Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to judge an apartment?

Options
  • 27-04-2012 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi all,just wondering how should I analyse such a property if I viewed one with a view to purchase,probably with a view to living in it myself?.

I'm interested in relocating to Galway and tbh it's a very expensive city and most houses are too expensive for me. There is cheapish apartments though which could probably be negotiated down a bit further.

The positive side of apartments: Lower maintenance and cheaper to buy,probably less chance of break in?

Negatives: lot's of tenant occupiers,who knows who they are? poor insulation and noise from neighbouring units? poorly built?.

If you were looking at one what would you look out for?.

Danke

F:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Have you lived (rented) an apartment before?

It sounds like you are only considdering the apartment because its in your price range. Apartments are not suitable for the average buyer, they are fine to be rented but most buyer grow out of them within a very short time.
    Buying now means you better be happy with what you have, as you wont be able to move for years.

Rent one first and see what you think after a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The positive side of apartments: Lower maintenance and cheaper to buy,probably less chance of break in?
    Don't forget the maintenance charges probably between 1k and 2k a year over which you as an individual have little control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Hi I've lived in an apartment block in Germany which was ok and a bedsit in Galway which was awful. Yeah house prices in Galway rival,at times surpass Dublin. Point taken about tiring of such though. Irish apartments tend to be badly built too. I'll take in a few views.

Advertisement