Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacarra Estates

Options
  • 27-04-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Family member is planning to buy a semi detached house in the Knocknacarra area, there are so many estates and houses for sale, we are not that familiar with all of them so hoping to research it as much as possible before making the big move.
    Anyone have any advice or suggestions? We would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

eg www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=598527

this one's in good nick & the estate is nice and quiet, only 1 mile from prom and when the roadworks are finished good access to the east of the city
    prices though are still in lala-land but it's a buyers market at least, if you've a fat piggy bank!
    best of luck with the move

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Knockers in general is a good area.
    The easiest way to go about it (I think) is to drive around and look at the state of the various estates over a few weekends.
    Also some late night driving.

Personally there is no area in Knockers I'd avoid but I'd try to live close to either Joyces or any of the shops, for convenience. Or at least walking distance from Sheridan's pub...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Semis in that area fell a lot in the last year and as they will certainly fall as much again this year you should spend that time researching the area. Get serious when the prices hit around €120k-€130k

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Id wait 12 months if i was you...houses still going one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Most estates in Knocknacarra are grand. When we were buying, we wanted a fairly modern house (built in the last 15yrs or so) which would be the majority of houses in the area and for it to be an estate that was mainly occupied by working people, young families, child and pet friendly, owner occupied.

If your relation is looking for somewhere similiar (we just wanted our neighbours to be normal working people, no scum, no snobs!)
    I'd suggest just driving around the area to see which estates or houses you like the look of. Then drive and walk through the estate at various times. See how many cars are there during the day and how many are there in the evening. Are there children out playing? Are there any shortcuts through the estate? Is there a recreational area? Is the estate generally well maintained?

Walk through the area at night and especially weekend nights to see if it's somewhere local teens like to hang out drinking and make sure there's no issues with anti-social behaviour.

If they don't drive, check that the area is on/near a bus route.

Prices have come down a lot. I'd imagine a decent 3bed semi is in the region of €150-200k now but there's plenty of websites to keep an eye on what's available

For us, we were buying our home for life so it was so important to be 100% happy with the area. Good luck to them in their search:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CJ1

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Anyone have any opinion on Manor Court estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

A few observations from my own time in K'carra some years back - especially for people buying a house -

Avoid a house very near a shop
    Avoid a house very near a open grassy area
    [both for the congregation of teenagers nearby]
    Some houses (e.g. Drom Oir) are wooden framed, and while VERY well insulated for heat, not great for sound. One I lived in, you could hear the neighbour turning on light switches and pulling curtains closed. The Velux windows in the upper bedrooms were also very noisy when it rained, also annoying if you like it dark when you sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

The area around the clybaun hotel is great.

Near Dunnes stores & Clybaun stores corner shop.

Near green areas for walks with dogs etc.

Bus route that leaves every half hour.

:D

Advertisement