Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In defence of cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Cyclists in Dublin do get a raw deal - particularly in the city centre. A lot drivers behave like pigs. They seem to think that no other vehicle, or pedestrians for that matter have any right to use the road. It's actually a serious problem in Dublin. (There is a subgroup among cyclists in Dublin who are particularly bad though - couriers. The stuff they do on busy Dublin streets is absolutely crazy sometimes.)

I, however, live in Toronto and it's the exact opposite. Drivers here are extremely aware of cyclists and pedestrians. The pedestrian right-of-way law is respected here. Except... by cyclists. They cycle on paths, cycle the wrong way along roads - rarely use lights / or reflective gear. Cyclists here are just awful people. And to those who say, 'surely it's a minority and you can't tar them all with the same brush' you're wrong. They are the overwhelming majority.

Have to back up the point about cyclists in toronto. They're bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Oh goodie, a chance to express some of the stuff that irritates me every day as I cycle to work.

Sadly, there's no getting away from the truth, and that is that there are some seriously selfish cyclists out there. It most definitely isn't ALL cyclists though.

I totally agree with the comments about Dublin Bikes cyclists; they're (mostly) as disrespectful as cycle couriers, but they don't possess even a fraction of their cycling skills. I'm not saying being skilfully selfish would make it OK, but it might make the roads (and paths) a tad safer if they weren't a lethal mixture of selfish AND inept.

I see more Dublin Bikes cyclists plough through pedestrians/pedestrian lights than any other cyclist - it's amazing what one sees while waiting for the lights to change from red to green.

Not that motorists never break the lights - the pedestrian lights at the junction of Dame Street/George's Street can be really dodgy. I've often counted five cars driving through the red lights (while the green man is lit) as well as a few cyclists.

I've been cycling since I was a teenager (many years ago now) and the only accidents I've been involved in were while cycling in a cycling lane. On both occasions, a taxi driver allowed the passenger to open the passenger door without checking for cyclists first. The first time it happened, I didn't come off the bike and was just a bit shaken. The second time I did come off the bike, and the taxi driver drove off without checking if I was alive or dead. Now I'm quite nervous of cycling on a cycle lane that's just a strip of red (often faded) beside cars, especially if the cars have stopped. I have to slow down to check for taxis with passengers that might jump out all of a sudden - which in turn irritates any cyclists behind me because I'm not moving fast enough for them.

To be fair, I find most motorists to be respectful of me as I cycle, and I'm respectful of the rules of the road but the conditions for cyclists are dreadful in this country. Having spent a number of years living in the Netherlands, I admit my wish-list is probably a bit beyond Dublin's capabilities, but to not have to choose between a combination of convex and concave road anomalies that a bike isn't built for cycling over, or having an irate driver beep you back into the innermost edge of the road (where those convex and concave anomalies are waiting to knock you off your bike - or at least all the stuff in the basket out onto the road) would be nice.

Dublin could be a dream to cycle in, it has great potential, but when O' Connell Street was revamped and cycling lanes weren't part of that revamp, I realised that potential isn't going to be recognised for a long long time, if ever at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I've said it before and I'll say it again - how can you expect motorists to respect cyclists when the majority of them (in Dublin anyway) do not respect the rules of the road! I don't drive and I cycle through Dublin city every day of the week, and I can say, without fear of contradiction, that most cyclists run red lights.

It pisses me off as a cyclist, so no wonder motorists hate cyclists. There are some real gobshite drivers too - mostly bus drivers for some reason - who are more than happy to squish a cyclist onto the path. But cyclists are in no way blameless for the treatment that they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Do cyclists pay road tax

No. Either do you. It's motor tax. And I pay for the roads as you do from my taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Cyclists are fine when they obey the rules of the road. Or, y'know, cycle in SINGLE FILE when there's more than one of them.

There's a woman who frequently cycles the road I drive every morning with her daughter (teen). They cycle beside each other, on a road hit with traffic from 3 schools coming up to 9am every morning.

Height of ignorance :mad:

Maybe you should brush up on the ROTR. Cyclists are allowed ride two abreast in a group. I'll always exercise common sense and coutesy though, and let a car pass, like on a Sunday morning at 9am when it looks really urgent:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Cianos wrote: »
    I think the worst cyclists are the ones using dublinbikes. They have no concept of road safety or the rules of the road. I rarely see one wearing a helmet or safety gear. They are a danger to themselves, pedestrians and other road users.

Helmets are not required by law, and rightly so. Dublin bikes are all equipped with front and back lights which is enough as regards safety. I have seen a lot of crazy maneuvers by people riding them though.
    Helmets should be required by law. Why do you think it's right that they are not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

As both a cyclist, and a driver, there are good and bad in both.
    If they want to be treated with respect then stop cycling in the middle of the road and get out of the fucking way!

Main reason why cyclists hold the road is down to defenceve cycling, cycle to close to the kerb and your more likely to get squezzed againt the kerb or railings by other drivers passing you in the lane.
    Cyclists are fine when they obey the rules of the road. Or, y'know, cycle in SINGLE FILE when there's more than one of them.

There's a woman who frequently cycles the road I drive every morning with her daughter (teen). They cycle beside each other, on a road hit with traffic from 3 schools coming up to 9am every morning.

Height of ignorance :mad:

Re check your rules of the road, two cyclists are perfectly intitled to, and allowed to cycle two abreast.
    I think the worst cyclists are the ones using dublinbikes. They have no concept of road safety or the rules of the road. I rarely see one wearing a helmet or safety gear. They are a danger to themselves, pedestrians and other road users.

Absolutly agree 100%. Most cyclists who use dublin bikes are not actually cyclists, but POBS, pedestrians on bikes, with no regular experience of cycling in citys.
    mooeygooey wrote: »
    I have no problem with cyclists but it really boggles the mind when I see cyclists on the road when there's a perfectly good cycle lane right beside them. I mean, if it's there, why not use it and protect yourself and potentially not block traffic?

Try cycling in them, most a useless and full of traffic debries, broken glass, stones, and other items, parked cars, pedestrians (on the ones painted on the pavement), and an array of things that makes it just as safe for cyclists to use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have had my fill of cyclists, too many times have they crossed my path with unnecessary aggressive behaviour.

Yesterday there was a guy cycling on a road with a line of cars behind him. There was a cycle lane on the footpath that he wouldn't use, the traffic behind him was going mental and he was loving it.

I have lots of accounts of cyclists being ignorant jumped up little pricks but I won't go into them here, I'm saving them for my book that will explore the waste of brake disk dust on cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

People killed by motorists last year: ~250
    People killed by cyclists last year: 0

Yes clearly the real problem here is cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

**** the cyclists, stone them also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I was heading in to work one morning I was sat at a red light with a Garda car in the lane beside me. Not an unmarked car just to let you know it was a squad car. Multiple cyclists went through the red light not around the corner but straight across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic (the coast road - howth road junction) The Gards did nothing.

My main problem is that when they get to a red light and stop they don't stay in the cycle lane or side of the road. They stop ahead of all the cars vans trucks etc but they plant themselves in the middle of the lane so they're blocking you and any other traffic when the light goes green.

Cyclists aren't pedestrians, and there's not enough room on footpaths for bikes.

There's not enough room on the roads either.

Big Steve wrote: »
    My main problem is that when they get to a red light and stop they don't stay in the cycle lane or side of the road. They stop ahead of all the cars vans trucks etc but they plant themselves in the middle of the lane so they're blocking you and any other traffic when the light goes green
    They're doing this so that drivers don't try to turn left across them. They're not "blocking" you except for the few seconds it takes them to cross the junction when the light goes green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They're doing this so that drivers don't try to turn left across them. They're not "blocking" you except for the few seconds it takes them to cross the junction when the light goes green.

Most junctions are also surrounded by railings, bolloards etc. Even with drivers going straight ahead, they are going to be driving closer to the kerb when the lights change as they are closer together. Cyclists moving to the front of the line gives them a better chance to get away from the traffic as they are pulling away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Simple use hand signals. Problem solved. Then at least We know which direction we are going. I will admit there is a lot gob****es that don't use their indicators in their cars either. but cyclists use their hand signals a lot less that motorists use their indicators

Simple use hand signals. Problem solved
    If a left-turning driver hasn't noticed a cyclist on their inside then all the hand signals in the world aren't going to make any difference.

I don't see why cyclists should put themselves at risk by adopting a less safe road position so you can get away from a junction a few seconds faster. If your journey is that important then surely you should have lights+siren on your vehicle?

In fact "taking the lane" when stopped at junctions is recommended by safety organisations:
    Take up a visible position at lights or advanced stop lines: three metres out in front and not by the left kerb or very close to the lorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So they have free reign to act reckless and retarded as long as they don't kill anyone?....maybe we should apply your thinking to society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Way to selective quote, you get a banana sticker for competency in your chosen field.

Except it wasn't simply selective quoting, but a serious point. Everybody ranting about how dangerous all the cyclists in Dublin are is missing the fact that all that lunatic behaviour by all those insane cyclists has resulted in virtually zero actual damage, which means that either the lawbreaking is nowhere near as dangerous or nowhere near as widespread as you think. Meanwhile, the damage done by cars is glossed over, because people don't usually survive a car crash caused by recklessness and thus don't bring up the dangers - and their grieving relatives all drive, so drivers as a group don't get blamed.

You get a banana sticker for Condescension In The Service Of Missing The Point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm going to repost a post I made in another thread in the Commuting and Transportation forum, about the inadequacies of Dublin cycle lanes;

---

Okay, here is an example of a cycle lane that most non cyclists would consider a 'perfectly good cycle lane', but one that I refuse to cycle in.

Many would look at it and think there's nothing wrong with it. Even better, the road has recently been resurfaced and the lines are much more defined.

However, on a busy afternoon, this stretch is filled with adjacently parked cars, like the blue one in the link. The cycle lane is so close to this line of parked cars, that if a car were to open its doors, the door would swing right out in to the cycle lane. Cycling along, it's either smash in to the door, (potentially being flung off the bike and out under a car) or swerve out in to the road and be crushed by a car coming up fast from behind.

So yeah, Seamus was right. You might get pissed off with cyclists not being in the cycle lane, but you don't really know how safe or dangerous a cycle lane is until you're the one cycling on it.

So instead I cycle out in the cars lane, as I trust drivers behind me to consider my presence much more so than a kid opening the back door of a car, someone chatting away on the phone and not thinking, etc.

I was heading in to work one morning I was sat at a red light with a Garda car in the lane beside me. Not an unmarked car just to let you know it was a squad car. Multiple cyclists went through the red light not around the corner but straight across 4 or 5 lanes of traffic (the coast road - howth road junction) The Gards did nothing.

@^&"

No license = lots of paperwork, too much work/effort for bored Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I have no means of transportation other than my feet and my bicycle. That's it. Every day I ride my bicycle to work. Cold? I ride. Wet? I ride. Windy? I ride.

When I see a driver violate a traffic law, it's the exception. The majority of drivers stop at red lights (as an example). The majority of drivers do not drive on the walk path (as another example).

When I see a cyclists FOLLOW a traffic law, it's the exception. The majority of cyclists don't signal a turn, don't care what colour the light is (a red-light means yield to oncoming traffic; not stop), and most of them will gladly jump onto the walk path and weave in and out of pedestrians.

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote: »
    ---

Okay, here is an example of a cycle lane .

Try this one! :eek::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm a total arsehole. I steal bicycles and sell them on DoneDeal.ie. I steal from shops. When I go to pubs, I always leave before my turn to buy a round. When a girl says 'no', I figure she really means 'no, don't stop'.

I'm absolute scum.

People killed by Robdude last year: 0

So, I guess it's okay! Woohoo!

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm a total arsehole. I steal bicycles and sell them on DoneDeal.ie. I steal from shops. When I go to pubs, I always leave before my turn to buy a round. When a girl says 'no', I figure she really means 'no, don't stop'.

I'm absolute scum.

and that whooshing noise is the point going over your head.

The vitriol and ranting about reckless cyclists is totally out of proportion to the damage/injuries they actually cause, and is a classic example of psychological projection by motorists attempting to rationalise the wholesale carnage caused by their chosen means of transportation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ice zombie wrote: »
    As someone who both cycles and drives I'd be interested in know how many of you sole motorists with the retarded attitudes to cyclists do any exercise at all? Or are you just paying your road tax now only to cost the state thousands with your cardiovascular disease and diabetes in the future?

I suppose you're an endocrinologist?

Robdude wrote: »

I'm absolute scum.

If you have evidence that cyclists commit more acts of larceny and sexual assault while cycling than drivers do while driving, I'm all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

biko wrote: »
    It called motor tax for a reason.

It's called motor tax because it hasn't yet dawned on the government that there is an un-tapped source of revenue in cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

For the attention of pedestrians and joggers who use the cycle lanes near the canal. Check out the painted bicycle signs every 50 yards. This means this lane is exclusively for cyclists.

Use the adjacent footpath. The key is in the name. Try and engage your brain.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Way to selective quote, you get a banana sticker for competency in your chosen field.

Except it wasn't simply selective quoting, but a serious point. Everybody ranting about how dangerous all the cyclists in Dublin are is missing the fact that all that lunatic behaviour by all those insane cyclists has resulted in virtually zero actual damage, which means that either the lawbreaking is nowhere near as dangerous or nowhere near as widespread as you think. Meanwhile, the damage done by cars is glossed over, because people don't usually survive a car crash caused by recklessness and thus don't bring up the dangers - and their grieving relatives all drive, so drivers as a group don't get blamed.

Tell that to my sister who was left unconscious with her 5 year old daughter screaming with terror after a cyclist ran her over. Cyclist was cycling the wrong way down a one way street. Didn't even stop according to members of the public who helped my sister and tried to calm my niece down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    For the attention of pedestrians and joggers who use the cycle lanes near the canal. Check out the painted bicycle signs every 50 yards. This means this lane is exclusively for cyclists.

Use the adjacent footpath. The key is in the name. Try and engage your brain.

Thank you
    They would use the footpath except its unsafe due to the number of cyclists racing on it!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

Tomebagel wrote: »
    just let the cnuts use the footpaths,id rather them gettin in the way of other pedestrians then in the way of cars!

There is no room for cyclists on footpaths, I cycle 10k to college everyday. along the n11, I also use a road bike , the speeds I cycles at are not suited to a footpath filled with pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by Dangerous Man
    Cyclists in Dublin do get a raw deal - particularly in the city centre. A lot drivers behave like pigs. They seem to think that no other vehicle, or pedestrians for that matter have any right to use the road. It's actually a serious problem in Dublin. (There is a subgroup among cyclists in Dublin who are particularly bad though - couriers. The stuff they do on busy Dublin streets is absolutely crazy sometimes.)

I, however, live in Toronto and it's the exact opposite. Drivers here are extremely aware of cyclists and pedestrians. The pedestrian right-of-way law is respected here. Except... by cyclists. They cycle on paths, cycle the wrong way along roads - rarely use lights / or reflective gear. Cyclists here are just awful people. And to those who say, 'surely it's a minority and you can't tar them all with the same brush' you're wrong. They are the overwhelming majority.

Amsterdam was probably the first city to become bike friendly, I am not sure about that, but their cycling network is there a long time and envious. When I was there first years ago I didn't quite know what a cycling lane was. So as an Irishman and my god given right to jaywalk I would wonder into them.

The cyclists would actually go for you and curse you if they missed, they are very territorial about them. It would be a very brave motorist to park in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I'm assuming your referring to 2011 here? Any chance you could throw up a link for these figures because you seem to be coming up with ~60 more road deaths than any one else. Or maybe you just made up these statistics on the spot to suit your argument. So, is it possible that of the 9 cyclists killed on the roads last year that at least one of these was down to some action/ inaction of the cyclist? Or what about the 45 pedestrians killed? Have you some evidence to support your claim that these were killed by motorists?

We can all sit in front of our computers and preach about how all cyclists are at fault or how all motorists are at fault but the fact is every road user has a responsibility when it comes to reducing road deaths and I don't think any of us are perfect. So why not sort out our own short comings first and then we might notice a big change on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

No, selective quoting is exactly what it was.
    I'm a pedestrian, and I've only ever been hit by a cyclist. A lot of them seem to think that because they ride a bike, rules of the road don't apply to them. Not all, but I've seen it happen a fair bit that they run a red light to go around a corner. Either use the fucking footpath or stop at red lights, assholes.

I wasn't "Ranting and raving about all the cyclists". I was, and am, pissed off about SOME cyclists who behave like schmucks and either don't know the rules or think they just don't apply because their vehicle is people-powered.

Now, if this was a thread called "All people who drive are lovely", I'd also have several things to say about how no, they're not, some of those are absolute bastards. If this was a thread called "I'm a pedestrian, I should be able to walk in front of cars if I want" Then I would say no, you're a moron, stop doing that. But seeing as this is a fucking thread about cyclists, let's talk about cyclists, yeah? Can you do that, fella? That was me being condescending.

SteoL wrote: »

Tell that to my sister who was left unconscious with her 5 year old daughter screaming with terror after a cyclist ran her over. Cyclist was cycling the wrong way down a one way street. Didn't even stop according to members of the public who helped my sister and tried to calm my niece down.

I'm genuinely sorry that happened, but it doesn't change the fact that such incidents are thankfully extremely rare, nor does it change the fact that if it had been a car both her and your niece would almost certainly have been killed. I know on an individual level it's awful, but one person knocked unconscious doesn't even begin to compare to the numbers of deaths and life-changing injuries caused by drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As a cyclist I have been caught out a few times going through red lights. The reason is because as a motorist I'm so used to going through amber lights that I forget that I can't go through them as quickly!

I wasn't "Ranting and raving about all the cyclists". I was, and am, pissed off about SOME cyclists who behave like schmucks and either don't know the rules or think they just don't apply because their vehicle is people-powered.

Now, if this was a thread called "All people who drive are lovely", I'd also have several things to say about how no, they're not, some of those are absolute bastards. If this was a thread called "I'm a pedestrian, I should be able to walk in front of cars if I want" Then I would say no, you're a moron, stop doing that. But seeing as this is a fucking thread about cyclists, let's talk about cyclists, yeah? Can you do that, fella? That was me being condescending.

Nobody else was looking to discuss cyclists in total isolation from other road users. In fact, there's a heated discussion about relative risk between cyclists and drivers. You're seeking to isolate the discussion completely and avoid talking about other risks on the road, all of which are relevant to the discussion. As you've managed to show, I didn't quote you even slightly out of context, because all you want to discuss on this thread is lawbreaking among cyclists.

Nobody else was looking to discuss cyclists in total isolation from other road users. In fact, there's a heated discussion about relative risk between cyclists and drivers. You're seeking to isolate the discussion completely and avoid talking about other risks on the road, all of which are relevant to the discussion. As you've managed to show, I didn't quote you even slightly out of context, because all you want to discuss on this thread is lawbreaking among cyclists.

My post was second or third or whatever, there was pretty much zero conversation at that point. Stop picking at sh!t that isn't there.

EDIT:

Would you have preferred my post looked like this:
    I'm a pedestrian, and I've only ever been hit by a cyclist. A lot of them seem to think that because they ride a bike, rules of the road don't apply to them. Not all, but I've seen it happen a fair bit that they run a red light to go around a corner. Either use the ****ing footpath or stop at red lights, assholes.

Also, drivers of many different varieties of vehicles can also be bad, and so can pedestrians, and so can people wearing hats, and so can swimmers, and so can dog owners, and so can watch makers, and so can builders, and so can Steves, and so can healthcare workers, and so can tap dancers, and so can(Until the end of time). But not all of them!

?

Well, given that your only response to "not all cyclists are jerks" was "hey, some are jerks", I'm not sure there was any point in you posting.

Sorry, that's not strictly true. You gave out about some cyclists breaking the law and said they should be breaking another law instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think it's unfair to provide a label on anyone. Yeah sure some cyclists are dickheads. (The ones that really piss me off are the ones that think they can fly full speed into a pedestrian crossing and the onus is on you to automatically stop for them. I've grown to expect it now, but Jesus! on a really bad day with poor visibility I sometimes find myself questioning their presence of gray matter inside that skull.) Some motorists are also dickheads. Depending on where in Ireland you are you meet all sorts. Cyclists, motorists, pedestrians it's all the same; you can't control them, all you can do is control is your own vehicle or feet and do the best you can.

• Advertisement

Also: yes, mentioning all the relevant categories of people who can be jerks would have been less objectionable than singling one group out in exactly the way the OP correctly objected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A friend of mine was cycling home yesterday and was overtaken by a speeding car when he was going around a tight band. The driver caused him to come off his bike and he fractured his collar bone in multiple places.

Looks painful. He drove off... :(.

Well, given that your only response to "not all cyclists are jerks" was "hey, some are jerks", I'm not sure there was any point in you posting.

Sorry, that's not strictly true. You gave out about some cyclists breaking the law and said they should be breaking another law instead.

Because this is a forum, where you post. Why did anyone post? Why was this thread started? Why were the threads this is a response to started? Why does the Internet even exist? Why are we here? Are you there, God, it's me, Margaret?

My point being, that at least I know you're there if I see you on a footpath, not even necessarily cycling, but magically appearing at what seems like the speed of light from between two cars and slamming right the fuck into me is not on. Also, I don't like it when other people act dangerously either (:rolleyes::rolleyes:).

Fart wrote: »
    A friend of mine was cycling home yesterday and was overtaken by a speeding car when he was going around a tight band. The driver caused him to come off his bike and he fractured his collar bone in multiple places.

Looks painful. He drove off... :(.

A similar case with me, but I didn't break anything and the lunatic turned up into capel street but into traffic. I then caught up with him, banged on his window and shouted, "you fukcen hit me" he then locked his doors, in rage I belted his roof into a big dint, then he called the guards. I turned up into smithfield market, feeling my work was done.

I was ashamed of my scumbag reaction but you really get primal when someone shows that much inconsideration at nearly killing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

44leto wrote: »
    A similar case with me, but I didn't break anything and the lunatic turned up into capel street but into traffic. I then caught up with him, banged on his window and shouted, "you fukcen hit me" he then locked his doors, in rage I belted his roof into a big dint, then he called the guards. I turned up into smithfield market, feeling my work was done.

I was ashamed of my scumbag reaction but you really get primal when someone shows that much inconsideration at nearly killing you.

I think your behaviour was disgraceful!! You should have keyed the car too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I'm genuinely sorry that happened, but it doesn't change the fact that such incidents are thankfully extremely rare, nor does it change the fact that if it had been a car both her and your niece would almost certainly have been killed. I know on an individual level it's awful, but one person knocked unconscious doesn't even begin to compare to the numbers of deaths and life-changing injuries caused by drivers.

Understand what you're saying and yes it's unthinkable what could have happened had a car been involved. However, I also feel had my niece been struck by him instead of my sister she could have been killed - she is tiny and if the force of the impact was enough to render a fully grown adult unconscious I shudder to think what could have been.

I do realise this was just one cyclist out of possibly thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was out cycling one day and came across a guarda car parked in the cycling lane.

The two kunts inside having their lunch. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Sometimes I wonder how many people in any given hospital ,would be there if they cycled everywhere instead of driving ?

But thats just silly ,people can eat what they like!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Was out cycling one day and came across a guarda car parked in the cycling lane.

The two kunts inside having their lunch. :rolleyes:

Its maddening when anyone parks in one, you have to stop and get around the car on a sometimes busy road. It can be a lethal and I add an irresponsible thing to do in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Posted from a device that wouldn't be in your possession if it wasn't for the motor vehicle... Apart from couriers, cycling and cyclists contribute nothing to the functioning of a modern city like Dublin. While without motor vehicles we could go back to a subsistence farming society.

You could make the argument that cycling on a public road in a busy city is a pretty selfish act on a micro level at least. (Macro level would bring in stuff like the health benefits to society and fuel dependency reduction)

It boils down to delaying significant numbers of people on there own commute (for example when cycling in a bus lane) for your own convenience.

IMO cyclists should be in seperate lanes like along the Grand Canal... where there is a spacious footpath a section should be given to the new cycle lane, where there is a spacious road a section should be given to the new cycle lane.

Where there is no space and at busy areas (Dame St for example) cyclists should just hop off the bike and walk*... The stress and delay that cyclists cause to motorists, public transport and pedestrians in these areas is pretty significant.

*I'd also argue that the private car has no place in these areas either, but that's another debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

lividduck wrote: »
    They would use the footpath except its unsafe due to the number of cyclists racing on it!:mad:

That is not true on the Canal Way cycle route.

A couple of hours ago a motorist came out of a side lane on Upper Pembroke Street where there is no left turn and proceeded to turn left gesticulating that she was going to Fitzwilliam Square.

No wonder the country is in trouble when its citizens dont respect the laws.

• Advertisement
Advertisement