some good points were made by Casey in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If a cyclist jumps a red light into on coming traffic good luck to them, it's not like he'll even make a dent in a car

A friend of mine had her car t-boned by a cyclist going through a red light. Her back passenger door was dented to the extent that it needed to be replaced. I've had cyclists come flying at me when I've been walking across an intersection with the lights in my favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If a cyclist jumps a red light into on coming traffic good luck to them, it's not like he'll even make a dent in a car, what you are suggesting is that cyclists are driving into moving lanes of traffic, why should motorists care about that?? That gives them an excuse to cut them down, which they have been doing for some time now regardless of legality.

I drive a motorcycle, I've been hit by one cyclist which knocked the bike over, broke the indicator and scratched my petrol tank. Also, 2 closest incidents to me seriously injuring someone in traffic was a cyclist going straight through a red light on a crossroads. I was close to coming off on one of those incidents and if I hit the cyclist in either, I'd have come off the bike at a decent speed and the bike probably written off and the cyclist badly injured too.
    Simplest thing to do is to not break reds and remember that there's other road users out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I'm a responsible, and I'm cyclist.

Advertisement