Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross quoting between different forums

Options
  • 27-04-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭

I just discovered that it is considered bad form to quote a poster's comment in one forum during a discussion in another forum. I wondered what the idea was behind this as I had assumed that anything you post is up for comment.

For example, if a poster in After Hours said that politician x was the greatest thing since sliced bread but then posted in Politics to say that the same politician was a corrupt gombeen, surely one should be able to point out that they are being a hypocrite.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because you may quote something in your post that, should it be seen by the the original poster, they may feel the need to respond to. But posting in a forum (or indeed a thread) other than where they posted may mean that they are completely unaware that they have been quoted and potentially be misquoted or their remarks may be taken out of context.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Discodog that rule was always in place in the forum and you well knew it.

And once again you have decided to take it to feedback to question the mods decision that gave you the yellow card.

It is completely bad form to cross post and quote from one forum to another.

For example a couple of years back I posted some stuff in AH that would have had the report button going mad had I posted it in the A+p forum.

If anyone had have used that in a quote in future then that user would have received a similar infraction.

Different forums have different rules so while it might be ok to discuss the something in AH that wouldnt be allowed in another forum quoting a users post from AH in whatever forum the genuine discussion is going on in is really bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Zaph wrote: »
    Because you may quote something in your post that, should it be seen by the the original poster, they may feel the need to respond to. But posting in a forum (or indeed a thread) other than where they posted may mean that they are completely unaware that they have been quoted and potentially be misquoted or their remarks may be taken out of context.

I agree but what if you are quoting them in a thread in which they are actively posting ? This would be the more likely scenario as you would be quoted something that they said, in another forum, that contradicts what they are now posting. You will note that I sent an apology to the relevant Mod.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Discodog that rule was always in place in the forum and you well knew it.

And once again you have decided to take it to feedback to question the mods decision that gave you the yellow card.

It is completely bad form to cross post and quote from one forum to another.

For example a couple of years back I posted some stuff in AH that would have had the report button going mad had I posted it in the A+p forum.

If anyone had have used that in a quote in future then that user would have received a similar infraction.

Different forums have different rules so while it might be ok to discuss the something in AH that wouldnt be allowed in another forum quoting a users post from AH in whatever forum the genuine discussion is going on in is really bad taste.

My question has nothing to do with any recent event other than it bought my attention to a rule that I didn't know existed. If it were in reaction to the comments of a Moderator then I would of posted in dispute resolution.

Yet again an API Mod has leapt in to a thread here & posted comments that have no relevance to my question. The purpose of Feedback, as I understand it, is to solicit the opinions of others & that is what I am legitimately doing. You will note that I used an example that bears no connection to API. AFAIK it's not specifically mentioned in the API charter, unless it's just been added, & I couldn't see any reference to it in the Boards FAQ.

I am not discussing different forum rules. If you had posted something in After Hours, that directly related to a topic that you were actively discussing in API, then I would say that quoting your remarks could be valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Discodog I have permabanned your from A&PI. You are a constant time sink on the local Mods. This passive aggressive feedback thread is a classic example of how you refuse to accept responsibility for your own actions. It's not them, its you.

I don't doubt for a second that you are a very knowledgeable poster but the soapboxing, constant questioning of rules, Charters, Mod action etc. is just too much. I can't in good conscience keep sacrificing the sanity of the Mods for one poster. To pre-empt further discussion I'm closing this thread now. We can open a dialogue in the Help Desk if you wish and the A&PI Mods can join in the discussion.

This is not real feedback, this is grinding an axe on your part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement