Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to bypass electric heater contactor?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 9:11pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of wall mounted heaters in the flat and the large one in the sitting room has no power at the spur.

I had a look at the consumer unit and notice there is a contactor feeding the spur for the heater which is not giving any output (probably stuck permanently open). The contactor is an ABB unit and the part number is B1029-40-00

Do I need the contactor or can I simply bypass it (feed the heater circuit directly from the 20A breaker)?
    If it is necessary to replace the contactor, can anyone recommend where I could get an equivalent unit?
    I did search online for an exact replacement but as it's quite old, it does not seem to be available any longer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

quick questions
    are you a sparks(i wouldnt advise opening the consumer unit otherwise)
    are you sure its the contactor(have you bridged it out)
    this contactor is timed
    is the thermostat turned up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Storage heater?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Sounds like a storage heater that only gets supply at night from the ESB clock. I suggest you get a an electrician to look at your heaters & check them out. The idea of the contactor is to get 1/2 price electricity for the heater, if you short it out it will cost you twice as much to run it. The Thermal overload ( built into the heater may be gone) from somebody putting clothes etc on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

the contactor may only be energised by the night tarrif............and it wouls probably be there to stop a backfeed if the heater is fed fron another normal source of electricity.....

is there another spur for the storage heater somewhere close to the heater....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

the contactor may only be energised by the night tarrif............and it wouls probably be there to stop a backfeed if the heater is fed fron another normal source of electricity.....

is there another spur for the storage heater somewhere close to the heater....

Nothing to do with backfeeds, just a switching method to allow a low rated timer contact to switch on relatively large heating loads.

Advertisement