Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressor plug

Options
  • 27-04-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Bought a compressor today but there are four wires for the plug black,blue,brown and green/yellow how do I wire this????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

any chance of pic of the ratings plate(i.e voltage and amp)
    or a link to the compressor

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

It turns out it a three phase induction motor its a 3hp / 2 · 2kw volts 230 / 400 amps 9.0 / 5.3 can this be run by single phase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

paul127 wrote: »
    It turns out it a three phase induction motor its a 3hp / 2 · 2kw volts 230 / 400 amps 9.0 / 5.3 can this be run by single phase?

no I dont think so

I think its probably 3 phase dual voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yes you can run it off single phase, the easiest way would be using a Variable Speed Drive. most VSD's can convert 240V single phase to 240V three phase by rectifying the input 1phase into DC and then converting this to a 3phase output. AFAIK as a rule of thumb you need to double the rating of the VSD if you are using it for this, so you would need a 4kw VSD.

Couple of things to consider though..

Is it worth the hassle-can you return it & get a single phase model?

Cost-even a bog standard VSD would set you back 200 minimum, plus cost to fit & setup. Know that all VSD's can be used to run a 3 phase motor, but some manufacturers lock out the option to do so in the setup menus. Last time I did this (a fair few years back) I used an ABB unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes the vsd will supply 230v 3-phase but not worth the expense probably

2.2kw /3hp is a standard size

the SP model runs off a 16amp plug if i recall

• Advertisement
Advertisement