Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build(last time asking i promise)

Options
  • 27-04-2012 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

Ive had my last pc for 7 years so I want this one to last a good long time.i can upgrade bits as I go along.id like it to be a quiet pc with a great looking case.(I don’t mind paying extra)I really like the corsair obdisian 650d so something like it would be good(tell me if you think im insane),maybe not that expensive(opinions are welcome)id like a dvd writer,120gb ssd and 2 1tb hard drives.

1 What is your budget? €900 max

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Video editing/HTPC/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No id like all new

5. Do you need a monitor? no

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] no don’t plan to upgrade

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any way

9. When are you purchasing? As soon as I see what you guys come up with.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick.if theres anyone I could ask for help down here it would be great.its my first build.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

luyolo wrote: »

No your right I won't be gaming.thanks for this.the only thing is I don't like the case.would all cases be compatible with this setup or what am I looking for ?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I can give you a hand with building, I'm in limerick, but I won't be free till the 14th as I'm in the middle of exams. maybe someone else might be of better help. otherwise, you can pay them 20e to build it for you.

wrt cases, have you looked on the website, does anything stand out? a case is a very subjective thing.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I can give you a hand with building, I'm in limerick, but I won't be free till the 14th as I'm in the middle of exams. maybe someone else might be of better help. otherwise, you can pay them 20e to build it for you.

wrt cases, have you looked on the website, does anything stand out? a case is a very subjective thing.

Ill have a look at the cases online and ill tell you what I pick and id be willing to wait until the 14th if its ok with you.i really want to attempt the build but scared ****less in case something goes wrong.its no small amount of money to be messing up the mb or cpu etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

crazygeryy wrote: »
    No your right I won't be gaming.thanks for this.the only thing is I don't like the case.would all cases be compatible with this setup or what am I looking for ?
    Thanks again.

Compatability should not be an issue, its mainly down to the cooling quality of the case, and since its your first build, its ease of use. You mention the 650D in your first post and this is a good quality case that would suit your build fine.

Corsair have recently released a newer mid tower case to replace the 650D, the 550D which is also getting good reviews.

Another good quality corsair case is the 600T and as Tea Bag will tell you its a lovely case to work with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The Carbide 500R would be the same price as the Fractal you don't like, and awesome.

There's also a black version, but why would you want that :pac:

Just one more thing.would the i5 be suitable for that build? Would save a few quid and I could get a better case.?

2500k is a fantastic chip in it's own right, you'd probably lose a bit of power for video editing but not much.

2500k is a fantastic chip in it's own right, you'd probably lose a bit of power for video editing but not much.

Ok cheers thanks.id say ill go with the 550 and the 2500k.

does this look ok guys?

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155

ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

Samsung SH-B123L Retail

8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9

Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D, ATX,

• Advertisement

Throw this cooler in (for overclocking) and you're good to go.

Throw this cooler in (for overclocking) and you're good to go.

can you suggest an alternative to this Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W

they are out of them on hardwareversand.

would this be ok?

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W

Yeah, same thing only better.

Advertisement