Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Surround Sound to TV - No sound output

• 27-04-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a pretty basic question i think but I dont seem to have figured it out! Just went about connecting a surround sound system to my TV but I am not getting any sound out. I have connected directly to laptop and the speakers work fine with this

My setup is as follows: sky box connected through HDMI, surround sound connected to line out. I think the prob is that when the TV is in HDMI mode the sound is not output to Line Out? Would that make sense? The TV is a Nordmende. Is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

as far as i know sky box does not send sound via hdmi, you need an optical cable for audio out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya you need to go optical out on sky box to optical in on surround sound receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

dharn wrote: »
    as far as i know sky box does not send sound via hdmi, you need an optical cable for audio out
    My TV outputs sound from sky box, and only connection between them is the hdmi cable.so I presume the hdmi carrys sound also. Would rather connect speakers to TV, but may just have to go to sky box directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

then try optical out from tv to surround system and set up your tv that way or analog out from tv to surround system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

briN_s wrote: »
    My TV outputs sound from sky box, and only connection between them is the hdmi cable.so I presume the hdmi carrys sound also. Would rather connect speakers to TV, but may just have to go to sky box directly

Sky does sound over HDMI however if you want Dolby Digital (5.1 when available) you need to use the optical out on the sky box, typically to your surround sound optical in connection. Dolby Digital needs to then also be enabled in the Sky menu.

• Advertisement

dharn wrote: »
    set up your tv that way or analog out from tv to surround system

Thats the bit im wondering about :) My surround sound system is a cheap setup and has no optical i/p. Im just wondering is there a way to set up my TV to pass sound from sky box out to 'line out'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

With a Sky HD box ( must be a HD box if it has HDMI ) all of the outputs are active at the same time.

For sound , you have HDMI , Optical , Digital Co axial , or Stereo left and right via red and white RCA's. Scart will also have sound on it.

For any of these to work with your current surround system you must have a corresponding "input".

Not "output" , as you seem to suggest in the post above , for sound , connections are one way , if any connector is labelled as an output , thats no good to you and wont accept a signal from your TV or Sky box.

Since its release , Sky HD has carried stereo only over the HDMI , no Dolby Digital or surround formats. For surround you had to use either the optical out or the digital co-axial out.

There are now some boxes on the market that do surround over HDMI , these are very new though.

Optical and Digital co axial do surround. Left and right stereo or Scart does stereo only.

Sorry, my last post may not have been very clear. I have the sky box connected to the HDMI input of the TV. I want to connect the surround sound to the TV, for this I have connected it to the line out ( red and white RCA connectors). However, the sound from the sky box is not output to the line out. I am wondering should this be possible to do? I have checked the menus on the TV and I cant see a setting that might transfer the sound to the line out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

I am wondering should this be possible to do?

No , not normally , the vast majority of TV's only output sound for their own internal tuners to the TV's sound output.

You can connect a cable from the Sky box to the your surround , that should work fine.

For Sky HD and surround systems , the normal connection routine is HDMI direct to the TV , and either optical or some other sound connection to the surround system.

andy1249 wrote: »
    No , not normally , the vast majority of TV's only output sound for their own internal tuners to the TV's sound output.

OK, good to know, thanks, will just connect the sky box to the surround sound directly

• Advertisement
Advertisement